Stall at 10 days???

Adner65
on 7/23/14 3:35 am

I have my 2 week VSG post-op appointment tomorrow and the scale hasn't moved in 4 days.  I get in 50 to 70 ounces a day of water, and 45 grams protein a day. (60 is their recommendation).  I weighed 361 when I started my two week pre-op diet, 339 on the morning of my surgery and for the past 4 days the scale has been stuck on 324. I hope this isn't a sign of things to come.  Isn't a stall at 10 days uncommon???

Stacy_WLS
on 7/23/14 4:01 am

Well 4 days does not make a stall! 

Relax.  Things take time.  Your body is adjusting.  Just keep drinking your water, getting your protein, and walking.

My weight is currently fluctuating up and down 3-5 lbs.  It's all normal.

VSG: 12/12/13, LBL, small TL, BL/BA: 11/7/14 Twins 12/9/18 HW after Twins 260. 5'10 37 years old - Stacy_WLS (MFP)

Gwen M.
on 7/23/14 4:05 am
VSG on 03/13/14

Stalls are super common at any stage in the process. I'd work on increasing your fluids and protein - otherwise stick to the plan and you'll succeed!  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Tracy D.
on 7/23/14 4:14 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

Nope, not uncommon in the least.  I know it's a bit early post-op for you but please try and increase your water.  The heavier someone is, the more water they need to be drinking.   Also, eventually you'll want to get up to 80 oz. of protein a day.  It takes a few weeks to work up to that but it makes a big difference! 

Patience....you are losing, it's just not apparent on the scale yet.  The scale is only ONE measure of your progress, and not necessarily the most important one.  

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

G5x5
on 7/23/14 4:14 am - VA

Stalls freak everyone out and there really should be more education on that topic up front.  What you are experiencing is absolutely normal.

True results will take time and aren't necessarily going to show up every day you step on the scale.  Lots of subtle little issues like water, salt, routine fat adjustments, quality of the scales measurements, or just plain timing, to name a few items, will impact the daily weigh-ins.

The reality is that 4 days is a pretty small timeframe, and your body is making a lot of adjustments.  Over time, the process always wins out if you follow the rules.  If you don't, your results will vary.

If you're going to weigh daily, you have to figure out who to mentally deal with these apparent stalls.  Because they will happen constantly over the next year or so.  The tougher ones are still in front of you when it takes 3-4 weeks for your body to snap out of the adjustments and show scale progress.

The good news, almost all the time this topic comes up, you are likley not stalling, are loosing body fat, and taking on liquids as a weight displacement.  In the end, this game is about body fat percentages and not weight.  Weight is irrelevant eventually.

HW: 255 (6/5/13), SW: 240 (6/19/13), CW: 169 (9/16/14)

M1: -26,  M2: -17,  M3: -5,  M4: -13  M5: -12  M6: -11  M7: -8

M8-10: Skinny Maintenance (10k Training)   M11-13: On Break

M14+: **CROSSTRAINING FOR ALL AROUND FITNESS**

Google NSNG and learn the right way to eat each day

Dreamingofbeaches
on 7/23/14 5:47 am
with

I had a few days of no movement on the scale around 10 days also. Remember, you actually have those additional two weeks of pre-op weight loss, so you are around the three week stall mark everyone talks about. Mine only lasted a few days and now on day 23 I am down 6 more pounds since then. Have faith!  Bests wishes!

-Jen

Consult weight 4/7/14: 381.5   SW 7/1/14:

greensleeved
on 7/23/14 5:50 am
VSG on 07/10/14 with

I'm two weeks tomorrow too and I've already learned to try to weigh myself as infrequently as possible (easier said than done I know). Last I checked I'd lost 9 lbs in 10 or so days but that was a few days ago. I wouldn't think of it as a stall if it's only been 4 days, and everyone's body responds differently to the trauma of surgery so I think the first month or so is probably not an indication of your long term success.

I read an article recently (sorry, I don't have the link) that explained how your body reacts to drastic food reduction in terms of water retention, etc. I'm sure you can find some info if you google it or search OH for "stall." Most of all try to relax! It will work, just give it time 

"Free your ass, and your mind will follow."  HW - 287, Start W - 273, Surgery W - 257, Onederland - 4 months 1 week post op,  100 lbs lost - 8 months 1 week, CW - 162

jlgordo
on 7/23/14 5:57 am

I totally agree with everyone that has replied to your post, however... when I went into my Dr's office for my 4 week check up, the nurse and my dietician told me NOT to weigh myself on a daily basis... they recommend 1 time a week. As not to start obsessing with the number on the scale, and to focus on the eating properly, drinking fluids, and protein. Your body is going through so much right now it needs to catch up on all the new things your doing. So I picked Mondays as my weigh in day, and this is how I do it. The first thing I do on Monday morning is, as soon as I wake up I go to the scale with only my birthday suit on and I weigh myself. I do not eat or drink anything before I step on that scale, that is the most accurate weight you will get. If you weigh yourself after you eat/drink say towards mid day or evening that will give you a false weight  by even a pound or 2!! I hope this helps you, and just hang in there, soon you will be down!! Good luck

Adner65
on 7/23/14 10:43 am

Thank-you for the replies. Yes I must relax:)

I still have problems understanding stalls--it takes X amount of calories just to get through a 24 hour period without adding exercise, so if ones calorie intake is such a low amount it would seem that a 300 pound person would lose a minimum of 1 pound every other day do to the calorie deficit.

skeller
on 7/23/14 11:03 am - Austin, TX
VSG on 05/01/14 with

Water retention. Constipation and poop retention. Etc.

DOB 1958, HT 5'4" . . . HW 310, SW 281, CW 184.3

M1 -25, M2 -7, M3 -11.9, M4 -7.6, M5 -11.8, M6 -9.6, M7 -1.7, M8 -10, M9 -5, M10 -5

Most Active