Having a hard time with protein

BREE_
on 3/27/16 1:29 pm
VSG on 03/21/16

happy Easter everything one!

its my 7th day out of surgery and honestly I have hardy put any protein in my body I went to the vitamin shoppe and got the little samples packets to see which one I can hold down but none of them are working  I'm having a really hard time it's there another way I can take protein in?? Any advice and help will be highly appreciated ! 

kyzze
on 3/27/16 2:08 pm
VSG on 12/29/15 with

You don't have to do protein shakes right now, what about broth have you tried that? Don't stress too much about it right now it is only the 7th day, just do the best you can even if it's only a few sips of something, it will get better.

Kyzze

lxl_Miz_lxl
on 3/27/16 3:22 pm
VSG on 01/11/16

My first week post op I was on clear liquids and getting protein in wasn't a concern.. getting fluids in was, try warm tea and broths if you can't tolerate water.. sip sip sip all day long, make sure you are getting your liquids.  

After 10 days I went to full liquids..I used unjury chicken broth and unjury chocolate splendor mixed with premier vanilla (I split it into two 5 ounces shakes)  my center wasn't too concerned with how much protein I was getting in the first few weeks.. they wanted fluids to be my priority.. if I got protein in they considered it a bonus.

I still have issues drinking enough cold beverages to get my required water intake.. I drink mostly hot tea, decaf coffee and broths

Good Luck!  

SSwan_TO
on 3/27/16 3:49 pm

I found a drink called Protein2o, which is a protein water rather than a protein drink.  Claims to have only 80 calories. What is the difficulty you are having with the protein shakes?  I hate vanilla and chocolate, so have to look for other flavors that are hard to come by. I also make smoothies (then put through strainer.  - have been using greek yogurt, liquid egg whites, and drinkable yogurt (flavour with something palatable like strawberry).

Dsmgold
on 3/28/16 9:29 am
VSG on 03/01/16

Protein2o is Great!

A local store is going out of business on them and they are selling 10 for $10 bucks.  Needless to say, I bought about 50 of them.  I can't stand the grape flavor though.

HW: 323   SW 308   CW 249.2   Goal Weight 200. 

My surgery was on 03.01.2016 with surgeon Mark Smilik, M.D. in West Des Moines, Iowa

Luvmygs
on 3/28/16 9:46 am
VSG on 12/04/14

You don't have to worry about protein right now, water is more important. As you start to heal, you'll be able to down protein. It probably took me about 2 weeks to even start getting any protein down. Then it took me almost all day to finish 8 oz of my protein shake. Make sure are sipping water. I lived off sugar free popsicles, my favorite Progresso soup that was strained and I only drank the broth and lots of water for about 1-2 weeks. It will get better. Good luck. Christine

Most Active
Pain
michele1 · 0 replies · 4 views
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 0 replies · 4 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 190 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 277 views