Does VSG control hunger better than RNY?

(deactivated member)
on 2/11/15 11:51 am - Portland, OR
RNY on 05/04/15

Does anyone know if this is the case? It would make sense since the ghrelin-producing part of the stomach is removed, but my surgeon said this is temporary anyway and that hunger and satiety are pretty comparable with both surgeries. I found this abstract for an article that supports that theory, but does anyone know of any more data on this?

happytoloose
on 2/11/15 1:08 pm

I can't speak for the rny, but my three and a half month old sleeve is great!

I am literally never hungry. I have to set reminders for when its time to eat.

I still get half of my daily protein from a morning shake. Yuk, but I don't stress alot about a number all day.

I am supposed to get 60 plus gr a day. Most days, I make it, some days I don't. I don't sweat it anymore.

My sleeve is only 15%, so the restriction is very strong when I do eat. No more than an oz and a half and I'm full for hours.

I'm still learning how to eat again, but as of now, there's no way I can get the 60g in with food. Just not enough room in there.

I still get the head hungries now and then but can't or won't act on them. Its weird, ill make something, thinking I'm gonna tear it up, eat my fill, and take 2 or 3 bites. That's it. And never look back.

The sleeve is supposed to be all restriction, but I gotta wonder. My body is changing so fast it freaks me out.

I chose the sleeve because its less invasive and doesn't rearrange the plumbing, and so far, so good.

I used to be hungry ALL THE TIME. Not anymore.

Rod

georgeb3
on 1/25/18 10:28 am - Abington, PA

Rod,

I'm getting a revision surgery from lap-band to VSG. I've heard horror stories about GERD...have you experienced that?

Congrats btw on your surgery.

George

frisco
on 2/11/15 1:20 pm

I can't tell you what an RNYer feels like, just like an RNYer can't tell you what a sleeve feels like......

My findings for myself is very similar to Spencerella's post the other day, a little bit hungry, very manageable.

http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/vsg/5304902/A-Little-Bit-H ungry/

Pre surgery was like venomous hunger around lunch time followed by getting jittery and headachy around 3PM if I missed lunch..... same if dinner got delayed.

Not saying that others have had the same experience, but for me that part was delivered as written about the ghrelin reduction and VSG.

Ghrelin is produced in other parts of the body.

My opinion is that very tight restriction coupled with knowing your pyloric valve function and the hunger reduction are the major physical components to the VSG.

frisco

SW 338lbs. GW 175lbs. Goal in 11 months. CW 148lbs. WL 190lbs.

" To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art "

VSG Maintenance Group Forum

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

CAFE FRISCO at LapSF.com

Dr. Paul Cirangle

Stacy_WLS
on 2/11/15 11:00 pm

I don't know about the RNY -- I would post on the forum for their perspective.  

For me, I still have hunger -- as I am getting further out it is coming back more.  I also notice that the more I workout, the more my hunger increases.  I have head hunger much for frequently.  My hunger is not ALL CONSUMING as it used to be.  Before it literally could not be ignored.  

While I have hunger, I can satiate it easily with 200 calories of well chosen food.  Before 1000 calories was really required to make me happy.  So things are much different.  I still have to make the right choices, but it is easier. 

VSG: 12/12/13, LBL, small TL, BL/BA: 11/7/14 Twins 12/9/18 HW after Twins 260. 5'10 37 years old - Stacy_WLS (MFP)

Tracy D.
on 2/12/15 12:13 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

At about 21 months post-op I can tell you that I do still experience hunger but it is NOTHING like it used to be - nothing!  My hunger used to be the type that Frisco describes..."venomous".  Now it's more of a gentle nudging and a lot of times it will go away if I keep busy and ignore it.  

I would say don't let the control of physical hunger be the one thing that decides you on VSG or RNY.  I have friends and family who've had RNY and we all seem to experience about the same level of hunger...as long as we don't start eating a bunch of carbs.  

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

TheNewT
on 2/12/15 1:32 am
VSG on 08/04/14

6 months out from VSG and the hunger feeling is not there often. This is partly b/****ep myself eating and drinking on a schedule. If I get slack on the weekend and fall off schedule, I get hungry. I say "I could eat". My saying before surgery, "I could strip-search a mouse for a piece of cheese". 

ShrinkingViolet2013
on 2/12/15 1:51 am

I only can speak about VSG and my own experience.  I'm 15 months out and still have absolutely no hunger or thirst and very tight restriction.  I've heard through my surgeon's office that they still need to do more long term studies on ghrelin and VSG.  Lots of good luck!!

Valerie G.
on 2/12/15 3:42 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

I have not had the RNY, so I cannot speak to that.

What I can speak to is that as a 9 yr DSer, my body has found new ways to remind me to eat.  The sensation is different but can also be ignored if I'm particularly busy, so I make efforts to pause and nourish myself.

One thing I've heard about RNY is that if the stoma is stretched, food empties from the pouch immediately and the patient is left with a hungry, empty pouch all of the time.  That's a contributor to weight gain with RNY.  Their excessive hunger is real, but their capacity is smaller.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 72 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 269 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 329 views