Supporting My Momma

megbaum
on 10/4/14 12:53 pm - Phenix City , AL

hi there, my mom is having a vsg in early December and I am looking for advice on how best to help her.  The best sites to vist, where I can get the mostly helpful information, what she will experience.  I had a RNY in 2009 and have maintained my loss but the surgeries are so different that my experiences aren't going to be of much assistance.  Any input or advice is welcome.

Carolyn W.
on 10/4/14 1:08 pm

Hi there! Congrats to your mom for taking this step! I just had the VSG on Monday and I'm already feeling almost back to normal! A lot of the advice I got was on this website. Everyone here is so helpful! If I could give some advice, I would say that before her pre-op diet starts, she should definitely start cutting carbs/sugar. I went cold turkey into my pre-op diet, and it was torture. That's the number one thing I wish I would have done! Also, congrats to you for keeping all the weight off! Best of luck to both you and your mom!

T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 10/4/14 2:45 pm - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14 with

Hi, I'm only 5 months post op so I'm still a newbie. I'm not sure which sites can be considered the best sites to visit, but this one seems pretty good! There's a ton of books out there to read. I've read the big book on the gastric sleeve by alex brecher, I'm pretty sure there's a dummies book about the sleeve out there too.

Sites I've gone to for things like vitamins, protein shakes etc were My bariatric pantry, celebrate vitamins, bariatric advantage, unjury, & diet direct. In the beginning you can't really get to eat real food while healing, but they still want you to get your protein & water in, water being the most important so that you don't dehydrate. Following the drs plan while going thru the various stages b4 eating real food is very important. While healing she won't really feel the restriction, she has to be much further along in the healing process b4 she feels that so she'll have to rely on measuring & weighing her food, a digital scale will help with this. Some drs prescribe a ppi to help with acid reduction, as too much acid mimics hunger. Also after surgery she'll probably have some gas that can be painful, gas x might help, but I doubt it since the gas will likely be in her intestines & the only thing that helps with that is walking to move it along & out.

I'm not sure if she has any emotional connections to food, but therapy would be good to tackle any bad behaviors that might come up as she moves along.

Finally if something doesn't feel right she shouldn't hesitate to call her dr, any complications can come up & she shouldn't try to tough it out. Best to catch things sooner than later. Hope this helps!, Good luck!

No one surgery is better than the other, what works for one may not work for another. T-Rebel

https://fivedaymeattest.com/

Nmmsg
on 10/4/14 10:15 pm
VSG on 07/09/13

There are many older sleevers here such as myself.  I was almost 64 when I had surgery and it has been such a gift.  I have family members who had the RNY and believe the sleeve is a much easier operation for us.   The food and diet plan vary with the different practices.  I did not have any pre-op diet.  I had clear liquids the day before and two days after.  I then went to full liquids for at least a week then pureed foods.  The diet then progresses to soft foods and a regular diet.  The first guideline I had was 64 oz of fluids per day and 64 gms of protein.  This takes time to achieve.

it is important to remember to always have protein first and then some vegetables.  I did not eat fruit for months since there was not any room.  Most drs advise no drinking any liquids 30 minutes prior and after eating and no drinking with meals.  At this point I drink just about right up to eating and still don't drink with my meal and after.  This helps the pyloric valve shut and hold the protein in your stomach longer for a feeling of satisfaction.  Frisco has a whole post on the pyloric valve which is helpful to anyone.

Vitamins again are regulated by each practice and your labs.  I take daily 2 mutivits, 1200 mg calcium, 1-2 ( b12 per week).  The dr will adjust according to labs.

Your mother will do well; she is lucky for your support.

Nancy

Learn from your family history and rewrite yours!

megbaum
on 11/7/14 9:53 am - Phenix City , AL

Thank you all for the feedback!  Momma has her surgery scheduled for December 15th and I am so excited for her! 

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 132 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 392 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 423 views