3 wks out-can't get the protein down

Bufflehead
on 5/6/16 4:45 am - TN
VSG on 06/19/13

Unjury Chicken Soup protein powder was a lifesaver for me early on. Another thing I did was mix unflavored protein powder into beef broth and add steak seasoning to help cover up the whey taste. The thing to keep in mind with adding whey protein powder (including Unjury chicken soup) to anything hot is that you need to use a food thermometer and keep the temperature under 140F (130F is better) otherwise the protein will denature and clump, which is totally disgusting.

Allie16
on 5/6/16 4:59 am
VSG on 04/14/16

Love the steak seasoning idea, I'll try that. Thanks!

hollykim
on 5/6/16 8:39 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On May 6, 2016 at 2:08 AM Pacific Time, Allie16 wrote:

Hi,

Looking for some advice...since my surgery it seems my tastes have changed drastically and I cannot choke down anything sweet. Hence having a really hard time getting in the protein. I feel exhausted all the time and have no energy. I have a call into my nutritionist but honestly not expecting a lot of help. (different story****ep trying to just suck it up and drink but its just not happening. Never would have guessed this would be my problem. I did just get some unflavored powder but not quite sure what to do with it. I tried adding to milk, couldn't get past the smell. Am able to get some mixed into soup. Has this happened to anyone else? Any ideas? Down 21 lbs since surgery, so happy about that but getting concerned about my energy level and feel like its due to lack of nutrition. Thanks in advance.

you don't have to worry about nutrition now. Your body is breaking down your stored fat for nutrition. Focus on liquids and eating what you can and soon you will be able to do more. 

You arebtired because you just had surgery, not because of no nutrition

Allie16
on 5/6/16 4:13 pm
VSG on 04/14/16

Thanks, that makes me feel better. I have to remind myself I'm not 30 any more and I did just have major surgery.

Sammy2929
on 5/6/16 12:34 pm
VSG on 05/02/16

Funny how tastes change practically overnight.  I have only been home 2 days but have no problem getting in 90g of protein.  Premier Protein bananas a cream is saving me right now. I schedule them at 8, 12 and 5 so that I know I must get threw because the next one will be coming up on me if I don't.   This is a big change for me as I could not get anything other than a couple tablespoons of water down in the hospital.  I have tried the unjury chicken broth.........gross in my opinion.  I will hold out hope though and try again in a few days.  I've had a cup of decaf the past two mornings, along with 50-60 oz of water so I am right on track.  Praying for you all to be the same soon  : )

Lynn D

Age:52, Height 5'4", HW 299, SW 282.6, Current weight as of 02/22/17 159 lbs.

M1 30, M2 25, M3 30,  M4-9 M5 ? M-6,7,8 25lbs, M 9 1/2 ?

diane S.
on 5/7/16 12:41 pm

keep your shakes super cold and only pour out two ounces at a time.  add unsweetened coco powder to choc shakes to make them more bitter. add a blob of gy to other shakes to make them more tart.  Or that tangy drink called Keffir.   Might try egg white or soy based protein drinks. sometimes i added unflavored soy protein powder to tomato soup and it wasn't too bad.   I used to put cinnamon on the edge of my drinking glass so I couldn't smell the stuff. some brands don't have that barfy smell.   gl.   diane s

p.s. work on fluids of any sort whether its water, tea or broth.

Join US On The VSG Maintenance Group Forum!! 
                  http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

cappy11448
on 5/12/16 12:03 pm

I had a similar situation.  I bought all these samples of protein drinks pre-surgery and after surgery I couldn't tolerate anything sweet - not even my chewable vitamins.  I resorted to chicken broth with unflavored protein powder.  i'd mix unflavored protein powder into anything I could stir -  yogurt, cottage cheese, creamed soups, chicken broth, sugar-free jello, sugar-free, fat-free puddings, ricotta cheese, etc. 

Its important to get your protein in because its needed for healing.  But you can do it. 

best wishes,

Carol

Surgery May 1, 2013. Starting Weight 385,  Surgery Weight 333,  Current Weight 160.  At GOAL!

Weight loss Pre-op 1-20 2-17 3-15 Post-op 1-20 2-18 3-15 4-14 5-16 6-11 7-12  8-8

9-11 10-7 11-7 12-7 13-8 14-6 15-3 16-7 17-3  18-3

Most Active
Pain
michele1 · 0 replies · 5 views
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 0 replies · 5 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 190 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 277 views