Feeling like a failure

Stacy_WLS
on 2/23/17 6:48 am

I might be taking this too far, but here are my two cents:

Hungry all the time -- I can relate to this.  I've struggled with this feeling too.  Sometimes it is that I'm not eating properly and sometimes it is an emotional thing.  When something is wrong my body wants to turn to food.  

Hunger vs Head / Emotional hunger are so different.  For me, no amount of food will satisfy Head / emotional hunger.  The only thing that helps that is figuring out what is wrong -- getting to the root of it.

Actual hunger is much much easier to solve.  Eat dense protein and veggies.  These will fill you up legitamately without a lot of calories.  I eat 5 - 6 times a day and can still keep calories low.  3 oz of chicken breast with a VSG will fill you up (phsyically not emotionally).  Then add .5 cup to 1 cup of veggies if you want.  This will be less than 200 calories if you don't add lots of fat to everything.  

For me - pancakes, egg, bacon, carbs, fried foods etc. do not fill me up.  Its not to say you can never have them, but if you are struggling with hunger I would stay away from them until you feel like you are back on track.  Some people need to stay away from carbs forever.  

Good Luck! 

VSG: 12/12/13, LBL, small TL, BL/BA: 11/7/14 Twins 12/9/18 HW after Twins 260. 5'10 37 years old - Stacy_WLS (MFP)

patchoulli
on 2/16/17 4:44 am - port charlotte, FL
On February 16, 2017 at 7:03 AM Pacific Time, ShadowWolf3 wrote:

My vsg was in 2015.  I only lost 153lbs.  Yes I know it's good but I've fallen off the wagon and back to bad eating habits.  I've gained 16lbs and scheduled for skin removal and breast reconstruction on May 4th.  I'm worried that they won't do it because of weight gain.

Jump back on!  I'll walk thru it with you!  16 lbs, you can do this!  Start now!

H.A.L.A B.
on 2/16/17 5:24 am

You still have the rest of February, March and April to lose the regain. It is doable. 

Protein forward meals, some fat and veggies. Stay away from grains and carby foods. No soda....

It can be done - how badly do you want it? 

Last year I had face lift - to maximize the amount of skin my PS could remove - I lost an additional 10 lbs before the surgery while loading on proteins. Not only that allowed my surgeon to remove a lot of skin - but the high protein diet really helped with post op healing. 

The less fat you have under the skin - the more they can remove it and you would end up with best possible results.  

I was 10 lbs below my goal for my lower body lift. 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

ShadowWolf3
on 2/16/17 6:37 pm - OH
VSG on 03/19/15

I do eat a lot of protein.  But carbs are my down fall.  Even if it is gluten free stuff it's still carbs.

The tragedy in life doesn't lie in not reaching your goal. The tragedy lies in having no goal to reach.- Benjamin Mays

HW:450, Consult W:371, SW:353

H.A.L.A B.
on 2/17/17 5:52 am

Then you know what you need to do. Stop eating carbs. 

If you have PS and regain - it would not be pretty. Trust me. I looked weird after I gained 20 lbs post plastics. 

Uneven lumps and bumps. Separated by horizontal line ....

If you can't stop regain - why having PS ? The recovery is painful. And can be long. 

Good luck. 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Rachel B.
on 2/16/17 10:25 am - Tucson, AZ
VSG on 08/11/08 with

No, no, no, no, no...  Back on board!  I gained back 97 pounds.  You're not a failure, because I'm not!  Get back to tracking your food, water and exercise.  Get back on here everyday and be accountable on the boards.  Be support, and be supported.  It works.  You can do this!

"...This one a long time have I watched. All his life has he looked away, to the future, to the horizon. Never his mind on where he was. What he was doing..."

Rachel, PMHNP-BC

HW-271 SW-260 LW(2009)-144 ~ Retread: HW-241 CW-190 GW-150

Readyjwc
on 2/16/17 5:26 pm
VSG on 01/05/17

You can get 16 lbs off by then! Hit it and hit it hard! You've come this far - you've got this!

-Jan

Height 5'4 Starting weight: 225 Surgery weight: 216 Goal Weight: 135 Surgery date: 1/23/17 Portsmouth, NH

The little engine that could.....

ShadowWolf3
on 2/16/17 6:30 pm - OH
VSG on 03/19/15

I've been walking the treadmill half hour a day.  My problem is I'm constantly eating.  I just don't get the full feeling.

The tragedy in life doesn't lie in not reaching your goal. The tragedy lies in having no goal to reach.- Benjamin Mays

HW:450, Consult W:371, SW:353

Rachel B.
on 2/16/17 7:29 pm - Tucson, AZ
VSG on 08/11/08 with

I would recommend dropping your carbs and going back to straight protein.  Carbs crave carbs, and they're sliders, so they NEVER SATISFY.

"...This one a long time have I watched. All his life has he looked away, to the future, to the horizon. Never his mind on where he was. What he was doing..."

Rachel, PMHNP-BC

HW-271 SW-260 LW(2009)-144 ~ Retread: HW-241 CW-190 GW-150

Laura in Texas
on 2/17/17 5:57 am

Dense protein may make you feel fuller. Not recognizing fullness is what led to our obesity. Change that pattern. You are 100% responsible for how much you eat. And remember hunger is not an emergency. 

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

Most Active
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 49 views
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 49 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 215 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op