Nicotine Replacement Aids?

Sammy D.
on 8/6/14 1:48 am - New Bern, NC
VSG on 11/06/14

I used to be a heavy smoker, but as of Febuary this year, I quit smoking aside from a few slip-ups and bad days. I'm not really an emotional eater, just a stress smoker I guess.

That being said, I use nicotine gum to help curb the desire to smoke, unfortunately people at my work do not respect me, so the temptation remains.

Can you still have WLS using nicotine aids? Just wonder if anyone else has been through the same deal.

HW: 478+ Consult: 478 Pre Op: 453 SW: 438 CW: 293 (7-20-15) GW: 225 LBS Gone: 185

VSG with Dr. T. Ryan Heider at the Center for Surgical Weight Loss at Lake Norman 11-6-14

ACTS 2:38

mickeymantle
on 8/6/14 2:23 am - Eugene/Springfield, OR
VSG on 07/22/13

I would say no but ask your doctor  

I would go to a therapist if was you you have a eating disorder and smoking disorder , you seem to have an addictive problem and if you have wls you may transfer your addiction to something else like drinking , gambling, sex 

175 lb  lost,412 hw 336sw,241 cw surgery July 22 2013,surgeon Dr Colin MacColl,

Sammy D.
on 8/6/14 2:44 am - New Bern, NC
VSG on 11/06/14

I equate the weight to genetics and dumb choices, the smoking was a dumb choice to begin with. I believe God has taken care of the rest for me. I do feel better since I actually kicked the smoking habit, but I reckon I'm using the gum as a crutch in fear of a full relapse, especially since everyone smokes around me.

HW: 478+ Consult: 478 Pre Op: 453 SW: 438 CW: 293 (7-20-15) GW: 225 LBS Gone: 185

VSG with Dr. T. Ryan Heider at the Center for Surgical Weight Loss at Lake Norman 11-6-14

ACTS 2:38

Nata-Sleeve
on 8/6/14 7:09 am

I had to quit smoking--and stay quit--for at least 3 months before I was even eligible to have the surgery. Knowing that I could have the surgery once I kicked the smoking habit was seriously the BEST motivation! I also used nicotine aids, especially for the first 2 months after quitting officially. I switched from the gum to the lozenge, and that helped a lot. After that, I transitioned to just good old chewing gum to keep my mouth busy (trust me, on the pre-op diet this was very necessary). 

Keep in mind that once you have the surgery, any kind of chewing gum is not recommended because it causes you to swallow air, which can be very uncomfortable in the new tiny tummy. I applaud your efforts, especially when everyone around you smokes, it is super hard. I had the same problem--until I changed the people I surrounded myself with. You will encounter similar problems as you go through the pre and post operative diet. Everyone around me is constantly eating, but I physically can not eat with them anymore. Those who are supportive of my healthy goals understand, but those who arent.... F them. At some point, you have to decide that this is your journey, and no one else is allowed to affect your success. Whether it be with smoking or dieting, you have to be your own champion. 

You can do it! Every day you make good choices is a step in the right direction! 

HW: 310, SW:??? (7/22/14), GW: 175

mickeymantle
on 8/6/14 3:20 pm - Eugene/Springfield, OR
VSG on 07/22/13

my surgeon allows you to chew regular sugar free gum after surgery (not right after)

175 lb  lost,412 hw 336sw,241 cw surgery July 22 2013,surgeon Dr Colin MacColl,

Grim_Traveller
on 8/6/14 8:56 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

Some doctors do nicotine tests, some do not. I have seen doctors refuse to operate if patients haven't quit.

The problem is not the smoking, it's the nicotine, so nicotine patches, gums, etc won't help. This is for your safety. Nicotine impairs your body's ability to heal after surgery, and being on nicotine of any kind can put your life at risk.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 72 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 269 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 329 views