I think I am cutting out some of my family during this process

trin123
on 10/12/14 11:29 am

I was at a family dinner after church today and my aunt asked me how much I lost since my surgery and I said about 10 pounds and about 30 altogether and my other aunt said "yes I lost 30 pounds the last few months and I did not have to cheat to do it". I have had backlash from a few family members. On the way home in the car i started crying because all I could think about his how much that hurt because i was feeling proud of myself. My husband told me not to worry about them and if they do not want to see me through this and be supportive to just cut them out of your life. I think that might be sound advice.

VSG on 9/24/2014 w Dr. Marsden

lianna
on 10/12/14 11:38 am - South, TX
VSG on 03/09/15 with

NO!  Don't cut them out.  They don't understand what you are doing.  People pass "judgements" because they are uninformed or don't really understand.  Just hold close to your heart that YOU know what you are doing and the reasons why you chose this.  It isn't necessary for others to understand, hold the faith in yourself and YOUR decision.  Hold your family dear as well, they are just ignorant as to what all considerations go into the decision to do this.

Lianna   lapband 2005, removed 2014.  VSG 3/9/15

Rez_123
on 10/13/14 12:10 am

If it's best for her mental and emotional well-being to cut out people in her life that aren't supportive, she should do so.  Why shouldn't she? Because they're "family"?  Pssshhh.  

VSG on July 1, 2014.  High Weight: 351 Consult Weight: 338 Surgery Weight: 325  Current Weight: 175

6 Month Pre-op: -13 M1: -27 M2: -14 M3: -23 M4: -14 M5: -20 M6: -10 M7: -14 M8: -8 M9: -3 M10: -7 M11: -1 M12:-0 M13:-0 M14:-8

Total Weight Loss: 163lbs

Dawn ..
on 10/12/14 11:44 am - MI
VSG on 09/23/14

You did not cheat. I don't know why some people consider this cheating, what with all the prep before surgery, and being mindful of evey bite you take. The difference between you and your aunt who lost the weight is that with you using your new sleeve as a tool, you will probably keep your weight off - chances are your aunt will not... 

Hang in there and try not to pay any attention to the negativity.

Consult 12/9/13, Pre-Surgery Appt 9/5/14, Surgery 9/23/14, Height/5'.52", HW/273,  ConsW/268 ConsBMI/49, PreSurW/213 PreSurBMI/39, SurW/193.8 SurBMI/35.4, Drs GW/140-150 My 1st GW/160 2nd GW/145
Visit my online store at dawnsjewelrybox.com  Independent Consultant ID 30858

Dan1962
on 10/12/14 11:45 am - Syracuse, NY
VSG on 09/23/14

If they are causing you anxiety then you most definitely should limit contact with them.  You will be happier and more successful because this takes a positive attitude.

Brownsuga19321
on 10/12/14 11:50 am
VSG on 09/30/14 with

Do what you feel.. my family is mad because I didn't tell them. I'm like I didn't tell yall because I didn't w ant to be judged or criticized for something that I decided to do for me. People who are not fat and obese will never understand the struggle. It's easier for a skinny person  to say just stop eating and just exercising, they don't know what we go through mentally and physically.. if cutting them out lessen your stress, then do it and when your ready then you can decide to let them back in

Hagar
on 10/12/14 11:59 am - Egypt
On October 12, 2014 at 6:50 PM Pacific Time, Brownsuga19321 wrote:

Do what you feel.. my family is mad because I didn't tell them. I'm like I didn't tell yall because I didn't w ant to be judged or criticized for something that I decided to do for me. People who are not fat and obese will never understand the struggle. It's easier for a skinny person  to say just stop eating and just exercising, they don't know what we go through mentally and physically.. if cutting them out lessen your stress, then do it and when your ready then you can decide to let them back in

that's so true! same reason why i'm only telling very close friends who lived the struggle with me day be day, and parents only..

poet_kelly
on 10/12/14 1:01 pm - OH

Yes, you can decide to let them back in later... but they may not want back in after being cut out.  If you cut off ties with family members, you may be doing so for good.  I'm not saying not to do it, I haven't had any contact with my father for more than 20 years and I don't regret my decision to cut him out of my life at all.  But think about it carefully.  They will probably be hurt and angry if you cut them off and they  may not want to be part of your life later if you decide you want them back in your life.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Daelcare
on 10/12/14 12:02 pm - Easley, SC
VSG on 10/27/14

Don't cut them out...but you may need to have the same conversation with them that I did with my son yesterday!  You may not agree with, nor understand why I am having this surgery, but I ask that you respect my decision and know that it was not made impulsively or carelessly.

5'5" 64 year old; HW 219; SW 199; CW 129; GW 145ish (original)...now on to "ideal" (138)...got that...now a few spare (132)...got that one, too! Now for the 120's!! Made them...now for the "dream" weight...125! Well, that one's proving to be a little tougher!

lovingme9908
on 10/12/14 12:45 pm
VSG on 10/06/14

It seems like your husband support you. I would limit time with anyone family or not that brings negative energy. You don't need that mess. I would cut them out for a while just to make sure that you are in place where their comments don't get under your skin as much. Good luck.....and nice job with the 30lbs.