Update: it turns out it wasn't hypothyroid it was...

MeliT
on 8/16/14 1:34 am - Miami, FL

went for a follow up on my bloodwork. what i thought was hypothyroid for the passed month (i mean all the symptoms lined up) wasn't. in fact it turns out it was my PCOS "re-activating". i like many of you ladies had PCOS before WLS. when i lost the weight it went away, or at least got in check. but back in march i started working out and getting serious about getting back in shape post baby. i started learning about macros and nutrition and i guess for normal people it works great. but adding carbs back into my diet did not make my body happy. i was told i needed the carbs to fuel my body, to support heavy lifting and to replenish glycogen levels. i was all for that. so i introduced them back in. but i guess my body wasn't having that. over three months my body was slowly telling me something was wrong. the symptoms kept compiling until i hit a wall. it took this long to figure it out. luckily i went back to low carb 3 weeks ago because i figured since i don't have the energy to work out right now, i don't need the carbs. well my instincts were right. doc told me that for me low carb has to be the norm. and i'm fine with that. hey its good to know! she also put me on a low dose metformin for now to help. but she says i'm already doing the right things and headed in the right direction.  i figure it will take a while for my levels to even out and for my body to get back to normal before i feel like my old self. so far i've lost 1lb and 1 inch since going back to low carb which is great because in 3 months i lost maybe 2lbs. i'm very glad it wasn't my thyroid bc that is a very serious serious thing to live with. but after having done alot of research into thyroid disease i understand it more and have a lot of empathy for those of you who have it. i'm definitely an advocate for it for sure.

anyway just wanted to update you guys on that. i appreciate all your feedback to my previous post.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 93 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 320 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 365 views