5 weeks out - 28 total pounds lost - Side pain

lfenix
on 12/4/14 11:23 pm
VSG on 10/27/14 with

Hello all,

Quick update:  I love my sleeve, and am fairly pleased with my weight loss (22 pounds since surgery), but I'm so tired of this lower left side pain.  And before you start to suggest I call my surgeon, I have an appointment scheduled for next Friday, and I have reported it at my 2 week follow-up and they tell me it's normal. It just takes longer for some people to heal. 

I can't sleep or lay on my left side at all.  I have to be be careful when I turn from my waist to the right.  It hurts like the dickens when I go from seated to walking for a few yards while I walk, and then it (usually) subsides, but not always.  I have to be very careful when I stretch my arms up in the air to try to stretch out my abdominal muscles.  It's a burning, stinging sensation and it seems to be worse when my bowels are moving, and seems to subside when my bowels are empty.  I've had this pain in the same area since day 3 after surgery.  It is slightly better each week, with some days worse than others.  

I've read on the internet that some people experience this kind of pain after abdominal surgery (tummy tucks and hernia operations) for as much as 6 months, and some can have a recurrence of the pain anytime for the rest of their lives.  I'm hoping I'm not one of those lucky ones!

Anyway, I've been handling my food very well.  Not once have I felt nauseous or thrown up.  I just feel so full after a few ounces of food, that the thought of eating anything else is just repugnant.  I am grateful for the surgery, because as my weight goes down past each "mile marker" I know I'll never ever pass that weight again.  And that is a wonderful thing!

54, Height 5'2", HW 229 PreOp Diet SW 220  Surg W 214 (10/27/14) GW 135 CW 192

GoBlueGirl1998
on 12/4/14 11:28 pm - MI

You're doing awesome!! I hope your side pain goes away!! I'm one week ahead of you and I'm feeling great too! I hope we continue that way!

GooseGirl
on 12/4/14 11:44 pm
VSG on 10/30/14 with

I had side pain for a couple of weeks that sounds similar to yours. It sucked. Sorry that you have been dealing with it for the last several weeks but congratulations on the 20+ lbs lost! 

FWTX131
on 12/4/14 11:57 pm - Fort Worth, TX
VSG on 10/22/14

I was told the side pain was due to that is where they removed your excess stomach, the 75% they took out.  The pain does go away, but it was nerve racking while it was there.  I'm 6 weeks out and mine went away 2 weeks ago.

mmsmom
on 12/5/14 12:22 am - Woburn, MA

I had two areas of pain - one where they took the stomach out - and one on my side/back - which they attributed to a pulled muscle maybe from my position during surgery.  I bought a post-maternaty belt on amazon and it helped tremendously

VSG on 04/28/2014

Gwen M.
on 12/5/14 2:57 am
VSG on 03/13/14

I had similar pain, but on my right side.  It did go away finally :)  

I'm glad that, otherwise, things are going well!

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 64 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 247 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 314 views