VSG after a heart attack

Zana B.
on 7/14/14 12:06 am

Hi all,

I'm looking for opinions on this, I really want to undergo the VSG, but I keep getting so many different opinions from doctors. 

I had a heart attack five months ago and I am taking therapy for it. In the meantime I had another minor rhino-plastic intervention with full anesthesia, for what in consultation with the cardiologist I took blood thinners instead of therapy a few days before and after and I was perfectly fine.

Yet, with regards to the VSG doctors' opinions vary a lot. I have not yet spoken to the cardiologist, but I am sure I will before I decide anything. However in my head I have already decided I need a surgery as I have pretty much tried everything, and after the heart attack I have slowed down a lot in terms of lifestyle and energy in general which is my main cause of worries, I worry I will instead of losing weight as recommended that I will gain and risk another attack. 

I'm 33 years old, my current BMI is 40.5, it was such or almost there, for the last five years, and it was always above 30 since I was a teenager.

Please, anyone who has had a similar situation tell me your opinions on this

Thanks in advance

Zana

grayC
on 7/14/14 2:04 am
VSG on 05/01/13

IMHO and I am in no way a Dr or a medical professional of any kind...

having the surgery even with the added risk of your prior heart attack

would be your best bet for a healthy life going forward..

your so young..you have your whole life ahead of you

and VSG will help you stay healthy (if you follow plan and do as the Drs instruct)

let your heart attack be your Ah HA moment..

good luck!

Mary Gee
on 7/14/14 2:36 am - AZ
VSG on 05/14/14

I have congestive heart failure.  Had to get cardio approval before surgery, and undergo some additional testing.  Got clearance with no problem.

HW: 380 SW: 324 GW: 175  

rumpole6
on 7/14/14 3:29 am

After testing my cardiologist said there was no additional risk to having the surgery, but that reducing the weight would reduce my current risk level.

Preop Diet 10/4/14; Sleeve: 10/13/14

Tracy D.
on 7/14/14 4:13 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

My mom has suffered two heart attacks and it's always up to her cardiologist to give the green-light for other surgeries.  In her case, he has determined that her heart isn't strong enough to withstand going under anesthesia again.  For anything...

It doesn't sound like that's your issue.  You're much younger and your cardiologist already had you do another surgery.  I'm betting with the "all clear" that the VSG docs will proceed.  

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

butterfly3851
on 7/14/14 10:15 am - TX

I had a heart attack in 2007 and was cleared by my cardiologist (after nuclear stress treadmill test & much consultation) to have VSG in 2013.  He is thrilled with my results but still monitors my heart disease & medications.

Good luck to you!

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 131 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 388 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 421 views