Having the VSG surgery on the 24th and want some advice

trin123
on 9/16/14 3:23 am, edited 9/16/14 4:57 am

I am having it in basically a week and very nervous. I am just worried something is going to happen on the table. Just want some advice on how to prepare because I am mentally ready to get the surgery and start my life change but like I said I am apprehensive about the surgery. How did everyone's here go? Was it really painful after the surgery? How long was or has recovery been for you?

Journey2014
on 9/16/14 4:29 am

First let me tell you that what you are feeling is something that most of us have  felt. This is a huge deal and you are right to be concerned. But at this point I am sure you have done your homework, know your surgeon and have committed yourself to the journey ahead. All will be well.

I had my surgery on Monday July 21. I spent one night at the hospital and went home the next day. I had no pain in the hospital and was up and walking within a few hours of waking from surgery. No fluids for the first 24 hours was very difficult though. Bring your chapstick!!  On the day that I went home, they allowed me to drink and it was very daunting. It seemed I would NEVER get enough fluids in but day by day it gets easier.  The day I went home, I took one of the pain pills I had been given and it made me very sick so... no pain meds for me after one day post op!! It wasn't bad though and I returned to work (desk job) the following Monday.  

~Rock bottom has become a solid foundation on which I will rebuild my life~

mickeymantle
on 9/16/14 4:32 am - Eugene/Springfield, OR
VSG on 07/22/13

if you have a good surgeon that did all the right pre op testing everything should go great(never lie to your doctors , one of the Mexican surgeons lost a patient last year because the patient did not tell him about a major health problem )

when I woke up I felt like I wa**** by a train but in a few minutes the recovery room staff got the pain killers right and then almost no pain ,

you will be walking within a few hours and most people have a little shoulder pain from the gas but a hot towel helps that

my hubby had open surgery for cancer and had almost no pain at all everyone is different, but good doctors control the pain well 

the new life is worth the little pain , no pain no gain (loss)

try to relax I know it is hard and follow all you doctors instructions all will be fine

175 lb  lost,412 hw 336sw,241 cw surgery July 22 2013,surgeon Dr Colin MacColl,

trin123
on 9/16/14 4:40 am

Thanks for your post. I went through true results and my doctor has been completely thorough. I had my EGD today and they did a biopsy. They did fine Gastrinitis but no hernia. I have all the blood test and everything. I am relatively healthy except for my weight and blood pressure.

VSG on 9/24/2014 w Dr. Marsden

diane S.
on 9/16/14 4:54 am

you will be fine. surgery and anethesia is so refined these days.  I had a super easy time - minimal pain. i was ready to rock and roll after a few days and only used a couple of my pain meds. some people have more discomfort than i did.  chapstick is a must, be prepared to take tiny sips of liquid, have extra pillows at home so you can sleep with head elevated. be prepared to not like protein drinks but just do them anyway. promise yourself you will follow your doctor's instructions to the T and get ready for a new slim life.  good luck.   you are gonna love it.   diane

Join US On The VSG Maintenance Group Forum!! 
                  http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

wyo_sarah
on 9/16/14 4:59 am

I was out of the hospital in less than 24 hours.  I was sent home on oxygen because I couldn't keep my stats up.  I wasn't in a tremendous amount of pain, although I had to sleep in a recliner for about a week.  But, I was very faithful about taking my pain meds.  I had an incision that was right where my bra sits and that was very painful.  I didn't wear a bra for over a week (consequently, I never left the house).  But other than that, it wasn't bad at all.  I didn't have trouble standing or sitting, I was able to walk without problems.  I was occasionally dizzy and I was weak for quite a while, but over all I would say the pain for the surgery wasn't bad at all.  I hope this helps relieve some of your worries!  I'm 7 weeks out today, 38 lbs lighter, and eating without much difficulty!

ashleylara
on 9/16/14 5:32 am
VSG on 08/19/14

For me the actual surgery was the easiest part!! Once they put the sedative in I didn't remember anything!! My surgery lasted under an hour and when I woke up in recovery I was like that's it lol. Good luck 

VSG on 8/19/14

HW:289 SW: 275 CW: 237.8

M:1 -23 M:2 -15

pattinavcohen
on 9/16/14 6:31 am
VSG on 08/13/14 with

Have faith in your doc. I'm sure you checked him/her out thoroughly. I had my surgery on Wed, 8/13 and spent one night in the hospital. Took the meds when I had pain because there is no point in suffering. First couple of days felt tired and overall crappy but by the weekend felt much better. Follow the prescribed meal plan given by your doc. Many people here have different plans and it's confusing at first. Went back to work on following Monday and haven't felt bad since. Good luck - you will love that you did it. 

snoopygirl1968
on 9/16/14 8:18 am - Lisle, IL
VSG on 09/09/14 with

I am 1 week post-op today.  I remember being wheeled out of pre-op but don't even remember getting to the operating room.  I kinda remember people moving my arms and legs around, but that's it.  My surgery was exactly an hour.  I was a little slow coming out of the antehesia, but that was it.  I had a lot of pain the second night, but only because I finally slept and wasn't pushing the button on my pain pump.  Once the pain was controlled, I was fine.  I went home after the second night in the hospital.  I popped the pain pills regularly the first couple of days, but I haven't taken one since yesterday afternoon.  I have a little discomfort, but not much.  I'm also walking more today.  Remember, walk, walk, walk, and sip, sip, sip.  I have to remind myself to sip sometimes.  

When I was one week away from surgery I had the big terror and the second thoughts.....I even posted on here about it.  But I stuck to my guns and the surgery was really the easiest part.  I've lost 6 pounds this week and 63 total (my highest weight was last November).  I also find that chatting on this forum, writing a blog, and then publishing my blog on Facebook really helps me.  I have built up a HUGE support group and that is so important.  I started blogging when I made the decision to have surgery, and I invite you to read it.  If you do, I hope you enjoy....and feel free to comment, etc.

I wish you luck on your surgery, and please keep us posted!!!

follow my journey:  http://snoopygirljourney.blogspot.com

Sam_shrinking333
on 9/16/14 8:35 am

Everything everyone else has said...I had my surgery on Friday the 12th. I was very nervous. Everything went well, no complications. I was in pain when I woke up, and gassy for two days. That sucked. I was nauseous as well. On Saturday, I still couldn't drink any protein. I thought it would be a horrible recovery. But, I got home and slept. When I woke up from a long nap, I felt so much better. I still couldn't get any protein. By Sunday morning I was feeling pretty good. By Sunday night I could handle plenty of protein. Here are some things that helped me more than anti nausea meds: Gas X strips, pacing around the house, warm ginger tea, finally getting to shower. Now I feel pretty good. I don't need any pain meds, and I'm going to the store in a bit for sample sizes of different protein drinks. (Trying to find one I love). Honestly I wouldn't worry about pain. If I had it to do over again, I would have demanded that one of the nurses handling my first shift, come in every four hours with meds, instead, I had to hunt her down. That added to my pain and stress. My second shift nurse was an angel, I could sleep, knowing she would take care of me. So, if you feel like you want more pain mgmt, speak up! And you'll do great!

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 93 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 317 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 363 views