How do you deal with anxiety post op?

angel720
on 7/20/14 7:09 am
VSG on 08/06/14

Ok so it is Sunday, I am alone at home, kids and hubby out doing Sunday stuff and I am here anxious and a bit scared over my upcoming surgery.  This is the perfect situation when I would go into the kitchen,  grab something and calm my self down. it works, I always  better but of course this is what got me into this situation I am now.    It just dawned on me, I will not be doing this after surgery and am determined to not to this today either.   

Maybe I should have gone out with them to keep my mind busy and not over-analyze as it usually does. Is this what  you do postop, just keep busy ? 

VSG with  Dr R. Wilhelmy @ Mexicali Bariatric Center

greensleeved
on 7/20/14 11:02 am
VSG on 07/10/14 with

I took Xanax. I have mild general anxiety but I had a real phobia about the actual surgery (needles, blood, etc). I took them when I started to panic, and since surgery I haven't needed them at all. Maybe your doctor can give you something.  The other thing that worked for me was deep breathing. It sounds a little bit cliche but it definitely helped.

"Free your ass, and your mind will follow."  HW - 287, Start W - 273, Surgery W - 257, Onederland - 4 months 1 week post op,  100 lbs lost - 8 months 1 week, CW - 162

greensleeved
on 7/20/14 11:03 am
VSG on 07/10/14 with

And keeping busy and getting out of the house is a MUST!

"Free your ass, and your mind will follow."  HW - 287, Start W - 273, Surgery W - 257, Onederland - 4 months 1 week post op,  100 lbs lost - 8 months 1 week, CW - 162

happyteacher
on 7/20/14 11:07 am

Really great question!  First, we were all nervous about the impending surgery.  Take comfort in the idea that collectively the consensus is that our only regret is not doing it sooner.  

So you question really is about recognizing that you are wanting to eat when you are not hungry or in need nutritionally speaking.  You will cross this bridge many times most likely in your journey, but for different reasons.  Today you are dealing with some anxiety, and even alluded to a possible temporary solution.  Distraction.  That is a powerful tool and one I went to frequently. It will indeed many times pull you out of the situation and away from food long enough to work though what ever is triggering the desire to go eat. 

You may also need to contemplate long term interventions such as therapy or other forms of stress reduction such as yoga, excercise, knitting... whatever is a fit for your situation. Consider attending a support group for bariatric patients now- you will be surprised how much it will help!

Personally, distraction was number one on my list.  My best distracting activity was exercising. I also noted patterns such as eating at night, so I intentionally went for long walks during this time to avoid food and supplant it with a healthier choice. 

Good luck!

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

csbsteph
on 7/20/14 11:09 am, edited 7/20/14 11:13 am - AL
VSG on 03/13/14

xanax for me too same as greensleeved.  Cleaned my house like a mad woman too.  Did a huge re-haul & donated lots of stuff; new me was coming home so if I had stuff just sitting around collecting dust pretty as it may be it had to go.  I didn't get out much cause I was embarrassed about my weight but that was foolish of me I should have kept on living even then.  Just stay busy, surgery will come before you realize it & good luck with everything.  Blessings & wishes that you have a speedy recovery.  I also did a lot of meditating before surgery; something as simple as just sitting in a quiet room with a candle lit & closing your eyes & praying or just counting your blessings helps, during my meditation times I would also play soft wind-chime sounds in the background you can find some that you might like on youtube.

With God ALL things are possible! VSG 3/13/14 Dr. John Mathews

cece58
on 7/20/14 1:53 pm - CA

A few months after my surgery I had that same question. I am a stress eater. I never experienced much of a stall, but about 3 or 4 months after getting sleeved I went 10 days without losing any weight. I panicked and called my surgeon. I was so stressed out and told him that I had no way of dealing with stress anymore. I can't eat it away, I can't drink it away, I can't even smoke it away (I quit 25 years ago). I went on and on whining about how crazy it was making me and what I should do. He said simply "take up a hobby". It sounded ridiculous. What kind of hobby? Well, I thought about it all day and then when and found a Yoga studio and signed up. That was 3 years ago and Yoga has been a lifesaver for me. It reduces stress and keeps me strong and flexible. I love it and work my day around my Yoga class. I think its a better choice than drugs or food. 

"What lies behind us and what lies before us are small matters compared to what lies within us"
Lisa

linzeelee
on 7/20/14 2:03 pm - Omaha, NE
VSG on 05/17/13

This is a great question, and a great realization for you to have. I think I had this realization a few days after I got home from having surgery. I was tired, in pain, feeling a ton of emotions, and also kind of bored because I couldn't do much of anything (see: tired and in pain). That is the moment I realized I would normally turn to my best friend, FOOD, for comfort and entertainment. But that was no longer an option. So yes, distraction is great. Posting here. Read. Write/journal. Once you are physically able and cleared, take a bath or exercise. Exercise is a HUGE anxiety reliever for me now. I also take Xanax when my anxiety is really bad.

Lindsay ~ 5'4" ~ HW (5/6/13): 280 ~ SW (5/17/13): 273 ~ CW: 140
Losses by month: pre-op: -8  M1: -18  M2: -12  M3: -13  M4: -9  M5: -10  M6: -12
  M7: -14  M8: -12  M9: -2  M10: -8  M11: -9  M12: -2  M13: -6  M14: -7

Gwen M.
on 7/21/14 8:09 am
VSG on 03/13/14

Keeping busy does it for me.  I do have a prescription for xanax, but my surgery was in March and I haven't had to take it since a trip to NYC in April.  I've worked hard to make exercise a part of my life and I've cultivated other hobbies as well.  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

angel720
on 7/22/14 1:52 pm
VSG on 08/06/14

Thanks nice to know I am not alone.  I made it through Sunday and busy weekdays keep me sane most of the day.  I like the idea of  some sort of exercise, I know I used to like it years back and it make me feel good.  That will be my goal for this upcoming weekend. Maybe by the time I have surgery I get into some kind of routine and post op will be easier.   Xanax sounds good too LOL

VSG with  Dr R. Wilhelmy @ Mexicali Bariatric Center

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 72 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 269 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 329 views