Appetite jump at 6-7 months?

becomingjenn
on 2/13/15 10:41 am

My six-month anniversary as January 25th, and lately I've noticed that my intake capacity has increased quite a bit.  Is this something you guys have experienced?  I'm a bit taken aback at how hungry I've been the last couple of weeks.  I've increased my protein but I'm thinking that maybe I should be adding fruits and veggies instead, since I haven't been getting much of those since the surgery.  Thoughts?

Jenn

"I know things about stuff."         

DISCLAIMER: User must apply appropriate Snark and Sarcasm fonts to above post.  Failure to apply may result in feelings of irritation and/or insult.

----

Sleeve 7-25-14 / HW 333 / SW 316 / CW 155.8

Gwen M.
on 2/13/15 10:46 am
VSG on 03/13/14

I've had some bouts of hunger post-op and I've "fixed" them just by taking a 14-day course of Nexium.  The hunger has just been a stomach acid issue and, after Nexium, I'm fine for a number of months.  

I don't know if I can eat more food at this point, since I haven't tried!  I'm fine with my 4 ounce meals.  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

(deactivated member)
on 2/13/15 11:13 am

It is very normal to have mild increases in capacity at about 6 months, 9 months and 12 months. By that time you have a fully mature sleeve and what you have for capacity is what it will most likely be from that point forward.

If you are feeling hungry shortly after you eat, that could be attributed to over production of acid and a PPI or H2 blocker (Pepcid, Zantac) might be in order.

I'd talk to my surgeon or his support team about what you're experiencing

As for what to increase, that's up to you and what fits in your plan. If you are at goal, then adding some low carb fruit sounds okay. If not, I'd stick with protein and vegetables until you're at goal, but that's just me. I added blueberries immediately after reaching goal!

T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 2/13/15 3:23 pm - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14 with

I noticed my capacity has increased, but I kinda expected it. I do try to under eat my sleeve, so I compare what I eat now, to what I ate a couple of months after surgery & see where I can make adjustments without eating too much. So far I increased my protein intake & my water intake. I make my meals smaller & more spread out. I figure once I'm close to or at goal I'll add in some more fruit & veggies.

No one surgery is better than the other, what works for one may not work for another. T-Rebel

https://fivedaymeattest.com/

frisco
on 2/13/15 5:16 pm

A few things happen at about the 6 month mark to a lot of people (a lot means not everybody) that can hamper WL severely.

- Sleeve size/capacity starts to eventualize......bigger sleeves means bigger capacity means the ability to eat more food. (sure, the answer is to eat less)

- Some people start to run low on commitment and compliance.

- Increasing/adding are typically not the answers for continued WL in most cases. Keeping it tight and even going less is very common of those that make the lower goal weight ranges.

Adding fruits is basically adding sugar. Fruit is a very efficient delivery system for sugar. Fruit tends to be more of a maintenance food.

Hope this helps !

frisco

SW 338lbs. GW 175lbs. Goal in 11 months. CW 148lbs. WL 190lbs.

" To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art "

VSG Maintenance Group Forum

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

CAFE FRISCO at LapSF.com

Dr. Paul Cirangle

White Dove
on 2/13/15 11:49 pm - Warren, OH

Our prehistoric ancestors had to go through cold winters with limited sources of heat and shelter.  They learned that during the summer months they could eat fruit and that would build a layer of fat that helped him them warm during the cold months ahead.

Fruit is a natural source of sugar and an excellent way to add fat and weight to your body.  Other than occasional strawberries and blueberries, I did not eat any fruit until long after I reached and learned to maintain my goal weight.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

becomingjenn
on 2/14/15 1:58 am

Thanks for all the replies! Good food for thought (ha).

Jenn

"I know things about stuff."         

DISCLAIMER: User must apply appropriate Snark and Sarcasm fonts to above post.  Failure to apply may result in feelings of irritation and/or insult.

----

Sleeve 7-25-14 / HW 333 / SW 316 / CW 155.8

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 75 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 275 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 331 views