Feel like I haven't lost enough compared to others at my stage...

Sandra F.
on 2/12/15 2:16 am

I am about 4 1/2 months post op and have only lost 60 lbs so far.  In reading some of your posts, I don't think I'm doing to good with my weight loss.  Anyone else feel like it is not coming off as fast for you as it is for others?

MissNexxie
on 2/12/15 2:27 am
VSG on 04/30/14

Please do not compare yourself to others. This is a very individual and personal journey. As long as you are eating healthy, exercising and following your doctors orders you will be fine. Some months I lost only 1 lb per week and others had bigger losses. It's a patience game and a learning time. Don't let the scale dictate your feelings of  success.

Any loss is a good loss.  Good luck.

Surgery: April 30, 2014: HW: 288 SW: 250 Achieved Goal 149 lbs: April 8, 2015 CW: 158 lbs (working on losing 65 lb regain as of June 1, 2021. Weight was at 215 lbs). Fighting every darn day!

Sarah M.
on 2/12/15 2:31 am - San Francisco Bay Area, CA
VSG on 01/19/15

So funny - I just had this conversation with my food shrink last night.  I, too, feel like I'm not losing a lot compared to everyone else.  She patiently reminded me that the only person I need to compare myself to is myself.  As long as I REALLY TRULY am doing my plan the way I'm supposed to (tracking food, protein grams, water...), then I can't worry about other people.  They made be younger, have higher metabolisms due to more muscle mass, exercise more, be on medications or have health conditions that are different from mine...there are thousands of reasons.

Think about yourself.  Sixty pounds in 4.5 months is a LOT.  Surely you've been on diets or weight loss programs in the past -- are you doing better now than you did then?  Is the scale headed in the right direction?  Are you wearing smaller sizes - sizes you haven't seen since high school/college/kindergarten?  Have you learned more about health and nutrition?  Are you taking better care of yourself than before?  I'm sure you can come up with a THOUSAND ways you are doing better than you ever have before.  That voice that gets critical and compares you to others does no good.  That's what I've decided anyway...

VSG 1/19/15 | HW: 262 | SW: 255 | CW: 146 (3/20/16)

Gwen M.
on 2/12/15 2:35 am
VSG on 03/13/14

Only 60 pounds in 18 weeks?!  Only??  That's over 3 pounds a week.  That's AWESOME.  

We all suffer from falling into the trap of comparing ourselves to others, and we shouldn't.  We all different, we all lose weight differently.  Just work on you and try not to pay attention to how other people are losing.  If you stick to your plan, you'll reach your goal, and that's all that matters.  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

GooseGirl
on 2/12/15 5:48 am
VSG on 10/30/14 with

Gwen stole my response :) It is incredibly easy to compare yourself to other folks but you have lost 3+ lbs a week. That is great. I bet any other time you tried to lose weight you would have been ecstatic to be consistently losing 3 lbs a week. Try and keep remembering that the only person's results you really need to worry about are your own. I know that's really hard to do.

And when I post a message at some point with similar feelings please feel free to remind me to take my own advice 

happytoloose
on 2/12/15 10:45 am

Watch what you wish for.

One can loose too fast early on.

Everybody is unique in how the pounds come off.

I was worried about loosing too fast at first , I felt lousy when I lost 10 or more pounds a week.

Its much better now, still a stall and loose stair step ordeal but the average daily loss is still about a pound.

I don't wanna loose any faster, for fear of loosing muscle mass.

Its outa my control, my body is dictating what I loose. I just try to meet my liquid and protien goals everyday, and  stay clear of empty calories and carbs.

I still can't eat more than a couple of ounces at a sitting. No way I could cheat even if I wanted to. And I don't.

Your body will catch up, and when it does, you'll freak out. In the mean time, enjoy the nsv's . Things are a changing'.

Stick to the program and you can't NOT loose weigh****er, protein, exercise, and a positive attitude are the keys to success.

Rod

Zee Starrlite
on 2/13/15 1:21 am

If you started at say 4 or 500lbs then I'd be concerned.  Chill out, stop comparing yourself to others, and simply do what you are supposed to do.  Follow your post-op requirements and you will be fine.

All Best,

L

3/30/2005 Lap Band installed  12/20/2010  Lap Band REMOVED  
6/6/2011 Vertical SLEEVE Gastrectomy

GoBlueGirl1998
on 2/13/15 1:24 am - MI

Hello 60 lbs. That is awesome and you should be proud of yourself.

I try not to compare myself to other, but that is easier said than done. I know I have lost faster than some and slower than others. The main thing is I'm losing and feel great.

Good luck to you on the rest of your journey!

Age: 40 Height: 5'8" Highest Weight: 325 Starting Weight: 291 Current Weight: 166 Goal Weight: 160

VSG 10/24/14 with Dr. David Chengelis

Sandra F.
on 3/2/15 2:19 am

Thank you so much for the encouragement.  It is just what I needed.  Good luck to you too!

MaggieDoodle
on 3/2/15 2:34 am
VSG on 09/08/14

Four and a half months after surgery, I had lost 52 lbs. Now, at just under six months, I have lost 60 lbs. So eight pounds lost in the last month and a half. At first, I obsessed about how fast it was coming off, but now I truly don't care. I am eating in a way that I believe is sustainable for me the rest of my life. I don't feel deprived of anything. I no longer avoid looking in the mirror. I no longer have knee pain with every step I take. My blood pressure is under control for the first time in decades. It's all good!

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 75 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 275 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 331 views