ANXIOUS and desperate for advice ... I'm pre-op with concerns

Joan24
on 11/19/15 12:58 pm

Hi Everyone!

I am pre-op with surgery scheduled for Dec. 14th BUT having reservations and considering postponing.  I don't know if I'm second guessing myself but was hoping all of you could set me straight. 

my dilemma, I was given a gift of a 7-day cruise to Bermuda in April 2016; which puts me at 4 months post-op.  I am concerned about how to handle this as I've never been on a cruise before and wonder how will I manage my food, as I've heard cruises are a "food fest".   What will I be able to eat at 4 months?   I'm not a big drinker but while on vacation I would like to have a drink or two, I wonder if this is possible ?  so many questions about the reality of taking such a trip.   PLEASE any advice??

I've also heard negative stories about hair loss; I was in the waiting room at the docs office just chatting with another patient... she began to tell me about another patient she met who had to get a wig... she lost sooo much hair!  I just don't know what to do?

Can anyone relate or has experienced similar concerns?

Thanks so much!!!

Heather L.
on 11/19/15 1:10 pm - Coquitlam, Canada
VSG on 03/26/15

At four months, you'll be able to eat most things.  You'll just have to prioritize protein and soft-cooked vegetables over the gooey, cheesy, greasy goodies I'm sure will be on offer.   You won't be able to each much at any one time, so quality is key.  As to drinking, my program recommends not drinking for one year post-op; yours may be different, so plan accordingly. 

I'm almost eight months out and most of my hairloss was was between 4-7 months. It never got bad enough that anyone else but I noticed.  Ultimately, I'd happily wear a wig to have these 100+ pounds off my body.  

Concerns are normal. This is a huge undertaking, but you have to think about WHY you're doing it in the first place.  

VSG Mar 26, 2015 Dr. Sharadh Sampath -- 5'3" -- 47YO -- HW: 294 - SW: 261 - CW: 192 - GW: 175
Bi-lateral Brachioplasty May 8, 2017 Dr. Owen Reid
Lower Body Lift Oct 2, 2017 Dr. Owen Reid

"Weight is lost in kitchens, health is gained in gyms." - Dr. Yoni Freedhoff

heatherisshrinking.tumblr.com

Joan24
on 11/19/15 1:14 pm

Thanks for your reply Heather!  Is your hair coming back at this point?

Heather L.
on 11/19/15 2:44 pm - Coquitlam, Canada
VSG on 03/26/15

I do have a lot of new growth, but I also cut it into a chin-length bob so as to disguise the lack of thickness, so it's a little hard to tell for sure.  But, as I said, I'm the only one who ever noticed and I got used to it.  

VSG Mar 26, 2015 Dr. Sharadh Sampath -- 5'3" -- 47YO -- HW: 294 - SW: 261 - CW: 192 - GW: 175
Bi-lateral Brachioplasty May 8, 2017 Dr. Owen Reid
Lower Body Lift Oct 2, 2017 Dr. Owen Reid

"Weight is lost in kitchens, health is gained in gyms." - Dr. Yoni Freedhoff

heatherisshrinking.tumblr.com

Joan24
on 11/19/15 3:00 pm

thanks again Heather! 

alouisa63
on 11/19/15 1:12 pm - Farmington Hills, MI
VSG on 07/30/15

if it were me, I wouldn't postpone.  In fact, I didn't.  I had surgery schedule then a few really big events came up right after.  my family wanted me to postpone but I told them I would have to learn to deal with it at some point, I'm not postponing for an "event".  So have the surgery and go on the trip because at some point you'll have to make the choice that life doesn't evolve around food anymore. You have to learn to adapt.  There are so many other things on a cruise besides food!  I'm 3.5 months out and I'm pretty sure I would have no problem finding dense proteins to eat while on the ship :)

As for hair loss - it's going to happen but it grows back.  I would rather lose some hair that I know will come back then stay fat. 

Good luck!

Starting Weight 375  SW 375 Height 5'9" 

Joan24
on 11/19/15 1:20 pm

So true!  How are you feeling 3.5 months out?  Do you think you could take a vacation and feel physically able to walk, jet ski and really enjoy yourself?  Not that food is the main stay, but having a vacation so soon after a surgery might limit your physical ability ?  Just wondering what I can expect at 4 months.  What type of foods are you eating now?

thanks so much!

Neesie57
on 11/19/15 5:36 pm
VSG on 08/04/15

I'm 3 ½ months out right now and am on vacation in Hawaii!  I feel fantastic!  I have walked at least 12,000 steps every day this week and have been taking an aquatics aerobics class ever day since we go here.  I've lost 65 pounds total, 35 since surgery.  My son and DIL are with us, they have never seen me this thin or this active.

As for food: I'm eating so much pineapple that my tongue hurts?, but otherwise I just eat like I do at home.  Protein first, then veggies, then fruit.  We have a kitchen here, so are cooking most nights.  When we do go out I share a meal with my husband.  It's been easier than I thought it would be.

We, as WLS survivors, need to realize that vacation isn't all about food.  It's about sharing time with friends or loved ones and seeing the sites.  Our memories will be of the things we did, not the food we ate. I would be so upset to have a big gain when I get back home.  

Please don't let a cruise stop you from starting your new life ASAP.  If you use this trip to postpone your surgery, something else may come along that makes you want to postpone it again.  Life is full of reasons to delay, but your health should trump them all.

5' 5" tall. VSG on August 4, 2015/ Starting weight 239.9/ Surgery weight 210.9/ Current weight 137.4/ Goal weight 140/ No longer overweight, now a NORMAL weight. Now that I'm at goal, it's time to move on to maintenance!!!!!!!!

Joan24
on 11/19/15 8:19 pm

So good to hear you're success after 3.5 months!  Very encouraging !  Thanks so much and enjoy your vacation! 

alouisa63
on 11/20/15 6:08 am - Farmington Hills, MI
VSG on 07/30/15

I feel great and have so much more energy.  I would go on a cruise in a heart beat!  Have the surgery... you'll be fine :)

Starting Weight 375  SW 375 Height 5'9" 

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 65 views