Pre-Op Diet and no weight loss????

MissMagnoliaYaYa
on 8/12/14 6:03 am

I am on a protein shake for breakfast, any frozen dinner for lunch that is under 300 calories, another protein shake for an afternoon snack and another under 300 calorie frozen dinner. I went to my weigh in at the surgeons office Friday immediately after having "my last meal" at a restaurant with a friend and on a very full stomach I was 259.6 pounds and after 3 days on this program I have lost nothing. Nothing. I thought a pound, a few ounces maybe.  I am too anxious? lol. I know Rome was not built in a day. This week I go to the UGI, which I think is an upper G.I. which I can't remember what that entails exactly, but they told me to fast so I have a feeling I am drinking something. Friday I have to go to the cardiologist for clearance from him, and then next week I have an appointment with the shrink, and she told me I have to fill out a 516 questionnaire. My surgery has not been scheduled yet, but I was told in about 2 months. What was required for your "pre op"?  I am new here but I must tell you,  you guys are my inspiration. 

Gwen M.
on 8/12/14 6:06 am
VSG on 03/13/14

Frozen meals tend to be pretty high in sodium, so there's a chance you might be retaining water from the sodium in your meals.  

My pre-op diet was 5 shakes a day.  Exciting, eh? :P  I lost an entire FOUR pounds in 10 days.  But I'd done a lot of diet changes in the 2.5 months prior, so I didn't see the initial "omg you started a diet" loss that a lot of people see during their pre-op diet.  

I know it's pretty impossible, but don't worry too much about the weight loss.  If you stick to the plan, the weight will come off.  I use TrendWeight and weigh myself every day since seeing my trending weight is very reassuring for me.  Other people find it more reassuring to only weigh once a week because the day to day fluctuations can be brutal.  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

nursebonnie
on 8/12/14 6:07 am
VSG on 08/19/14

Frozen meals have a lot of sodium. Making a chicken breast and a few veggies would be less salt and perhaps water retention.

angel720
on 8/12/14 6:51 am
VSG on 08/06/14

I agree with the posters above, it is not only the calories but what  else the meal contains.   The prepackaged meals have a ton of stuff you do not really want, I personally feel I lose control of what I am eating with these pre prepared meals.   When I have time I pre cook meals to avoid the nasty unwanted stuff and freeze them myself.  I pull them out of the freezer when I am running all day, which is usually every other day. 

VSG with  Dr R. Wilhelmy @ Mexicali Bariatric Center

happyteacher
on 8/12/14 7:19 am

I "had" to do a 2 week pre op diet.  I chose to do 3 months. I lost not one pound in the first month.  I did at least not gain anything though.  I lost some in month 2 and starting humming better in the final month preop loss.  Just hang in there.  I was insulin resistant and that does make it a slower process.  Just stick to your plan and try to do fresh unprocessed choices as much as possible. 

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

Zee Starrlite
on 8/12/14 7:53 am

Good chance it is the sodium in the frozen meals.  Also 3 days on a "diet" is not long enough to judge results - us women have lots of hormonal fluctuations.  I would however not eat 2 frozen meals unless it is homemade.

No worries just keep on keeping on.

Best,

Layla

3/30/2005 Lap Band installed  12/20/2010  Lap Band REMOVED  
6/6/2011 Vertical SLEEVE Gastrectomy

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 72 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 266 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op