Bruises all over my legs

trin123
on 10/22/14 3:10 am, edited 10/22/14 3:12 am

I woke up this morning to take a shower and I found bruises all over both of my leg. I do not remember hitting myself on anything. One of them is massive like someone punched me with something. I haven't told hubby because he was out of town on business and I do not want him to worry. Could this have anything to do with the VSG surgery or is it unrelated. I guess what I am asking did anyone experience a lot of bruising after surgery that was not directly from the surgery? Could it be a vitamin I am not getting enough of? Yes, i am taking a liquid vitamin that my doctor suggested.

VSG on 9/24/2014 w Dr. Marsden

wyo_sarah
on 10/22/14 3:23 am

I feel like I have lots of bruises that I don't know where they come from too.  I even have bruises on my hands.

mickeymantle
on 10/22/14 4:16 am - Eugene/Springfield, OR
VSG on 07/22/13

DID YOU TAKE BLOOD THINNERS AFTER SURGERY ? that will do it for a while ,call your surgeon or pcp

175 lb  lost,412 hw 336sw,241 cw surgery July 22 2013,surgeon Dr Colin MacColl,

Lisarn1
on 10/22/14 5:39 am - Raleigh, NC
On October 22, 2014 at 10:10 AM Pacific Time, trin123 wrote:

I woke up this morning to take a shower and I found bruises all over both of my leg. I do not remember hitting myself on anything. One of them is massive like someone punched me with something. I haven't told hubby because he was out of town on business and I do not want him to worry. Could this have anything to do with the VSG surgery or is it unrelated. I guess what I am asking did anyone experience a lot of bruising after surgery that was not directly from the surgery? Could it be a vitamin I am not getting enough of? Yes, i am taking a liquid vitamin that my doctor suggested.

OMG! That happened to me! I had my RNY-VSG revision on Mon 10/12. Although I had some orthostatic & O2  issues, the incisions looked really good. On Weds10/15, my husband noticed some bruising on my left hip. On further investigation we found that I had huge bruises on each flank, leading to my back. None seemed related to any of the incisions. The bruises were not painful, but VERY swollen. Hell! I found all of the stretch marks from each of my pregnancies, long before my obesity! 

I think the bruising may have been from the way I needed to be transported to my upper GI & swallow study. Because I couldn't sit, they needed to transport me via stretcher for the tests. I thought that might have caused the bruising. 

Really weird, though. I'v never been prone to bruising.

Lisa

RNY 10/19/09 - Revision to VSG 10/13/14 - Dr Paul Enochs 

Lisarn1
on 10/22/14 5:45 am - Raleigh, NC

PS: not on blood thinners, and surgeon kept me an extra couple of days to monitor this, as well as other things. I was severely anemic, and received 4 units of blood during my hospitalization. The surgeon didn't indicate to me that I lost a lot of blood, but I have been anemic for years. I have been taking a prescription Ferrous Furomate and Vit B complex over the past four years, and that has helped me to maintain a low to normal reading. 

Otherwise, I wish I could shed more insight into this.

RNY 10/19/09 - Revision to VSG 10/13/14 - Dr Paul Enochs 

Hislady
on 10/22/14 6:35 am - Vancouver, WA

It could be from some of the odd positions they have to put you in during surgery. You are tipped and tilted however is easiest for the surgeon to do his job. Also they would have given you a blood thinner right before the surgery to make sure you didn't clot that is standard procedure.

Grim_Traveller
on 10/22/14 9:45 am
RNY on 08/21/12

Some vitamin deficiencies can cause bruising. Low vitamin K will, for instance.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

(deactivated member)
on 10/22/14 11:08 am - Canada

When I was low on B12 I bruised easily and a lot.  Call your doctor, you are too far along since surgery for this to be part of that.