Hair Loss after VSG

syaohio
on 2/13/15 6:48 am
with

Anyone else having hair loss after surgery? It will soon be 6 months for me, have had a rough time of it, finally able to eat. I know I do not get enough protein, totally my fault, but I really just can't tolerate the protein drinks of any sort...I do try and eat foods with protein, but not enough...meat is still very difficult for me, pasts and breads are out also...things I loved before surgery don't have the same appeal to me now...I do keep salmon patties made, have cheese assortment, sliced turkey, baby butterbeans canned, celery with peanut butter, dry roasted nuts...but hard to plan menus when not taking in enough protein...what do you do for foods (menus) and how much protein do you get a day...I will have to get a wig this coming week as it is coming out really bad and very thin areas are showing, and my fingernails are split, peeling back..

Ready to join in this thing called LIFE

Gwen M.
on 2/13/15 7:06 am
VSG on 03/13/14

Lots and lots of people experience this.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Telogen_effluvium

At 6 months out, you shouldn't have an issue getting your protein in, or eating food in general.  Have you talked with your surgeon about your difficulties with eating?  Are you taking your vitamins?  You should be getting at least 60 grams of protein a day.  There are infinite kinds of shakes - experiment with them until you find one you like.  Plan your menus so that you will get enough protein.  

There's a post here pretty much every day where people share what they're eating.  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

tstowe
on 2/13/15 8:41 pm

My wife and I had surgery on the same day in September. She has been losing a lot of hair but I don't think I am. No idea why... we eat pretty much the same thing every day.

I do have really thick hair. I don't know if that has anything to do with it.

She's been losing for about 1.5 to 2 months now.

The loss is slowing down. Hang in there.

Journey2be
on 2/13/15 8:42 am

Have you tried biotin as a supplement for the hair loss? It's supposed to help. 

Gwen M.
on 2/13/15 8:56 am
VSG on 03/13/14

Sadly biotin, nor any other cream or potion, will stop the hair loss.  Best to save your money.

Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Kiwideb
on 2/13/15 10:28 am
VSG on 01/19/15

It might not stop you loosing it, but it will help you grow it back. As someone with thin fine hair to begin with you will pry my biotin out of my cold dead hands. It has made a huge difference for me post surgery and am hoping it helps me survive the post surgical hair loss gracefully.

Gwen M.
on 2/13/15 10:30 am
VSG on 03/13/14

It can also cause unwanted hair growth elsewhere.  It will definitely help the hair that grows back in to be healthy!

Kinde
on 2/13/15 9:11 am

I have experienced this ( I am on coming out of a long road) I had surgery complications and had to have a second one in December so I am 6 months out as well.  I am having a lot of hair loss and because all i could drink for 4 months after surgery was protein shakes I started throwing them up (tried every kind).  Here is what I do and I get close to the 60grams.  I start off with a chobani greek yogurt (7 grams of protein) for mid-morning snack think thin protein bar (they do not make me nauseated and if eaten slowly they are tolerable) 14 grams of protein, for lunch the star-fish tuna creations have 14 grams of protein, for dinner scallops (high in protein)you could get about 28 grams out of 2) and then for a snack before bed I will do two tablespoons of peanut butter.  You can also get the canned chicken salad and swap out with the tuna.  I understand what you are going through every day i lose a ton of hair but I keep telling myself it will grow back.  I take the gummy pre-natal vitamins as well. Good Luck (hugs)

syaohio
on 2/13/15 9:39 pm
with

Thank you.  I also have had a lot of problems, no second surgery but a whole lot of nutrition and vitamins by IV and finally was able to start eating about a month ago...taking children's chewable vitamins and extra B-Complex. I can't tolerate adult vitamins either, did the same as you threw them up...dry heaves..got pneumonia and took so many antibiotics and had a really bad reaction, got the flu, and numerous other things, plus I have Crohn's.  I made crab salad yesterday and love it, it's just finding the foods with protein and that you like them...getting nauseated can happen real easy when you don't like the taste or smell of something...and hugs back to you...think you totally understand what is going on with me.

Ready to join in this thing called LIFE

psren13
on 2/13/15 9:55 am - NC
VSG on 03/11/15
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 75 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 275 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 331 views