I'm losing weight from my sleeve, but am very unhappy.

Lovesweets1960
on 7/5/15 5:32 pm

I had my surgery on April 25.  I always have a terrible taste in my mouth.  Nothing tastes good.  I just don't want to eat anything.  All my life I only ate what I craved.  Now I crave nothing.  And if I do eat something it just doesn't taste good.  I spent all my life letting food make me happy.  I don't have that anymore and am miserable :(    Will this go away?

(deactivated member)
on 7/5/15 5:58 pm

The taste you are constantly tasting is most likely due to ketosis. Drinking lots and lots of water, brushing your teeth a few times during the day (morning, afternoon and evening worked for me), and breath strips all seem to help.

As far as the food making you happy part, only you will be able to answer that. I very much enjoy food. I found early out that food had to be of good quality and have great taste to allow me to feel satisfied - both physically and EMOTIONALLY, which is what you're talking about. During WL I found a few items that I really liked eating. Those became my go to foods.

Most of the time though, food was strictly utilitarian. I needed to eat so I fed myself. There was no emotion connected with the food or eating. I knew I had to eat and get sufficient protein in to sustain me. So for me, during the day I ate because that is what I needed to do. For dinner I always made something flavorful and enjoyable to eat and I still do. Breakfast and lunch and my afternoon meal are all about feeding the beast. Dinner is set aside for the Foodie in me.

Find other ways to feel happy during the day. You might need help to do this. Maybe try a support group, get a therapist, a WLS buddy, or something/someone to help keep you motivated and accountable and help you learn how to release the emotional aspect of your eating. There is no reason that you won't enjoy food once again in the future.

I do remember at 8-10 weeks out I wasn't enjoying food very much either. I actually went back to liquids and soft foods for a few days just to take a break from eating. Eating had become stressful, so I needed to stop for a few days. I think what you're going through is a normal part of the wls journey for many people.

Hang in there!

Lovesweets1960
on 7/5/15 7:42 pm

Thank you.  You give me hope that this won't be forever.  I literally feel nauseous when I have to chew my food to a pulp.  But if I don't, I  get the worst pain I  have  ever felt.  Then don't feel better until I throw up.

(deactivated member)
on 7/5/15 8:41 pm

OMG! I had totally forgotten about that horrible icky feeling when I had to chew until my food was liquid. I didn't feel nauseous (but I have the Sleeve of Steel!), but couldn't stand the taste and texture. That's one of the reasons I went back to liquids and soft solids like yogurt for a few days.

This phase you're going through should be past within the next month. If it's not, contact your surgeon to find out what's up. I promise you it does get better. Be gentle with yourself until then. don't force anything and don't feel bad if you want to go backwards for a few days. Lots of us do.

LookingForOnederlan
d

on 7/6/15 11:02 am - Shelbyville, TN

kairk, this is a great response. I also accidentally "report" buttoned it, meaning to "like"...I hope it didn't go thru.Sorry.

Sleeved on 6/19/2014  Hw 277  Sw 254   Cw  142  Gw 135

M1 -20  M2 -10  M3 -11  M4 -11  M5 -11  M6 -8  M7 -8  M8 -8  M9 -1  M10 -8  M11 -4  M12 -2  M13-18-5

ONEderland 10/15/2014

poplargreys
on 7/5/15 6:00 pm
VSG on 03/31/15

I'm a month ahead of you, and often have a bad taste in my mouth, strongest in the morning when I first wake up. This can be a side-effect of ketosis. I don't have any hunger - physical OR cravings, thankfully - and consider this a blessing! I am glad to not have that little cravings imp sitting on my shoulder all the time whispering things into my head, it has been very freeing for me to not have my mind and life revolve around my next meal. Are you working with a support group or private therapist to help you learn new coping mechanisms that don't include using food? 

Lovesweets1960
on 7/6/15 11:24 am

I'm thinking I will need to see a therapist.  I've got over 45 years of food being my happiness to undo :(

Dan1962
on 7/5/15 6:00 pm - Syracuse, NY
VSG on 09/23/14

A major factor in making this successful is the mental aspect...understanding why you eat.  It sounds like you have something of a handle on that.  I would suggest you find a support group or if you can afford it, counseling.  The mental challenges are greater than the physical ones.  You need to find pleasure elsewhere, accomplishments that were physical for me did the trick.  Its still a process but very much worth it.  Good luck!

Gwen M.
on 7/5/15 6:00 pm
VSG on 03/13/14

It will probably go away.  But it might take time.  Are you seeing a therapist to help figure out new ways to be happy and different ways to enjoy life?  I highly recommend that you see one if you're not.  Mine has been invaluable to me.  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

mickeymantle
on 7/5/15 10:33 pm - Eugene/Springfield, OR
VSG on 07/22/13

the bad taste probably will go away , but tastes change after the surgery

you might want to see a therapist that specializes in eating disorders you will not succeed  if you eat only food you crave because it will probably come back    , you need to work on the reasons for the craving

175 lb  lost,412 hw 336sw,241 cw surgery July 22 2013,surgeon Dr Colin MacColl,

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 168 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 446 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 466 views