BMI under 35

aenewcomb9
on 1/15/15 9:29 pm

Hi, I'm new on this forum. My husband had vsg done Dec of 2012, and lost 140lbs. His BMI was 46, so we went through insurance (and all the hoops) for his surgery. Now I am becoming serious about having it done, too. My BMI is not as high but I have struggled with my weight my whole life. I can lose ten or so pounds by working SO hard for SO long, then eat a cheese burger on a bad day and gain 4lbs back. I have hypothyroidism and I think I'm just one of those people where losing weight is exceptionally difficult.

My BMI is around 32, so we would need to pay out of pocket for my surgery since insurance wise I don't qualify. I'm 27 and I want to get ahold of my weight (and my life) now. I'm exhausted of obsessing over being miserable from my weight, and ive seen firsthand what a great tool this surgery can be. I have a good idea what to expect, because I was with my husband through his whole process.

Anyway, my question is, is there anyone on here who had vsg with a BMI less than 35? Did you successfully lose weight? How was your recovery? 

Thank you!

Brad Special
Snowflake

on 1/16/15 12:22 am
VSG on 12/06/12

Hello and welcome. My BMI was over 60 so not much help. I just wanted to share a link with you. It is for the lightweight board on here. I am guessing you may find some low BMI people here. http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/wls_lightweights/

Flabaway
on 1/16/15 1:31 pm
VSG on 01/05/15 with

My bmi was 32 pre sleeve. It has been higher in the past. I have some back issues which make the kind of sustained exercise I would have had to do to keep the weight off really painful. I was giving up, so I went with the vsg. I am fairly conscious of a lot of disapproval for someone my size having wls, even here. I'm ok with that, I'm responsible for my own body. In this hunk of flesh, I make the decisions. 

Im only 10 days post op so there's much I can't answer yet, but what I've learned so far is that my meal planning and my overall eating and health focus is not what it should have been because I didn't hook up with a registered dietitian, as would have been mandatory along with counseling etc. Instead Ive been going off a surgeons list of suggestions, do's and don'ts. 

So far I've lost 17 lbs, but the scale hasn't moved in 4 days or so and I've been avoiding the protein shakes and pureeing the living hell out of chicken breasts and going for my protein that way. I meet with my RD next week to get myself on course for slim city. Also yesterday I was bad and puréed a chicken curry without removing the potato. :(

suaz
on 1/16/15 7:25 pm
VSG on 10/25/14 with

My BMI is 31. It's been slow going. At 11 weeks out I've lost 23 pounds, but that is 50% of my excess weight. I'm in a stall right now. With a lower BMI, your weight loss will be slower. It does work though. 

Most Active