Exercise is a Four Letter Word

Chilipepper
on 4/1/15 10:49 am
On April 1, 2015 at 9:17 AM Pacific Time, tstowe wrote:
On April 1, 2015 at 7:48 AM Pacific Time, Gwen M. wrote:

When I started running I also hated it. I did it just because I knew it was good for me. Now I love it. 

Give it a month. If you don't enjoy it by then, find an exercise you do enjoy. There are way more options than just running after all!  And you'll have an easier time sustaining an exercise habit you enjoy than one you loathe. Sustainability is what it's all about. 

I don't need a month. I know. I hate it. I ran in high school because I played football and wrestled. We ran every practice. Football, sprints. Wrestling, distance. I hated both.

I could run for miles... just didn't like it.

Once, when I was a senior, a coach threatened me with running. We were playing this team with a huge lineman (He went on to be the center for the University of Georgia). My coach told me if he blocked me again I'd be running on Monday. I knocked the guy on his butt and sacked the quarterback.

I don't like to run. But I need to do it.

Look, if you don't like it, no one is forcing you to do it.  Skip it. Don't dredge up those old memories of being thin and healthy in high school when you where active. Just remember crying that you didn't like to run. You are an adult. You know what was going to be needed post op.  Also, if you are doing this just to break a stall you are setting yourself up for a fail.  

I say screw it. 

"The first thing I do in the morning is brush my teeth and sharpen my tongue." --- Dorothy Parker  

"You may not like what I say or how I say it, but it may be just exactly what you need to hear." ---Kathryn White

T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 4/1/15 9:29 am - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14 with

Why run if you hate it so much? Why not do something else that you like? Exercise takes many forms, there's got to be something out there you'd like. If you're exercising to break a stall you might be disappointed, if you're exercising cuz it's good for your body, you might be pleasantly surprised. Hope you find something you like, cuz running sounds like a punishment to you accd to your posts.

No one surgery is better than the other, what works for one may not work for another. T-Rebel

https://fivedaymeattest.com/

GeekMonster, Insolent Hag
on 4/1/15 10:19 am - CA
VSG on 12/19/13

Have you considered alternative forms of exercise since you hate running so intensely?   The advice given by my surgeon's office and his RD is to find some form of activity that you enjoy.  If you hate something, you will not do it on a regular basis.  You will create negative associations and are more unlikely to follow through.

The point, at least in my mind, of having WLS is to change my lifestyle.  Regular physical activity is not going to significantly impact your weight loss, but it's the way to maintain your weight loss.

Incorporating exercise back into your life is to strengthen your heart and muscles.  What about bicycling?  Many people on OH have found to be a rewarding and enjoyable form of exercise?  How about swimming?  

"Oderint Dum Metuant"    Discover the joys of the Five Day Meat Test!

Height:  5'-7"  HW: 449  SW: 392  GW: 179  CW: 220

Oxford Comma Hag
on 4/1/15 11:26 am
I forgot as much of high school as soon as I could. Besides, I like Aqua Net back then, so my tastes maybe weren't the most refined. Find something else. Life is too short to spend doing **** you hate.

I fight badgers with spoons.

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 800-273-8255

Suicidepreventionlifeline.org

GeekMonster, Insolent Hag
on 4/2/15 5:05 am - CA
VSG on 12/19/13
On April 1, 2015 at 6:26 PM Pacific Time, Oxford Comma Kate, Bibliophile wrote:
I forgot as much of high school as soon as I could. Besides, I like Aqua Net back then, so my tastes maybe weren't the most refined. Find something else. Life is too short to spend doing **** you hate.

I love that line...

Life is too short to spend TIME doing **** you hate.

There must be something in the air.  We're dropping words like flies  

"Oderint Dum Metuant"    Discover the joys of the Five Day Meat Test!

Height:  5'-7"  HW: 449  SW: 392  GW: 179  CW: 220

Oxford Comma Hag
on 4/2/15 6:20 am

Erm, Freudian slip?

I fight badgers with spoons.

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 800-273-8255

Suicidepreventionlifeline.org

Mary Gee
on 4/1/15 12:12 pm - AZ
VSG on 05/14/14

There's no way in hell I would ever consider running.  I used to enjoy riding a bike, but don't feel safe right now riding where I live -- BUT, I just ordered a recumbent bike, which arrived this afternoon  I'll assemble it tomorrow and start riding it right away.

HW: 380 SW: 324 GW: 175  

Grim_Traveller
on 4/1/15 12:43 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

I love my recumbent bike. I use it a lot.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Laura in Texas
on 4/1/15 12:12 pm

What are you eating? You need to focus on your food choices. It is much more important than exercise.

As the saying goes, "You can't out-exercise a bad diet."

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

MegZorar
on 4/1/15 12:52 pm

How about a bike? I see others suggested a recumbent bike, but I thought of riding outside when I read your post. A nice scenic ride. Cool breeze. You with your thoughts and your music. Good stuff.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 137 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 402 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 430 views