will I regain preop loss like with a crash diet?

kellyomama
on 8/7/14 3:10 am

I was just thinking about my preoo liquid diet. I am on the morning of day 6 and have lost 14.8 pounds. Obviously, that's crazy great, but then I realized that this is just like any crazy crash diet I've done where I regained it all once I stopped the diet.

How does it work when you start eating again, or even start the bariatric full liquid (cream soups, etc)? Will I regain this rapid loss of weight once I start eating? This is probably a really dumb question, I know, but it just popped in my head that it's a lot like liquid cleanses etc, that people do where they gain in all back... 

civilmomma
on 8/7/14 3:41 am
VSG on 03/07/14

If you gain anything during and immediately ppost surgery, it will just be retained water as your body copes with the IV fluids, pain meds, and anesthesia working through your system.  Most people drop tha****er weight by the 2nd week post op - some sooner.

After surgery, your caloric intake will be way lower than before, you will lose weight.  This pre-op liquid diet is a fast way to make surgery safer by shrinking the top section of your liver so the surgeon can see your stomach better while doing the operation.

If you follow the plan, you won't regain.

If you mainline milkshakes 1 week post op, well I guess regain is possible - but you wouldn't do that.

ticker5'-8",HW 347,SW329,M1-25 M2-17 M3-11 M4-13 M5-14 pregnant-->

kellyomama
on 8/7/14 3:54 am

Thank ypu for the info. I retain that Iv fluid something terrible, so I am prepared for that.  I just wasn't sure if this loss was temporary and I'd have to lose it all over again once I start my "real diet" (postop). But what you say makes sense and I guess this  actually is The start of my "real diet" diet. Much appreciated!

Gwen M.
on 8/7/14 6:52 am
VSG on 03/13/14

I haven't regained since I started eating - at least not more than normal daily fluctuations.  My weight trend has been going slowly and steadily downward since January.  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

kellyomama
on 8/7/14 8:12 am

Thank you, good to know. 

Capegin
on 8/7/14 8:30 am

Good question... I hadn't even thought of that!!!!  Glad to see it doesn't seem to end up being the case.... eeeeek

kellyomama
on 8/7/14 8:45 am

Can you believe we are just 5 and 6 days away??? 

Capegin
on 8/7/14 8:52 am

Unreal!  I'm starting to get so excited!!  How about you??

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 95 views