First day on Soft Foods...Not too bad!

scarletred
on 10/24/14 8:55 am
VSG on 10/07/14

So far, so good. I had green chile stew when I got home last night, only about 2 bites but it was soooo delicious!!! It had been simmering for a few hours so the meat was so very tender and the potatoes were basically mashing in my mouth. My tummy handled it really well! This morning I had a fried egg that had a tiny bit of olive oil spray in the pan (my nonstick pans aren't nonstick enough to not require that lol) and I got through about half of it. I looked over at my husband's plate where he had 3 eggs, 2 pieces of bacon, hash browns all smothered in thickened green chile stew and then topped with a ton of cheddar cheese and thought to myself "a few months ago I would have been right there with him" but I was glad I could only eat a half of an egg. It was somehow satisfying to know food doesn't rule my world anymore. Today for lunch, I had string cheese wrapped with a piece of turkey but only ate a couple of bites and felt awesome! I can do this!! I love not feeling like I need to eat a ton of food to feel satiated. I've had 2 protein shakes also, and I'll probably only have a protein shake tonight for dinner since my husband is at work and the boy child and girl child are at their friend's house till curfew (11pm and 10 pm respectively). So I'll go for a walk in the beautiful fall evening air, then I'll curl up with my shake and watch some Grey's Anatomy and go to bed early!

~Yolanda                                                        HW316 ConsultW293 SW275 CW234 GW150

M1-22 M2-7 M3-XX M4-XX M5-XX M6-XX M7-XX M8-XX M9-XX M10-XX M11-XX M12-XX

Missourimedic
on 10/24/14 9:58 am
VSG on 10/06/14 with

Yolanda your are doing great. The only thing that I would say is to have more protein in your diet other than just the shakes. Try and get away from them somewhat and lean more towards health protein. This is what my NUT said to me when I read off my meal plans and there was chili on it and cheese also. She said to try and stay away from things that cause gas also. So I will be planning my meals to be chicken, fish of some kind, or turkey. I to can only eat a few bites of this before it is time to stop, before it is to late and I am full. fluids are easy now being able to do 4 + oz at a time. By the way I go back to work on Sunday!!! I am looking forward to it and plan on driving my Harley to work! Its going to be 80 here which is crazy for this time of year. So I am 18 days post-op as of today and down over 45 pounds since the start of the pre-op diet.

scarletred
on 10/24/14 10:20 am, edited 10/24/14 3:26 pm
VSG on 10/07/14

Awesome!! Great work!! You're really doing amazing!! 

I bought some Pollack white fish the other day and plan to steam that this weekend because I haven't had fish in forever!! I'm trying to get things that will offer more protein also because I don't want to rely on shakes so much. I'm hoping to make some crock pot meals next week with chicken, maybe pot roast, etc since it's been a little cooler lately. And I can't wait to make Ricotta Bake!! I'm boiling some eggs right now so I can make egg salad tomorrow and I bought a nice big container of cottage cheese to snack on for extra protein. I'm thinking of getting some unflavored protein to add to things like egg salad, soups, etc to pack some extra protein where I can, but I don't know if I like the way it changes the consistency of the foods so much. I'll have to look into that to find out which ones are best for that. I do love chicken breast, and turkey breast, but I wish I liked tuna!  I've also been keeping a couple of protein packed bars in my purse for times when I'm not at home but feel the need to snack on something. I want to try doing beef jerky later on but most of it has so much sodium!

You're doing well with the water too? I came in the house the other day after helping my daughter clean the garage and mindlessly poured a big glass of ice water and started gulping...for a split second I forgot I'm not supposed to be able to do that...but it went down fine! Of course after the first 2-3 gulps I noticed the tightening and stopped but it was nowhere near the "sips" I've been doing for the last couple of weeks! This makes me very happy since I am very much a water gulper. I'm hoping it gets even easier to do so as the months pass.

~Yolanda                                                        HW316 ConsultW293 SW275 CW234 GW150

lovingme9908
on 10/24/14 11:04 am
VSG on 10/06/14

You are doing great! I ate a cheese stick as well, but I ate the entire thing. It took me 40 minutes...but I was able to eat the entire thing. I've been measuring out my food to eat 3oz.  I like to walk after I eat...I don't know why but it makes me feel really good.

scarletred
on 10/24/14 12:13 pm
VSG on 10/07/14

It's so weird to take so long to eat something so small, isn't it? I've always been a fast eater, not necessarily by choice. It's been difficult to retrain myself to take my time, but so far so good! Walking after eating also makes me feel really good, I think because it helps food digest and makes me feel like I'm working off extra calories and pushing toward my goal.
We're doing amazing, and I can't wait to see us when we've hit goal!

Luvmygs
on 10/24/14 3:00 pm
VSG on 12/04/14

Yolanda, you're doing so GOOD! How awesome is that. I went to a support group meeting last week and the NUT told us newbies to stay away from beans for the first 2 months, causes gas. Some people in the meeting said they had beans within weeks after surgery with no problems. Every body is different! Enjoy your new sleeve. I'm very happy for you.

scarletred
on 10/24/14 3:29 pm
VSG on 10/07/14

Yeah I'm trying to stay away from beans. Green chile stew doesn't have beans in it It's made of green chiles, pork tenderloin, potatoes, garlic, and onions for the most part. I think you're thinking of chili like the kind that Wendy's has? That's a different kind of chili. :)

MissMagnoliaYaYa
on 10/24/14 3:07 pm

You guys are doing so well! I had my first soft food tonight, a half of a sweet potatoe and I couldn't fini**** I sometimes forget too and gulp water.  Making my grocery list to go shipping tomorrow and will try some new foods. 

Age 61 Height 4'11" HW 274.00  SW 250.00- (10/08/2014) CW 224.6 (11/3/2014)

scarletred
on 10/24/14 3:30 pm
VSG on 10/07/14

You're doing good too!

I'm right there with you on the grocery thing, I'm going to do some research on what I can make and then go buy some things this weekend. Should be yummy!!

lovingme9908
on 10/25/14 1:24 pm
VSG on 10/06/14

I really struggle when it comes to gulping water. I start drinking and then I start burping. Ugh....it's crazy. My problem now is that I cannot find water that I enjoy drinking. I use to LOVE ice mountain now it has a weird taste. 

Most Active
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 45 views
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 45 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 200 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 282 views