Guilt?

Jamie86
on 2/12/15 2:55 am - Union Corner NB, Canada
VSG on 03/19/15

I am scheduled for my sleeve next Thursday, This week I came "out of the closet" so to speak and told all my FB friends that I was having WLS. I wasn't hiding that I was having it done but I wasn't broadcasting it either. 

Today I'm feeling a little guilty because since I told everyone there are a bunch of my friends that have reached out to me telling me they have been on the waiting list for years with other doctors I have been on for 2 years. I'm in Canada and there are only 4 Doctors in our province. How I think I got selected so soon was I found out about this Dr. with in the first few months of him doing this procedure and got on his waiting list early before people found out about him. 

I feel bad because some of my friends health wise are in greater need then me and have been waiting longer. 

Has anyone ever felt like this? I'm not going to back out of it but I just want to know what I should/could say when they ask how i got in so quick. I have been telling them it was Luck but I can see that some are kind of upset with me. 

Surgery Date February 19th, 2015..... Cancelled due to the DECH in Fredericton not having any Beds :( 

Re-booked for March 19th, 2015

Goal #1 - Training for Mudd Sweat and Tears on August 15th, 2015 - all 10km's completed! 

Goal #2 - Achieving Goal weight!

tracik3
on 2/12/15 3:48 am

I know its probably hard to not feel guilty but your health is just as important!  I go Tuesday for my consult so I have not had surgery yet.  I would just keep saying what you are saying. That's its luck.  Because if you tell them you got in before everyone knew about him they might want to know why you didn't tell them about him.  

jenorama
on 2/12/15 4:00 am - CA
RNY on 10/07/13

Don't waste your time feeling guilty for something out of your control.  Tell them the truth--that you were on the ball and got in with a new doc while he had a short waiting list.  You didn't do anything wrong, just proactive!  :D

Jen

Tracy D.
on 2/12/15 5:06 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

I'm chuckling over the comment that you told all your FB friends that you weren't "broadcasting it".  Honey, if you put it on FB you certainly did broadcast it   Each of those FB friends can now tell numerous friends, and they'll tell friends, etc. When you put it on social media you have effectively told the world.  

Anyway - I agree with everyone else who is telling you that guilt is a perfectly useless emotion in this case.  You didn't do anything wrong, you didn't "steal" their surgery away from them.

And it wasn't "luck" that got you in so early.  You were smart and savvy in how you approached it and rolled the dice to go with a newer surgeon who may not be as experienced as other ones they've signed up for it.  All the best to you!   

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

Jamie86
on 2/12/15 5:11 am - Union Corner NB, Canada
VSG on 03/19/15

LOL Yes telling your FB friends is defiantly broadcasting it. I meant before I told my FB Friends, I wasn't trying to hide it but I wasn't Broadcasting it either. 

Surgery Date February 19th, 2015..... Cancelled due to the DECH in Fredericton not having any Beds :( 

Re-booked for March 19th, 2015

Goal #1 - Training for Mudd Sweat and Tears on August 15th, 2015 - all 10km's completed! 

Goal #2 - Achieving Goal weight!

Tracy D.
on 2/12/15 5:24 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

Gotcha 

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

(deactivated member)
on 2/12/15 5:42 am

It seems like they're directing their anger at you because you're the nearest target. Who else are they going to direct their anger at, even though you've done nothing to personally slight them? When people take something like this personally, it really has nothing to do with you. It's jealousy and fear - they're worried about their own stuff and sometimes fear is expressed as anger.

You don't owe anyone anything, least of all any feelings of guilt. 

I mentioned on FB that I was planning on having surgery, just because it was easier for me to put it out there than to have it trickle out and get passed around and people to talk about it behind my back. I'd rather just put it out there factually than to have to correct people later when I've actually had surgery and perhaps won't be up to it. 

People are allowed to feel what they feel - all we can do is the best we can for ourselves.

PrayMore
on 2/12/15 10:14 am

You seem like a very sincere person and care about the others who are waiting, but you can't feel bad about it. How were you to know? It just happened for you sooner.

Very interesting how Canada's system works for this surgery! I thought waiting a month for a surgery date after my insurance finally approved was bad! (The insurance process was the most harrowing part for me.)  I guess our surgeons are book a month or two out while surgeons in Canada are booked out for years! WOW!

I have a similar story to yours, but in reverse. I finally did get my insurance approval and surgery date back in late October. And a few days later, one of my good friends announced on FB that she was going in for surgery THE NEXT DAY! I was so happy for her - and surprised! But, honestly, if I didn't already have my approval and date, I would have been so jealous! (And I'm not a jealous person.)  In the end, it all worked out. 

Your journey is yours! Don't worry about the rest. Best wishes to you! 

5'6", VSG on Dec. 2

Kiwideb
on 2/12/15 10:51 am, edited 2/12/15 10:52 am
VSG on 01/19/15

I'm not in Canada but from NZ but the system is similar Don't get the system to confused - If you pay to go privately and not the the state system you could get your surgery any time you want. 

And when you think about it, how many people have waited 2 years for ins to finally approve surgery in the US? So time frames are not nec all that different. Costs sure are though sometimes

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 72 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 270 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 329 views