Weight loss without a scale...oh my

acbbrown
on 9/3/14 1:17 am - Granada Hills, CA

Im trying (as always) to lose weight. Story of my life. But, I moved not too long ago, and in the process, my scale decided it wasnt going to work anymore and now it just gives me error messages. I dont feel like buying another one since my bathroom is all carpet and can't weigh myself anyways.

This might be just what I needed. Ive spent the better part of three years trying to have the "perfect day" food wise and expecting instantaneous results on the scale...obviously in the downward direction. But over and over again, it never worked like that. Eat 800 cal, go up 2 lbs. Eat 1500 cal, gain 3 lbs, eat 2000 cal and lose a lb. And I let it mess with my head. The minute the scale didnt do what I wanted it to, I went off track with " if the scale is going to go up, might as well eat more". This was my problem both before and after surgery.

So now, Ive gotten back to eating well - fresh vegetables, lean meat, whole grains, protein shakes. I can't weigh myself, so I can't wake up and let the scale dictate my day. Each day, I have to wake up and remember to eat well for the sake of eating well...for my mind and body's sake. This experience, even after just a short period of time, just FEELS better. I dont have as much stress and anxiety over what I weigh, im going to have to learn to trust that the weight loss will happen if continue.  ( i go to the doctor at least 2-4 times a month so I can still check my weight periodically)

If I could save even one person from a scale obsession, Id be happy. I know we all have to learn from our own experiences, but I hope some nebwies will consider this right after having surgery - dont get sucked into this dangerous pattern!

www.sexyskinnybitch.wordpress.com - my journey to sexy skinny bitch status

11/16/12 - Got my Body by Sauceda - arms, Bl/BA, LBL, thigh lift. 

HW 420/ SW 335 /CW 200    85 lbs lost pre-op / 135 post op

~~~~Alison~~~~~

(deactivated member)
on 9/3/14 2:06 am

Awesome! I am a scale addict myself, but I don't tend to let it influence my day.

Cracks me up how similar you and I are. We are two tenacious ones. We just won't give up this battle. I have no doubts that we are in it to win!

acbbrown
on 9/3/14 4:34 am - Granada Hills, CA

We are twins in another universe :)

~~~~Alison~~~~~

(deactivated member)
on 9/3/14 2:26 am

In this area, I think we all have to do what works best for us mentally.  I have to weigh myself every day or the weight goes up incrementally over time.  I can't fool myself anymore that it will not happen as it has happened time and again over my whole life.  I will have to weigh myself daily or maintenance will not work for me.  On the other hand, I never felt emotionally invested in the number on the scale as I always lost in a stair step pattern, sometimes I would gain a few ounces or even pounds when I was eating clean and sometimes I would not gain after eating off program for a few days, yet the trend always told the real story.  I chart my weight and only really look at the trend.  I can totally see how the scale can become counterproductive for some and how your strategy can totally work.  It just doesn't work for me.  I hope that you are thrilled with better weight loss and less tress and I only wish you the optimum success.  

acbbrown
on 9/3/14 4:33 am - Granada Hills, CA

I definitely agree for maintenance that weighing is important. But for now I track my calories so I know which direction the scale should be going. 

~~~~Alison~~~~~

(deactivated member)
on 9/3/14 4:44 am

Totally makes sense and I know a number of very successful VSGers that do not weigh themselves regularly and swear that it makes it easier for them.  I completely get it, it just doesn't work for me, as I start to (eventually) lie to myself.  :) 

Ms Shell
on 9/3/14 8:00 am - Hawthorne, CA

I got caught (still am) in the whole scale dictating thing and have recently, TODAY, to only weigh once a week.  Forever a head game.  I was SURE I could weigh everyday, but I always say be prepared to be flexible and change up when necessary.

Most Active