Any VSG vets out there?

drea29
on 10/22/14 9:21 am

Ask your surgeon what size he uses.  Does it differ from patient to patient.  I have a 34.  I believe Frisco has a 32.  I remember this from one of his posts.  Most surgeons I know use a 32-36.  I am in the middle.  My surgeon was annoyed when I asked about my boogie size.  I do believe he thinks it matters, or why would he use this size.  However, when we talked about sleeve stretching at my 2 yr check up I was told yes it can if you overfill it continually.  Also it is gong to give some just naturally with time.  My surgeon said he can do the same operation on 10 different people and get 10 different results.  The only thing that can explain this I think is the commitment and adherence to a healthy lifestyle.  I agree it is the quantity and quality of food you eat.   I stay low carb and don't eat sugar.  They will be my downfall.  I gained 5 pounds recently because I made 2 changes in my food plan.  I have lost 2 going back to what works.  I am only 1 year in maintenance and still learning.  There was nothing wrong with my sleeve, but with the decisions I made.  Yes I think boogie size matters, but so does personal accountability.  Learn as much as you can before you decide on a surgeon.

Leigh Anne Pereira
on 10/22/14 9:58 am - Marietta, GA
VSG on 07/02/15

Thanks so much for the quick response and great info [: I was told my surgeon will be using size 32. I plan on eating low carb and low sugar as well and am starting now (4 months pre-op)!

I am the master of my fate, I am the captain of my soul.

KathyA999
on 10/22/14 10:12 am

Hi!  A little over four years out here.  I'm up about 12 lbs from my lowest-ever weight, and about 7-8 lbs from my comfortable weight.  Like Kairk, I've found that a basically sugar-free, very low carb food plan works best for me in maintenance.  Pretty high fat and moderate protein.  I weigh every day and will track my food every so often, just to keep myself honest about what I'm eating.  Capacity has definitely increased, I'm about small-normal there.  For me it takes daily focus.  I didn't really lose that constant thinking (obsession?) about weight issues.  I'm just doing it while thin these days, haha!

Height 5' 7"   High Wt 268 / Consult Wt 246 / Surgery Wt 241 / Goal Wt 150 / Happy place 135-137 / Current Wt 143
Tracker starts at consult weight       

In maintenance since December 2011.

happyteacher
on 10/26/14 5:36 am

Hello there-

I am coming up to the 3 year mark this December. I have a "large" sleeve and chose a "moderation" style approach that got me to goal in 8 months. I am still at goal, albeit at this point not by much. I set the original goal to 195, and was 191 the other morning. Maintaining was kept at 185 for most of the time, up until a double mastctomy this past April. Due to the reconstruction process (add of fluid in the tissue expanders slowly over the months) I am a little fuzzy on how much of the current weight is from this versus true regain. I still wear the same size, but notice they are indeed slightly tighter around the hips. My blood sugar levels have also taken a hit since surgery, and I suspect this is a combination of crappy choices and inability to exercise. Next surgery is in December (and hopefully the last) so my hope is to be able to exercise again post recovery. In the meantime I am battling carb issues like mad. Not only have I loosened up, but my husband has regained (not a sleever) 20 pounds and also struggling with eating choices. It is a journey no doubt! I think it is terrific you are on the boards and working toward chipping away on the regain. I saw in another post you pulled off 4 pounds- pretty awesome if you think about it, as it is nearly 10% of that extra weight done and gone in 2 weeks. Hang in there. 

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!