3 Days post-op.....need to know

NanfromSan
on 12/19/14 10:50 am
VSG on 12/09/14

I'm a week and a half out and still not making my 64oz of water.  Yes, while on my pain meds (off now) I slept a lot and that took away time I could have been drinking.   My biggest problem now is that every time I drink a protein shake I find myself taking forever to fini**** get full, and now have to squeeze in water too.  I'm getting better day by day though.  I'm sure you will do better a time passes.

Start weight:  252 pounds 

High weight:  268 pounds

Alice9248
on 12/19/14 11:14 am

I had mine on the 15.  I've been sleeping a lot.  So far, I have been getting in the water even though I have a gas pain wave with almost every sip.  Remember if you drink a shake that counts toward your 64oz water total. One thing I did was to make a shake with a little water and lots of ice.  Blend it up really well and it comes out like ice cream.  Then you can eat with a spoon.  Very easy way to get 12 oz.

crittemom
on 12/19/14 11:36 am

I had my surgery (also a hiatal hernia repair, by surprise) on the 3rd of December. My doc told me to expect healing to take about twice as long due to the second surgery (hernia, even though it occurred at the same time as the VS). And also that getting the fluids in past that healing hernia area would be challenging, it is. I get between 32-40oz in a day, and even though that is low, my dieticians are ok with it for now. I just have to try and let it go slow. I was also told that I would be about twice as slow to increase in ounces of food I can take in. But eventually I will catch up to the normal level. As far as being cold? Always in the early evening, but by morning I am hot while still in bed. Mostly that is due to my hypothyroidism. I sometimes feel like a lizard that cannot control my temperature! But you can always add clothing, and a warming pad for your mattress is a great option! Good luck to you and a Merry Christmas!

Mfoxjackson
on 12/19/14 8:14 pm - Levittown, NY

I had my surgery in September and at the stage you are at  each day it gets better and better. Make it your job to get fluids in, your body needs it health wise and your body can't lose weight without it. I was told, and confirm with your Doc of course, that sugar free ice pops count towards water intake. That helps as it is easier to consume IMO. 

The cold thing blows my mind. I have ALWAYS been hot. Even when I was last the weight I currently am (many years ago)  I have the heat in the house at 72 and am still chilly. I used to sleep in short sleeves, now I am bundled to the neck. Lol! 

Wildnwonderful
on 12/19/14 10:45 pm

Thanks for all the great advice! It's good to know I am not alone and everyone seems to go through the same type of issues. Hope everyone is doing well and MERRY CHRISTMAS!!

(deactivated member)
on 12/21/14 9:35 am
VSG on 11/17/14

Nope! You are not alone! I'm 5 weeks out and making sure I get my fluids in is still a challenge. I just keep on sipping!  It can be frustrating but it is starting to come together for me. Keep up the good work

Luvmygs
on 12/20/14 2:13 am
VSG on 12/04/14

I just took sips after sips. The first few days after surgery is slow, but it will get better. By day 5 you'll be able to drink your protein and water, hopefully. I was very cold after surgery. Not normal for me who always so hot. Even in the winter. Congratulations and hope you continue to have good recovery. I'm 16 days post-op and feeling wonderful!

Bonnie1960
on 12/20/14 3:15 am, edited 12/20/14 3:16 am

I had my surgery on Dec 1, and Im frozen solid!  I layer up and it seems like the chills come from the inside out...hard to describe.  I also had a hiatal hernia repaired at same time...and yes, that hurt a lot! Im trying like heck to get my water in, it's tough!!

Happy Holidays!!

LAPBAND Surgery in Norman, Oklahoma on 12/3/2003

Vertical Sleeve  Revision Surgery  in Amarillo, Texas on  12/1/2014   

RachaelThomas
on 12/20/14 10:31 am - South Point, OH
VSG on 12/17/14

I also had mine the 17th. With each day I am able to consume more and more. I haven't been gettin in all my protein just yet but I'm drinking and sucking on Popsicles. I had 2 shakes today but it took me almost all day. I made some sugar free fat free pudding with non flavored protein ate some of that too. I couldn't even tell a difference. Tomorrow I'm hoping to finally meet my protein goal. I keep using self talk. Trying to motivate myself. It's hard but I've been so blessed. I haven't had any pain meds since I've been home. The sooner you get off all that the easier it will be to get liquids in. I tried liquid hyrdrocodone once before they sent me home. It set my insides on fire and made me sick. Totally not worth it. The worst thing is no stinkin energy. Certain times I feel awesome and then others I'm so drained. Again, it's a work in progress and I don't regret my decision at all. This is all new. You just gotta keep in a positive mind set. The rest will fall into place.

Wildnwonderful
on 12/21/14 1:37 am

Thanks everyone!! Always good to know I am not alone> Merry Christmas and lets all keep up the good work...; )