Lung test shows Hypoxemia

secretsleeves
on 7/15/14 12:20 am

Good Morning, I searched online and sometimes too much information is overwhelming. I know most of us have to have the pulmonary tests prior to surgery so I am guessing quite a few of you have had this happen as well. So I dropped off my pulse ox yesterday and at 4:00PM my online chart showed I had a diagnosis of hypoxemia. I have my appt with my lung dr later this afternoon, and I know this is not medical advice, but I am thinking I am about to get signed up for a sleep study and possibly having sleep apnea. I also had a firm diagnosis of asthma during my lung test on Friday. If anyone knows anything about receiving that diagnosis after that sleeping pulse ox I would appreciate knowing how it went for you. Thank you in advance and I hope everyone is having a great day so far!

VSG on 8/6/2014

civilmomma
on 7/15/14 2:26 am
VSG on 03/07/14

If it was *just* the overnight pulse ox monitor test - YES - sleep apnea would be my guess.  You will likely go for a sleep study, get a CPAP and you will have to USE it. 

The risk with people who have sleep apnea going under anesthesia is that your body is more used to lower Oxygen levels and it is just easier for your body to let itself slip away during surgery.

My husband has severe sleep apnea and as long as he uses his CPAP (which he has been for 8 years now) there shouldn't be a problem with being OK'd for surgery.

ticker5'-8",HW 347,SW329,M1-25 M2-17 M3-11 M4-13 M5-14 pregnant-->

secretsleeves
on 7/15/14 3:41 am

Yes, it was "just" the overnight pulse ox test. My husband wears his CPAP machine as well and it helps him quite a bit.

Thanks so much for your reply and I hope you have a great day!

VSG on 8/6/2014

Most Active
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 52 views
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 52 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 221 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 301 views