ANXIOUS and desperate for advice ... I'm pre-op with concerns

Joan24
on 11/20/15 8:36 am

Thank you !

(deactivated member)
on 11/19/15 1:35 pm

Others have said what should be said about eating and drinking. I'd just like to say imagine how it will be to have lost weight and need new clothes by the time you go on your cruise! That will feel better than any cruise food! Good luck with making your choice and feeling you have made the right one.

Joan24
on 11/19/15 1:42 pm

So true, thank you so much for replying!

DeeNY52
on 11/19/15 3:33 pm

My advice, have the surgery, go on the trip!  By then you will be 4 months post-op and able to eat more, plus you'll be less heavy and feeling better. 

My hair started thinning a bit at 5 months but for only a few months and it was not at all noticeable, and I don't have thick hair.

Do both the surgery and the trip for yourself.  Your new, lighter, healthier self!

good luck!

Joan24
on 11/19/15 5:05 pm

Thank you so much !

sheila0
on 11/19/15 3:53 pm - Magnolia, TX
I am only in 2nd week after surgery, but I am so glad I did it and not put it off for Thanksgiving, Christmas etc.  Losing the weight is so much more important then eating or drinking anything.  Just think how great you will look in four months with out the extra LBS.  I have lost 14 lbs since 11.10.15 my surgery date and feel so much better just being 14 lbs lighter.  I too thought should I or should I not and worried about hair loss, I have very thin hair now and concern it will really be thin...but everyone says it grows back and getting out of the fat suits is what I want more then anything!     Good Luck and enjoy the new you.      Sheila  

Sheila

Age: 57 | Height: 5'6| Surgery Date: 11/10/15 | Starting Weight: 277 | Surgery Weight: 272 | Goal Weight:162 | Current Weight: 258 | WL so far: 14 lbs

(deactivated member)
on 11/19/15 4:19 pm

First, the hair loss is temporary, IF YOU HAVE HAIR LOSS AT ALL. I had no hair loss at all and since I'm a man with a receding hairline and thinning hair that was pretty damn awesome. You just don't know how your body will react. My surgeon believes that a healthy, protein heavy pre op lifestyle will help your body deal with the stress of surgery and lessen hair loss. I followed his advice.

There are three main triggers to most hair loss: surgery, drastic reduction in required nutrients for body function and stress. I could do nothing about the surgery, but I could certainly deal with my stress level before and after surgery and I could make sure that I got plenty of protein and the necessary fats in my diet along with plenty of water. I kept my body "fed" with what it needed. That's the best anyone can do. After that, it's simply a matter of rolling the dice. 

The cruise is a no brainer! GO!!!!! Have your surgery, lose weight, feel awesome and sexy in your new clothes and smaller body. Just because there is a buffet and a banquet every night doesn't mean you have to eat all the crap they put out. Besides, you won't be able to eat much at all. Don't go into it thinking you'll be perfect and eat only things that promote weight loss. This is life. If there is something you want on that cruise and it's one of those things that you won't likely get the chance to taste again until heaven knows when, sure have a bite or two, but then be done and go back to your regular plan. (I'm not talking donuts here. I'm talking Baked Alaska, Beluga caviar, Tueffer, Scharffen Berger, or Valhrona chocolates  - really special things.)

One of the best things about VSG is it gives you back the ability to live your life the way that you want to. In 4 months you will feel so much better and lighter (not just physically either) that your cruise will be a wonderful celebration of just how far you've come! 

Joan24
on 11/19/15 5:19 pm

I'm so happy I posted my concerns, I really can't tell you how appreciative I am for this support!  such positivity and great suggestions. Thank you so much for taking the time to reply !

happyteacher
on 11/19/15 5:27 pm

Don't blink an eye. Get the surgury and go on the cruise. Yes, there will be a lot of food on the cruise, but that also means a ton of awesome choices. You (by then) will be very used to picking out the lean proteins and green leafy veggies and sticking to that, feeling very satisfied, and those meals can still be very decadent without obliterating your plan. You can drink at 4 months technically, just know it hits the blood stream a lot faster and is a load of empty calories. Alcoholism is not anything to sneeze at as post op patients, as it is well documented that some of us have transfer addictions post op and alcohol being a big one. IMHO there is no need to drink, as there will be many other great choices that keep you on plan while you are having a great time! Some of us lose hair, sure... but it is not typical to read on the boards here that you lose so much you need a wig. I lost a little, but the only big difference is the somewhat thinner hair was then curly. No where near needing a wig. It actually turned out to be kinda fun sporting curls there for a while and I miss them now!

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

Joan24
on 11/20/15 8:40 am

I would welcome curls!  Hahaha, thanks!

Most Active
Pain
michele1 · 0 replies · 17 views
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 0 replies · 17 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 191 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op