My poor husband is having a hard time first week postop

KeishaLeigh
on 2/28/15 11:56 pm - NC
VSG on 02/24/15 with

Hi I had surgery on Feb 24th also. It can be tough getting enough fluid in. My doctor did say that for the first week only I can have liquids with some sugar because they sit better on the stomach. So I purchased the lightest grape and apple juice that I could find and watered it down a little more. I have had no problem drinking these so far. It is not something that I will do constantly but I was told it was ok for right now. Hope he starts feeling better.

38 y.o. 5'7" HW 347 SW 332 M1 -22 M2 -18 M3 -19 M4 -9 M5 -18 M6 -11 M7 -13 M8-9 M9 -7 M10 -8 M11 -5 M12 -1 M13 -9 M14 -0 

Luvmygs
on 3/1/15 1:06 am
VSG on 12/04/14

Please tell your husband the first 2 weeks are hard, but it does get better. After surgery his new stomach is very swollen and can only handle small sips every 2-3 minutes. It took me about 5 days to get 1 protein shake in and it took me almost 6 hours to drink. Water is so important. Have him try sugar free popsicles. Have him watch this youtube video with Dr. Alvarez on Swollen stomach after surgery. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_P1LOpsx39w  Good luck and he'll start feeling better soon. Christine

JoeyJo
on 3/1/15 3:34 am - NJ

The worst part should be over.   Hot broths,  sugar free Popsicles and Propel flavors waters got me through that time plus sf Jello and puddings. 

jenig0013
on 3/1/15 4:10 am

Thanks for all the tips. He seems to be able to do a bit better today, seems to like diluted apple juice. Can't do anything hot, he says the idea makes him nauseated. If he's able to get all of his fluids he can try protein shakes today. How long until you guys didn't wonder "what the hell did I just do?"

Sarah M.
on 3/1/15 4:21 am - San Francisco Bay Area, CA
VSG on 01/19/15

Honestly, at 6 weeks, I still wonder sometimes "what did I just do??"  But generally the 2nd week was MUCH better than the first, the third was better than the 2nd, and so on...  I stopped sleeping so much the 2nd or 3rd week -- and walking walking walking was SO helpful.  

VSG 1/19/15 | HW: 262 | SW: 255 | CW: 146 (3/20/16)

Luvmygs
on 3/2/15 12:14 am
VSG on 12/04/14

3 weeks I stopped complaining to myself. But yes, I too said "what the hell was I thinking" after 2 days after surgery. But now that I'm 3 months out, its been the BEST thing I ever did for myself and wished I had done this surgery sooner!

Brian S.
on 3/1/15 5:01 am - Nicholasville, KY

VSG is a major trauma upon the body.  Recovery is serious business and the body is going to need rest.  At the same time, he needs to be up and moving.  I cannot thank the hospital staff enough for keeping on me after my surgery and getting my butt up out of the bed.  I remember lying in the ICU after my surgery and thinking "Are you crazy" when seemingly a few hours post-surgery I was being told to get up and move.  Thankfully at that time I had the On-Q ball which is a surgical blessing.  I had my VSG in 2009 and I would hope that all surgeons use it or the technology which has succeeded it by now. 

Back to your husband, as far as fluids go, he doesn't have to gulp.  He can sip and sip and sip.  The goal is the end-result of getting the fluids in.  Maybe throw some crystal light or kool-aid in there to add some flavor.  I personally am 6 years post-surgery and my taste-buds have changed drastically from what they once were.  There was a time when I ate a cheeseburger every single day of my life and now I am satisfied to go months at a time without a burger. 

In regards to his sleepiness, does he have obstructive sleep apnea?  if so, has the surgeon asked him to not use his CPAP/BIPAP machine for the time being?  If so, this could add some insight as to why he is excessively sleepy as he may not be getting the deep, REM-sleep that he may be accustomed to receiving when he is on his positive airway therapy.

Kiwideb
on 3/1/15 6:14 am
VSG on 01/19/15

Something I tried that helped - I was craving a hot chocolate like crazy for the warm comforting feeling. I warmed my cup of milk and added a scoop of protein powder (not too hot, you'll kill the protein), and I found that went down a little easier than the cold protein shake did for a few days.

Ihearttennis
on 3/1/15 11:20 pm - LA
VSG on 04/24/13

I drank Isopure that I got from Smoothie King.  It doesn't taste great but it has 40 grams of protein and is comparable to  Gatorade. I tried to drink one a day which helped me reach my fluid and protein goals.  Also, keep moving, even rocking in a rocking chair will help get the gas out from the anesthesia.

"Whether you believe you can or you can't ....you are right! " by Henry Ford

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 94 views