Despite my age, my skin is not a fan of my weight loss...

Annievvho
on 7/25/14 1:55 pm, edited 7/25/14 1:56 pm - Roanoke, VA
VSG on 11/29/13

I had my surgery 11/29/2013. I will turn 28 next month. I am down a total of 133.4 lbs from my highest weight, and I am probably in the BEST shape of my life despite being about 9 lbs higher than my lowest adult weight. I have mentioned in a previous post that I wear my Spanx ALL. THE. TIME. So it came as a bit of a shock to me yesterday, when I was fresh out of the shower, and I had not yet wiggled into my restrictive garment, that when I lean over, i have these weird globs of skin that dangle in sections from my abdomen, along with 2 longish, wrinkly, hollowed out looking breasts (or at least they used to be breasts...). It has really made me long for plastic surgery, but I don't think I am done having babies yet. Part of me feels like I am way too young to live with a body like this, but the other part of me knows that plastics would be a waste if I plan to have any more babies. How do others cope with the loose skin?

Full disclosure: the Spanx garment DOES cause issues. I get hot and clammy from wearing it in the heat and humidity, and I often have breakouts from the tight clothing on my skin all day long. I am really self conscious of belly rolls and back fat, which is why I started wearing the damn thing to begin with. I feel more free knowing it is restricting me. ;)

Needasplace
on 7/25/14 2:41 pm - Plainfield, IL
VSG on 11/18/13

My surgery was 11/18/13.  I fully understand about the loose skin...but try to focus on the fact that you are in the best shape now and you are courageous and look great spanks or not.  Why not just wear a small shrug for your arms a back smoother bra, a comfortable panty girdle and let your skin breathe????  Love the new you even without the plastic surgery.  Give yourself a chance to get aqauinted with the beautiful new you.  Big congrats on your success!  Enjoy it!

Annievvho
on 7/25/14 3:01 pm, edited 7/25/14 3:01 pm - Roanoke, VA
VSG on 11/29/13

It's probably mostly to do with feeling very unsexy naked. I guess my anxiety rears its ugly head with me thinking if I think it's gross, I'm sure my hubby does, and how will I get him to want to make a baby with me if he thinks I'm gross (this is all projected feelings -my hubby has not indicated disgust with my body, only with my self conscious habit of pulling on my excess skin)?

56sunShine14
on 7/26/14 3:39 am

and the more you tug on the loose skin, the more you will make him see something he probably isn't even looking at now.  The poster who suggested different articles of clothing instead of Spanx...take her advice.  You won't regret it.

All posts that I make on this site, any forum, are a result in my having experience and caring for anyone having to go through life as an obese person. If you have medical issues, please see your doctor for medical advice.

Karen

Nmmsg
on 7/25/14 8:44 pm, edited 7/25/14 8:53 pm
VSG on 07/09/13

Loose skin is related to the amount of weight loss and genetics.  You are still early out, some of it may tighten up.  My son lost 200 lbs and there was no way he did not need surgery.  I have lost close to 80 and will not have any plastic surgery. My husband lost 120.  He was pretty atheletic young and his skin responded pretty well.  He was 53 when he had his surgery.

I agree with the previous post- try some lesser compression garments.  There are looser ones which may not be as difficult to live with plus it is summer.  Good luck and be kind to yourself.

Nancy

Learn from your family history and rewrite yours!

grayC
on 7/25/14 10:30 pm
VSG on 05/01/13

OH GOD!!

I flap my hanging pancake flap of a stomach every morning before I get 

on the scale..it's like a little ritual now!!  LOL!!

as for the Spanx...I wear a compression garment that I got in walmart

It is like a Spanx tank top that goes under your boobs so you can wear your own bra 

it's really comfortable and I have not had any rash or irritation wearing it in the summer

the only time I wear Spanx (on any regular old day, not special occasion) is if I'm wearing something 

strapless or with small skinny straps that my compression tank would show..

greensleeved
on 7/25/14 11:56 pm
VSG on 07/10/14 with

I hate Spanx and use them only on special occasions or under specific outfits. Your skin is probably WAY less noticeable to others than it is to you, but fat is noticeable to the general public. Celebrate your accomplishment! You are healthier and that is super sexy! There are lots of pretty, flowy tunics that will show off your legs and cover back fat. Get some high heels,  a good bra, flattering lingerie and dim the lights for hubby! Good lighting is so forgiving. I'd wait on the plastics till after babies, and ditch your daily Spanx. Sweat and rashes are awful! If you have a little jiggle in your walk embrace it!

"Free your ass, and your mind will follow."  HW - 287, Start W - 273, Surgery W - 257, Onederland - 4 months 1 week post op,  100 lbs lost - 8 months 1 week, CW - 162

Gwen M.
on 7/26/14 12:33 am
VSG on 03/13/14

It makes me so sad that many of us seem to trade one body hatred for another. I know it's easier said than done to love ourselves, but it's important. Especially around children. So many of my self hatreds stem from the way my mother talked about her own body.

If you're not seeing a therapist, I highly recommend adding one to your team to address these feelings. 

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Annievvho
on 7/26/14 3:01 am - Roanoke, VA
VSG on 11/29/13

Thanks Gwen! I really try to watch my insecurity around my son. Even with regard to other areas besides my body image. When my son was 2 I had lost a bunch of weight - about 93 lbs, and during that period, my son found skin to skin contact soothing. He would come up to us, pull up our shirts and his, and put his belly against ours. He called it bellies. He would tell me he liked my belly best because it was soft. He tells me I'm beautiful, and that's good enough for me to put my confident face on and act like I think so, too. I feel much more confident in my appearance with my skin covered, it's just hard to see this previously stretched skin sagging and hollow and feeling like I have to cover up to be pretty. 

I have seen a counselor. She was not much help, so I'm hoping to try someone else soon. I did start going to my support group, and that was great. Hopefully I will be able to go more. 

Gwen M.
on 7/26/14 4:10 am
VSG on 03/13/14

I'm glad you try to watch the insecurities around your son.  I know my mom tried too, but some still got out and had a huge impact on me :(  Which now just makes me sad because I still think my mom is one of the most gorgeous women I know.  And if she can't love herself, how will I ever be able to when I'm significantly more flawed?  Sigh.  

It can be hard to find a therapist that you click with, but it's worth it.  Good luck!

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Most Active
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 44 views
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 44 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 196 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 282 views