Checking in at 21 months postop...or I'm still breathing

ravenbrown
on 7/17/14 5:08 am - TX
VSG on 10/08/12

Thank you!  I wouldn't go so far as to say happy, but I'm OK.  Haha.  Just being is extraordinarily difficult for me, but I think it's an important lesson.  In therapy we talked about being present, taking pride in who you/what you do right now even if you are working towards something.  I'd always thought those things were mutually exclusive.  How could you possibly feel proud of yourself if you have a goal to achieve?  Which is ridiculous.  Success is however we define it.  Why not choose to view yourself as successful?  We all have things to get over or learn, we all fall down, make mistakes, do stupid things that we know will not actually make us feel good in the long run, but doesn't trying to be better, be healthier equal success?  I don't know, but that seems much more hopeful to me :)

TexasTerritory
on 7/17/14 7:15 am
VSG on 07/22/13
I am so happy for you learning so much about yourself at such a young age. Some of us are really slow earners. (Raising my hand).

You have accomplished so much. Thank for sharing your insight.💝

ravenbrown
on 7/17/14 7:20 am - TX
VSG on 10/08/12

Aww thank you!  I think maybe I just spend an inordinate amount of time thinking about myself :)  Only child and all.

kerry B.
on 7/17/14 8:09 am
VSG on 11/04/13

Thank you so much for your update!  It is always interesting to see everyone's journey and to hear how you are doing.  It sounds like you have made an emotional journey just as deep as your weight loss journey.  Congratulations on your results and especially on all the hard work you are doing!

5'9", 52 years old, 10 years postop VSG, HW 316 CW 195. Updated 11-12-23

ravenbrown
on 7/17/14 10:15 am - TX
VSG on 10/08/12

Thanks! I am trying. :)

Rms928
on 7/17/14 8:42 am
VSG on 03/20/13

Funny or weird. I haven't been on the forum or posted in a while. Today I was feeling a bit like talking about my 16 month journey, signed on and saw your post. You said exactly what I wanted to say.  Wow.......Thanks

M1-10 M2-31.4 M3-11 M4-16.8 M5-15 M6-10 M7-14 M8-9

ravenbrown
on 7/17/14 10:13 am - TX
VSG on 10/08/12

My pleasure. I tend to think that losing weight is the easy part of all this :)

jenn1469
on 7/17/14 12:21 pm

wow this made me cry and I hardly cry...I really needed to hear this...I have been over weight for about 10 years and prior I was always thin...In the past ten years I have been treated so different...It's true I need to work on me now...thank you

Jennifer

ravenbrown
on 7/18/14 12:26 am - TX
VSG on 10/08/12

I think it's a double edged sword.  I think our behavior or perception of ourselves can also lead to people treating us differently, and I think we also allow it.  There are also people who just do treat obese people differently.  I can't tell you the amount of doors that are opened for me now as opposed to two years ago, or men asking to help me carry something, or people just being so friendly in general.  It's very, very strange.  It can make me angry, but then I realize it's not just that I'm thin, it's also that I feel better about myself.  Who knows.  We all need to work on ourselves.  It's good, worthwhile work :)

(deactivated member)
on 7/17/14 1:31 pm - Canada

Your honesty is refreshing, thank you for sharing.  This journey is a roller coaster and I really believe we have no idea what we are going to experience until we are going through it.  I've gained and lost so much more then I could have imagined.

God bless, M

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 158 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 430 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 451 views