HELP!! On a 3 month STALL!!!

T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 3/25/15 8:27 am, edited 3/25/15 8:27 am - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14 with

I don't pay attention to the calories mfp says I need to lose weight. The goals are very general & really not for those who've had wls. I use it to track & stay within certain guidelines.

Even though my plan doesn't have me counting calories, carbs, I track them anyway. My nut wants me to get at least 80g of protein, preferably dense protein, then carbs from veggies first, then from fruit, along with my vits & water.

I really don't plan out the amt of protein I'll eat at 1 time, I admit it, I don't cook. So most of my meals are either prepackaged & cooked already, & sometimes I might cook something simple, like scrambled eggs or grilled chicken.

So far I keep my calories between 700-1000, 80g or more of protein, 80g or more of water, keep carbs under 60g. Mind you I'm still a newbie, but so far this works for me. I readjust the numbers as I go down.

Oh & thanks!

No one surgery is better than the other, what works for one may not work for another. T-Rebel

https://fivedaymeattest.com/

Firstlady06
on 3/26/15 7:47 am

Thank you this helps a great deal....

SD:07-07-14...   HW: 375..   SW:365..   GW: 180  

GeekMonster, Insolent Hag
on 3/25/15 8:32 am - CA
VSG on 12/19/13

MFP does not accurately calculate the number of calories you need to lose weight if you're a weight loss surgery patient.

"Oderint Dum Metuant"    Discover the joys of the Five Day Meat Test!

Height:  5'-7"  HW: 449  SW: 392  GW: 179  CW: 220

GeekMonster, Insolent Hag
on 3/25/15 8:34 am - CA
VSG on 12/19/13

There is a daily thread here called "What are you eating today?" that will give you some idea of what people in all stages of WLS are eating.

"Oderint Dum Metuant"    Discover the joys of the Five Day Meat Test!

Height:  5'-7"  HW: 449  SW: 392  GW: 179  CW: 220

Gwen M.
on 3/25/15 4:27 am
VSG on 03/13/14

What, exactly, are you eating?  Please give us an example of a day of meals so we can troubleshoot.  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Firstlady06
on 3/25/15 8:03 am

First of all thank you for replying.. 

Breakfast 2 scrambled eggs with 1 piece of turkey sausage, or 2 slices turkey bacon (2% cheese on eggs sprinkle maybe)

Lunch: Lean meat  4-5 oz. & veggies ****asional baked, or creamed potato's) but unable to eat the whole thing... fill up on protein first..

Dinner: lean protein 4-5 oz.. veggies...

2 snacks per day : Cheese stick 2%, or Turkey Sausage bites, lunch meat with cheese, or cottage cheese

Beverages:Water with fresh lemon and liquid Stevia (lemonade)

decaff coffee with honey (1 per day) 

If we eat out I still do the same thing pretty much.. I dont eat bread, pasta, rice... I ocassionally will eat a baked potato, or creamed potato but dont eat the whole thing???

I have stopped eating my 2nd snack after 8 pm each night..

I am able to eat a whole baked chicken breast now?  5-6 oz meat I can eat at a time... then I cant finish my veggies.. I really try to watch my portion sizes...

Any help would be greatly appreciated...

What am I doing wrong???

Gwen M.
on 3/25/15 10:49 am
VSG on 03/13/14

Well, it seems like you're eating a lot of food in general.  Three "large" meals plus snacks is a lot of volume.  You're also adding pure sugar to your coffee - I'd skip that.  Honey isn't useful for your life.  Just because you -can- eat 5-6 ounces of lean meat doesn't mean that you should.  If I eat 4 ounces of meat, I can't eat anything else.  So I don't.

How much liquid are you getting every day?  

I would recommend that you start tracking everything you put into your mouth using something like MyFitnessPal.  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

ald731
on 3/26/15 1:04 am
VSG on 04/07/14

I agree with the others, that seems like a good bit of food. Are you feeling hungry a lot or just eating out of habit?  If it's hunger, are you taking a medicine for acid reflux? Acid can feel like hunger.

2nd thing - cut out the potatoes entirely, at least for now. Those have just as much impact on your blood sugar as the pasta/bread/etc. I just looked it up on MFP, and 1/2 of a medium russet potato has roughly 32g of carbs - that's a lot! Things like sausage and low fat dairy can also have a relatively high carb count as well, so you are probably getting more carbs than you realize. And honey is no better for you than regular sugar when it comes to regulating your blood sugar. That's the name of the game with this way of eating - minimizing blood glucose/insulin spikes.

My advice would be to start with 3 meals a day of 3-4oz protein and enough non-starchy vegetables for satiety. Do you eat the protein before anything else? This is the best way to take advantage of your sleeve anatomy - it closes the pyloric valve and helps maximize your restriction (search for Frisco's "pyloric valve 101" post if you want more information about this).  It seems like you would have to have a pretty large stomach to eat 5-6 oz of dense protein and still have room for anything else at this point. Weigh and measure everything and tracking in MFP is good to get a handle on what you're really consuming in a day.

Good luck! You can totally get back on track!

April:  HW- 323, SW-310, CW-159 (as of 9/25/15), Goal- 140; Pre-op (-13), M1 (-17), M2 (-16), M3 (-14), M4 (-13), M5 (-12), M6 (-8), M7 (-12), M8 (-8), M9 (-8), M10 (-5), M11 (-7), M12 (-5), M13 (-7), M14 (-0), M15 (-1), M16 (-5), M17 (-5)

Firstlady06
on 3/26/15 8:00 am

Thank you so much.. I started tracking yesterday and was amazed at how the calories add up.. I am one that has hated counting calories through the years.. (and look where that got me)... so now I am back to it again.. thanks to encouragement for everyone...

I really thought in my mind I was still eating the same amount of food that I did in the beginning, but now I know I was wrong...

I am probably having head hunger more than anything.. I am not taking any acid reflux meds.

I will loose the Honey in my Decaff coffee...thank you...

I always start with my protein and eat first then off to my veggies..  I dont eat bread, rice, or pasta anymore.. use to be a real

carb-a-holic... 

Also I use Liquid Stevia in my lemon water to make lemonade.. could this be a problem also??

Thank you so much for the useful information...

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 3/26/15 1:42 am - OH

As others have already mentioned, that is way too much food and too many calories. You are eating more now that I do at almost 8 years post-op!  1700 calories will likely cause you to gain weight rather than lose, especially if your metabolism is shot from years of yo-yo dieting.  I have to stay under 1400 calories to maintain my weight.

Your food choices are pretty good (but if you are serious about losing an additional 100 pounds eliminate those potatoes entirely!)  but your portions are simply too big.  Using the items you posted, for example, MY version of it would be:

- one scrambled egg and one or two pieces of bacon

- just 3-4 ounces of protein (e.g., when we go out for a nice dinner and I get a 9 ounce filet mignon, that is THREE meals for me, even with only a few bites of veggies.

- half of an average size chicken breast plus (literally) a couple of bites of veggies

Just because you CAN eat an entire chicken breast doesn't mean that you SHOULD!  You shouldn't eat until you are stuffed... You should eat until you are no longer hungry OR have gotten in enough protein, whichever comes first.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Most Active