Surgery July 8th.....no restriction

Adner65
on 7/13/14 12:43 pm

Sleeved on July 8th. On protein liquids until July 24th. Suppose to drink 4 a day. I can do 3. Absolutely hate all of it. I sure hope i can live a sleeved life without them. Anyways, thats another topic for another day. I can drink 8 ounce in an hour is that normal. I feel no restriction. I go to bed every night with a gnawing hunger. Never had issue with heartburn. I don't need any pain meds but I'm using them to help me sleep. Which I hate because I'm not a pill taker. Post surgery I have to take prilosec for 60 days. So my question is shouldn't I feel restriction with my protein drinks, will I ever feel restriction. 

Gwen M.
on 7/13/14 1:15 pm
VSG on 03/13/14

You will. Your stomach is still healing from severed nerves right now - anything you think it's telling you is a lie. Once it is healed and you're on solids, restriction will kick in. 

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Adner65
on 7/13/14 1:22 pm

Thank-you Gwen.  So its okay to drink 8 ounces in an hour?

Brenda

worldtraveler
on 7/13/14 1:31 pm - Denver, CO

Yes. I was told not more than 2oz every 15 minutes. That works out to 8oz per 60 minutes. You are fine :)

Adner65
on 7/13/14 3:54 pm

Thank-you:)

greensleeved
on 7/14/14 12:31 am
VSG on 07/10/14 with

My doc said no more than 4 oz every 15 minutes so that has been my goal. I was sleeved on the 10th and haven't made that goal yet, but I'm trying again today. I'm sure when you are eating solids the restriction will be there. Things just aren't normal in your tummy yet.

At least you don't have to worry about dehydration! That's great. I don't feel like drinking because it feels weird and puts pressure on my insides, but the idea of having to have yet another IV is keeping me at it!

"Free your ass, and your mind will follow."  HW - 287, Start W - 273, Surgery W - 257, Onederland - 4 months 1 week post op,  100 lbs lost - 8 months 1 week, CW - 162

Adner65
on 7/14/14 4:14 am

Greensleeve thank you for your response. I agree no more IV's and hospitals, that is why I'm forcing myself to drink this horrible protein drinks:)  I here you about the pressure on the inside, helps to drink when walking.  Good luck!!

Lemily
on 7/14/14 2:20 am
VSG on 01/16/14

If you are not feeling the restriction right now, you are probably drinking as slow as you should be and definitely following direction. I gulped water one day too fast and felt this pain in my chest, it was awful. I agree with the others, i started 2 ounces every 15 minutes or so. Your nerves are cut so you really wont feel the restriction just yet. I started to feel it on week 2 when i went to full liquids and yogurts. Because your nerves are cut its SO important to measure everything and eat slow.

I am 6 months out and usually i have 1 protein shake a day. I add unflavored protein powder to my coffee. If i dont feel like eating anything on the weekends or i know im going someplace later on where I wont be totally in compliance with my usual regiment, I throw another shake into the mix.

Living a sleeved life doesnt mean you have to be on protein shakes always. Dont rush yourself or try and guess to much into the future. Focus on healing and retraining your tummy to accept food as well as working on good eating habits.

GOod luck!

Adner65
on 7/14/14 4:22 am

Thank-you. You are right I need to take this one day at a time. 

Most Active