How do you deal with stress?

wyo_sarah
on 11/10/14 1:35 am

I used to eat to deal with stress.  Or, I would have a drink in the evening.  But, now I can't eat to deal with stress and I can't drink alcohol.  The NP at the surgeon's office suggested a stress ball.  That is insufficient for me.  I have a very stressful job.  I work with an emotionally and behaviorally disturbed deaf teenager and some other exceptionally disabled deaf children.  My husband and I also own two other businesses and have four employees.  I've had a lot of sickness and death in my family recently.  I've started acupuncture, and while I think it helps some, I recently had some severe chest and back pain that is apparently caused by tight muscles.  So, I'm looking for some suggestions from people who have had similar experiences.  How do YOU deal with stress?  Thanks!

Gwen M.
on 11/10/14 1:43 am
VSG on 03/13/14

I deal with stress in lots of different ways, I think a multi-pronged attack works best for me.  

I sing twice a week - I take voice lessons and belong to a choir.  
I exercise a LOT - I get at least 10 hours a week in, usually closer to 14.  
Yoga - which is part of the exercise, but merits its own shoutout.  Yoga is amazing and mindful and I love it.  This is also my primary mode of stretching in general and after I run.  
I get monthly massages.  
I talk to my therapist almost weekly.  
I spend quality time with my friends and get out on the weekend to do something fun.  
I eat delicious and healthy food that I cook - cooking is a very relaxing activity for me.  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

mmsmom
on 11/10/14 2:16 am - Woburn, MA

I walk - i like to walk and find it very stress relieving.  Even at work, sometimes I circle the interior of the building around 3pm once or twice - as well as trying to walk daily at lunch at work.  

VSG on 04/28/2014

diane S.
on 11/10/14 3:25 am

good suggestions were already posted. the only other ones i can offer is losing yourself in good books - takes your mind away from other issues, and petting dogs or cats. proven to lower blood pressure. and tai chi is good.  i deal with it by doing artwork with my hands.   diane

Join US On The VSG Maintenance Group Forum!! 
                  http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

GeekMonster, Insolent Hag
on 11/10/14 4:02 am - CA
VSG on 12/19/13

I think Gwen listed all the best alternatives.  I can't believe I'm saying this, but exercise is a great stress reliever for me.  I walk for about an hour in the evenings with my headphones on listening to music and it helps me to deal with the stress. 

Another suggestion might be journaling or blogging.  I don't do it, but many others do and it sometimes helps to write out what you're feeling in order to let the stress out.

"Oderint Dum Metuant"    Discover the joys of the Five Day Meat Test!

Height:  5'-7"  HW: 449  SW: 392  GW: 179  CW: 220

gregcoop
on 11/10/14 8:41 am

Try jogging even if it's for 20-30 minutes a day.  It really helps to release stress plus it helps you maintain/reach your weight goal.  Way better if you do it in a park. 

GregCoop    

Changed my life on Sep 20, 2012

ElizaM
on 11/10/14 9:26 am
VSG on 07/24/14

Walking, especially if I can get some sun on my face and out in nature or a park, is definitely the best thing I've found. 

The least productive thing I've found is venting about it, unfortunately for me because that's always what I want to do. It just causes me to dwell on the stressful things instead of actually making me feel better. 

32F 5'8" High weight: 432 | Consult weight: 396 | Surgery weight: 335 | Current weight: 170

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 149 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 422 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 442 views