Need to get things moving

BlueHeron81
on 2/15/15 4:42 am - MD
VSG on 01/30/15

Im having a difficult time going to the bathroom. I'm two weeks out and still on protein shakes and liquids.  I don't start puréed foods until Friday.  I emailed my surgeons office and they recommended aloe vera juice and probiotics for constipation.  I've been doing the aloe vera juice for three days with little success.  I've done milk of magnesia a couple of times but don't want to get hooked on that.  I've increased my exercise and doing better with my water.  I'm really thinking of stopping the protein shakes all together to stop this madness.  I've never had a problem going to the bathroom before. I need some advice. It's making me crazy.

hollykim
on 2/15/15 4:58 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On February 15, 2015 at 12:42 PM Pacific Time, BlueHeron81 wrote:

Im having a difficult time going to the bathroom. I'm two weeks out and still on protein shakes and liquids.  I don't start puréed foods until Friday.  I emailed my surgeons office and they recommended aloe vera juice and probiotics for constipation.  I've been doing the aloe vera juice for three days with little success.  I've done milk of magnesia a couple of times but don't want to get hooked on that.  I've increased my exercise and doing better with my water.  I'm really thinking of stopping the protein shakes all together to stop this madness.  I've never had a problem going to the bathroom before. I need some advice. It's making me crazy.

many Vosges have this problem after surgery and forever more,I do and have has for 6 years. 

You need to start a stool softener every night or something like generic Miralax,which is a non habit forming laxative that is safe to use daily,if necessary.

i take stool softeners every night and if I miss a bm that day,I take a dose of Miralax at bedtime. 

It will likely become something that you.  Need to manage. Protein is constipating,but stopping it is not really an option as you are actively losing. Your body needs that protein,especially since you can accomplish a bm with mild help.

Beth Of Fletchair
on 2/15/15 5:00 am, edited 2/15/15 5:31 am
with

It kind of depends on what's actually going on in your intestines.  Do you think you need a laxative or a stool softener? I know its asking for too much information so you don't have to answer but Glycerin suppositories work super well if you need a softener and don't interfere with your surgery in any way.  They work in less than an hour.  If it's a laxative that you need, did you try good old (no sugar added) Prune Juice?
When you start on pureed foods try mashed lentil every few days....that basically blew me out.  

BlueHeron81
on 2/15/15 5:54 am - MD
VSG on 01/30/15

I think I may need a stool softener. I feel the need to go, but it just gets stuck. It's so frustrating.  Thanks for the advice.

Kiwideb
on 2/15/15 6:07 am
VSG on 01/19/15

Totally get your... Pain  I'm at 4 weeks so am trying to add a few fats back in, but I totally get it. I bought prune juice today to help things when necessary. 

rocky513
on 2/15/15 6:39 am - WI

Getting enough fluids in is the most important thing in combating constipation.  64 ounces is the MINIMUM required amount.  My body needs closer to 120 ounces to function.  If I don't drink at least that much, I get constipated and nauseated.  Most stool softeners, laxatives, and meds like Miralax pull water from your intestinal tract  to soften the poo.  I stands to reason that if you are not drinking enough there won't be enough fluid to draw out of the intestines for the medication to work properly. I take 750 mg of magnesium oxide daily and a dose of Benefiber morning and night.  It works for me.

HW 270 SW 236 GW 160 CW 145 (15 pounds below goal!)

VBG Aug. 7, 1986, Revised to RNY Nov. 18, 2010

Valerie G.
on 2/15/15 8:41 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

Are you still on pain meds?  I ask because they constipate me every time. 

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

BlueHeron81
on 2/15/15 9:12 am - MD
VSG on 01/30/15

No. I actually never had to take any when I left the hospital.

iloveravens
on 2/16/15 2:59 am
RNY on 08/13/14

Miralax is a miracle worker :)  I highly suggest a capful in some crystal light.  Good luck!  xoxo

Lanie; Age: 43; Surgery Date (VSG): 8/12/14 w/complications resulting in RNY next day;

Height: 5' 6" SW: 249 Comfort Zone: 135-140 CW: 138 (10/13/17)

M1: -25 lbs M2: -12 M3: -13 M4: -7 M5: -11 M6: -10 M7: -7 M8: -7 M9: -3 M10: -8 M11: -4 M12: -4

5K PR - 24:15 (4/23/16) First 10K - 53:30 (10/18/15)

cconroy55
on 2/16/15 3:53 am

my dr recommended benefiber so I've started slowly adding that to my morning protein drink and will start adding in the evening too to work up to the recommended dose (just in case I'm more sensitive to the fiber).

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 131 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 388 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 421 views