Thought my gout would be gone.

Mike D.
on 7/12/14 10:27 pm
VSG on 04/11/14

Hello again OH friends. For the last 3years I have had a bout of gout every 3to6 months. Thinking for as little as I am taking in, and as you know the diet change, well 3 months post op and here it is again. Thank god I have meds for such flair ups, but as I get to goal will this go away?

Mike  5'10"   Starting weight: 287  SW: 256  CW: 199.4 M1: -10   M2: -18

(deactivated member)
on 7/13/14 1:54 am - Canada

In the old times they called gout the rich mans disease.  Your diet which is mostly protein (meat & veggie) is probably causing the flare up.  I know my ex experienced his first flare up while on the Atkins diet.  Sorry to say but you may experience your flare ups just as often.  I would talk to your NUT about dietary changes that may help.  It could be only certain proteins (I believe seafood is the worst culprit) cause the flares.  Do some research.  I believe it can be better controlled by diet.

It is a very painful condition, I'm really sorry you are suffering with this :(

(deactivated member)
on 7/13/14 3:30 am

From what I understand, once prone to gout, always prone to gout. While losing weight has been shown to help those with gout, food high in purines which convert to uric acid in the body can exacerbate flare ups and symptoms of gout. Our VSG diet is in general not so gout friendly. I lifted the following from WebMD for you to read. BTW, Ibuprofen is supposed to help (if you're allowed to take it). Hope you feel better soon!

• Purines (specific chemical compounds found in some foods) are broken down into uric acid. A diet rich in purines from certain sources can raise uric acid levels in the body, which sometimes leads to gout. Meat and seafood may increase your risk of gout. Dairy products may lower your risk.

Foods to limit (very high in purines):

Organ meats, such as liver, kidneys, sweetbreads, and brains
  • Meats, including bacon, beef, pork, and lamb
  • Game meats
  • Any other meats in large amounts
  • Anchovies, sardines, herring, mackerel, and scallops
  • Gravy
  • Beer

Foods to eat occasionally (moderately high in purines, but may not raise your risk of gout):

• Fish and seafood (other than high purine seafood)
  • Oatmeal, wheat bran, and wheat germ

Foods that are safe to eat (low in purines):

• Green vegetables and tomatoes
  • Fruits and fruit juices
  • Breads and cereals that are not whole-grain
  • Butter, buttermilk, cheese, and eggs
  • Chocolate and cocoa
  • Coffee, tea, and carbonated beverages
  • Peanut butter and nuts

Dairy products that may lower your risk of gout:

• Low-fat or nonfat milk
  • Low-fat yogurt

If you have experienced a gout attack or have high uric acid in your blood (hyperuricemia), it may help to reduce your intake of meat, seafood, and alcohol.1

Changing your diet may help lower your risk of having future attacks of gout. Doctors recommend that overweight people who have gout reach and stay at a healthy body weight by getting moderate exercise daily and regulating their fat and caloric intake.

Scarson
on 7/13/14 3:53 am - Canada

indomethacyn is treatment of choise for an acute gouty arthritis attack.

tdaquin
on 7/14/14 10:38 pm - LA
VSG on 11/05/12

As someone who has dealt with gout for a long time, I can tell you for me flare ups have been reduced to almost nothing. I used to get gout about every 3-4 months. I will be two years post op in November and I have had only one flare up ( at about one month post op). So hopefully for you it will be reduced to where I take no meds for gout!!!

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 85 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 298 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 346 views