First year down...more life to go...!

mmmesser
on 8/6/14 12:05 pm

So my one year happened...yesterday was my official first year surgiversary!  I have lost 135 lbs since the 2 week pre-op....

I'm happier, healthier, and more confident in myself.  I have a long way to go though.  I still struggle with two different mind now...the 'fat' mind that tells me 'you can't eat that' and the healthier mind that tells me 'moderation and limits'.  Also, that I need to eat that and not to stay in a low calorie mind set....I am finding that difficult.  To help me out...I'm scheduling an appointment with a nutritionist/dietician.  I can't think like a thinner, healthier person without an 'expert'.  I mean...why would I depend upon long term logic that I used before the surgery to help maintain after surgery.  Yeah, I know the basics...I'm educated, research and study a lot regarding diet and exercise.  But how do you apply it in 'Sleeve' world???  If you give me a number, give me some limits, give me some information specific to me...I will run with it...hence my success the first year out with the sleeve as a tool to help me do it.  But what about now...I get worried if I lose more than 5 lbs and I get worried if I gain 3 lbs.  This is just a long term success story in the making and I do worry that I will slip...I will fail...I will relapse (more important to me than weight gain is the 'giving in' to the out of control feeling and weight gain is just the outcome to that).

I still go to my support group and talk with others at work who have had similar surgeries so we can stay motivated.  Some are further out, some are just starting out...so it's a good mix of folk.

So...next goal is to meet with the surgeon and get my one year eval. and to meet with the nutritionist and get a game plan.  Once confident with that...I am moving on to exercise (at this point I am calling it 'increased activity').

I've got a long ways to go and will keep coming back to here to recharge, retool, and regain common sense!

Congrats to all the losers out there!

Scott S.
on 8/6/14 12:40 pm - TX

Congrats on your success so far!  Way to go to look to the future and be prepared.  I am sure you will find success!

VSG: 8/8/13 

Capegin
on 8/6/14 11:14 pm

Congratulations!!  I am the same way... if I have a "recipe" to follow, so to speak, I can do it.  Thank you for letting me know it's OK to still need help in maintenance.  The last time I lost significant weight (non-surgical, medically supervised), I was basically told by my doctor to figure it out on my own when I got to that point.  Aaaaaaaannnnndddd... here I am scheduled for surgery next week, lol.  Keep checking in with those experts!!!!

Tracy D.
on 8/7/14 12:46 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

You have really kicked butt on this thing - great job!  

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

tdallison
on 8/7/14 3:50 am - TX
VSG on 08/26/13

Congrats on all of your hardwork!

Toni Dallison

"I can do all things through Christ who gives me strength" Phil. 4:13

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 70 views