Rebounding from Regain 101

Liz WantsHealthForAll
on 9/22/16 3:20 am - Cape Cod, MA
VSG on 03/28/16

I am just at the maintenance point - this is great information and very thought-provoking.  How do I "bookmark" this?

Liz 5'3" HW: 219 SW: 185 GW: 125 LW: 113 Desired maintenance range: 120-123 CW: 120 (after losing 20 lb. regain)!

zann50
on 9/22/16 3:29 am

This indeed is a great post.  I will read it frequently!  I am approaching my second year and finally have lost 150lbs.  I seem to run a slow marathon LOL.  But, I agree totally with the protein/fats/low carb as a way of life.  It is the only plan that is satisfying for me.

Thank you again:):)

H.A.L.A B.
on 9/22/16 4:10 am

Very nice .. 

As someone *****gained 25 lbs then lost it - the relosing was veeerrry ....sloooow... It took forever... .and the last 10 lbs - it took me close to a year to lose and maintain. 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

(deactivated member)
on 9/22/16 6:20 pm

Thanks. You've been there, too, so your compliment carries a lot of value! As your example shows, regain is not indicative of failure, but rather that there is merely more work to be done! Your ability to be open about regain is commendable and inspiring. thanks! 

Steph Meat Hag
on 9/22/16 6:01 am - Dallas , TX
VSG on 03/14/16 with

Great post.  I second all the things you've listed here.  I had 1 WLS and regained it all.  I learned a lot from it, and the primary thing I took away from it was I had to list out my trigger foods and just stop eating them.  I decided to not eat them, nothing like them, no substitutions, because a cookie is a cookie to my brain.  If it's sugar free it's still a cookie, if it's made out of oatmeal and "good for you" things it's still a cookie.  Once I have one, I want more.  Once I have one trigger food it'd start a landslide from one to another.  

I'm doing well with where I am after a revision earlier this year.  I do think anyone can stay the course but it's a bumpy one with a lot of things to navigate.  Being able to eliminate distractions has been key to my success this time around.  

Age:40|Height: 5'9"|Lap Band 2/11/08 |Revision VSG 3/14/16

The cake is a lie, but Starbucks is not.

https://fivedaymeattest.com

heather1963
on 9/22/16 6:15 am

Thank you for that! That is exactly where I am and I have been totally lost. This is exactly what I needed. 

mmsmom
on 9/22/16 6:17 am - Woburn, MA

In 2+ years since surgery I also have come to terms with the fact that my weight will fluctuate - and I'm ok with that.  However, I am so much more comfortable at the low end of my range than the high and I refuse to not wear my adorable winter clothes that do no fit at the high end of the range.  Thanks for the post - i need to loose my 4-6 lbs now rather than later and before it creeps up to more.

LOVE this  board and it's members.

VSG on 04/28/2014

Lodie
on 9/22/16 6:41 am
VSG on 10/15/14

Kairk, I read your posts on the maintenance group almost daily as my DH is a member there.  I have found them very helpful. Your willingness to think deeper than the surface issue to our eating is insightful.  I connect to so many of your types of food and times of day that you struggle with. Some days I tell DH that what you just posted could easily have been me, but I would not have worded it as well. Thanks for taking the time and sharing your struggles and growth.

HW=263  SW=253 CW=160 GW=140

iloveravens
on 9/22/16 8:07 am
RNY on 08/13/14

This post is fantastic!  I wish we could pin it somewhere.  

Lanie; Age: 43; Surgery Date (VSG): 8/12/14 w/complications resulting in RNY next day;

Height: 5' 6" SW: 249 Comfort Zone: 135-140 CW: 138 (10/13/17)

M1: -25 lbs M2: -12 M3: -13 M4: -7 M5: -11 M6: -10 M7: -7 M8: -7 M9: -3 M10: -8 M11: -4 M12: -4

5K PR - 24:15 (4/23/16) First 10K - 53:30 (10/18/15)

Donna L.
on 9/22/16 2:28 pm - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

This is #1 spot on.  Thank you so much for a timely post.  I haven't had regain, but it's fantastic advice for stalls too.  Or "stalls" as the case may be...

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life