Eating at someones house/restaurant without spilling the beans about your WLS.

crittemom
on 12/15/14 9:33 am

Thanks, with such a close, personal group, sometimes these things can be challenging. Tomorrow is the party, so we'll see how it goes...

Merry Christmas!

GoBlueGirl1998
on 12/15/14 10:04 am - MI

Good luck!! I hope it goes well for you and Merry Christmas!

Age: 40 Height: 5'8" Highest Weight: 325 Starting Weight: 291 Current Weight: 166 Goal Weight: 160

VSG 10/24/14 with Dr. David Chengelis

MegZorar
on 12/14/14 11:55 am

I'd say I'm on a high-protein diet and doing remarkably well and really turning things around healthwise, so I'm working hard to not blow it especially with all the holiday temptations. I'd also ask for their support to stay on track. Something like, "It's been going very well and everyone is supportive, so I hope this continues to help get me through this rough holiday patch."

GoBlueGirl1998
on 12/14/14 9:20 pm - MI

I like your strategy!!

MegZorar
on 12/15/14 5:48 am

Thanks, GoBlueGirl!

crittemom
on 12/15/14 9:35 am

Thanks, great way to put it! Tomorrow is the party, I will definitely try that!

Merry Christmas!

Julia HasHerLifeNow
on 12/14/14 2:39 pm
VSG on 10/09/12

Just take what you can eat and eat slowly. I have noticed that people are a lot less interested in what is in your plate than we think. 

The other option would be to fill your plate sort of normal size, also eat slowly and not come close to finishing. If anyone asks just say you are not hungry...

and the other option is to tell people you have had surgery (not necessarily go into details) and that you are sticking to a recovery diet.

i found that people who don't know me well tend to not ask any questions. But i have no issue with telling anyone about the VSG since I am so happy that I did it!

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com 5ft0; highest weight 222; surgery weight 208; current weight 120

crittemom
on 12/15/14 9:46 am

Thanks, I know I'm probably going to hurt someone's feelings, but it can't be helped. This group enjoys food and all that goes into it, but I think what you say is very valid. It may just be time to put a stop to the value people are putting on food at parties like this. And maybe take a different look at me and why I am doing what I am doing with this surgery. Thanks for making me think!

Merry Christmas!

sechax0r
on 12/14/14 9:09 pm
VSG on 11/03/14

I just tell everyone. I don't really care honestly, I am completely open about it. We have this little Japanese/Korean restaurant we like to go to. We haven't been since I was pre-op. The lady there is so nice. She had asked where we had been and I explained the whole process with my new dietary restrictions. She made sure my food was cooked to minimize fat and carbs (even made suggestions based on what I could eat), didn't bring rice, and brought me a take out container so I could put most of it away. I have found everyone super supportive. She made me enough food for about 4 meals which is great. $11 for 5 meals. I am such a cheap date now :)

crittemom
on 12/15/14 9:56 am

Thanks, this group really likes to cook, and I think we have all focused too much on it. I think I need to try to refocus the group on other things, but it won't be easy. It is a large group of folks, and there tends to be a little animosity at times, I think that is why the focus is on the food..it is a commonality, if you will. I envy your having such a great restaurant; I was given a "diner's card" by my dietician today, which explains to anyone reading it what my surgery was, and what it allows me (and not) to do. The restaurant is then supposed to accommodate my eating ability, and thus assist in my choices. I have yet to try it, as I am just 2 weeks after the surgery. We'll see how it goes!

Merry Christmas!