Desperate for Desserts

Janet M.
on 2/20/17 7:33 pm

Help! I am looking for some sweet suggestions. My story is a bit long and complicated so long story short, had sx years ago, didn't fix my mind and let the sx do all the work, regained my weight, have been remotivated and absolutely KILLING IT these past two weeks. Here's my problem, I'm working on understanding my emotional eating and my addiction to sugar and am at a very precarious situation. Except for three pieces of chocolate over 2 days for V day, I have avoided all processed sugars and sweets (YAY).

I'm missing a little something sweet after dinner. In was thinking apples and peanut butter with a few chocolate chips, but I'm worried about having a bag of chocolate chips in the house, about having ANY chocolate in the house. I'm not strong enough to resist excess chocolate, haha! So what do you do when in the mood for a little something sweet?

Thanks!

(deactivated member)
on 2/20/17 8:25 pm
VSG on 12/28/16

Sugar free chocolate pudding topped with Cool Whip. Both are low cal/car and don't do much damage.  Take a Yoplait whipped yogurt and freeze it for a treat. Dannon greek toasted coconut vanilla yogurt and a couple of sliced strawberries.  None of these is like eating a solid piece of chocolate but they get me through my bad patches.  I wouldn't be able to kee chocolate in the house either. It would haunt me.

Janet M.
on 2/20/17 9:11 pm

Oh, freezing it would be a good idea! That way it would last much longer, too, haha!

MissNexxie
on 2/20/17 8:40 pm
VSG on 04/30/14

I drink Celestial Seasonings Bengal Spice Tea.  It's caffeine free and if you steep it for at least 5 mins it has a sweet tinge to its spiciness.

The other thing I will do is mix some plain greek yogurt with a tbsp of Torani SF syrup.  I've tried keeping SF puddings and whip toppings in the house but find once I get that sweet tweak I will keep eating them because "they're only 60 calories...".  My carb monster is strong even with sugar alcohols.

Another option is 2 oz of fresh berries, like strawberries or blueberries (lower in carbs/sugar than apples) mixed with a couple TBSP of greek yogurt (I like lemon or vanilla).  It's  very easy to over do it with items like peanut butter and chocolate chips in the house.  Since you're very re-committed and in the zone, don't temp yourself when you don't have to.

Surgery: April 30, 2014: HW: 288 SW: 250 Achieved Goal 149 lbs: April 8, 2015 CW: 158 lbs (working on losing 65 lb regain as of June 1, 2021. Weight was at 215 lbs). Fighting every darn day!

Grim_Traveller
on 2/20/17 8:50 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

As long as you have a little sweet stuff, you will crave more. And small servings will grow over time. 

Skip the apples, the peanut butter, and the chocolate chips. You'll just sabotage yourself. Go cold turkey. Literally. Stick to dense protein. It will keep you full longest, and you'll soon lose the cravings for sweets.

Addicts can't handle just a little of what they are addicted to.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

KittyKarin
on 2/21/17 6:24 am - FL
VSG on 01/09/13

I am not a big sweets person... I crave more salty stuff like chips and crackers. If I am craving something sweet, I have found this whipped peanut butter that I like and I will have a tablespoon of that.  Only 60 calories, I think.  I also do:  

• Sugar free jello with a small amount of whipped cream
  • Sparkling flavored water - Walmart sells some really yummy ones and that will satisfy me sometimes
  • Warm almond milk with sugar free syrup (my favorite is SF Torani strawberry syrup)
  • Part-skim ricotta or softened cream cheese mixed with either sweetner or SF syrup... kinda like a crustless cheesecake

Good job with getting back on track.  I know how tough it is to fix your mind and have to turn things around but SO worth it! :-) 

KittyKarin :-) Starting weight: 362 / Surgery weight: 353 / Current weight: 190 (03/27/2017)

Valerie G.
on 2/21/17 1:13 pm - Northwest Mountains, GA

Ricotta cheese can give you a protein boost as well as satisfy your craving.  I mix a little sweetener and vanilla and some nuts or chocolate chips.  You can also mix with SF instant pudding and just enough milk or cream to get your desired consistency.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

AggieMae
on 2/21/17 5:11 pm
VSG on 10/25/16

I have a small ice cream maker I found at Goodwill and make ice cream with coco powder and splenda.  I pack it into 10cc cups for the freezer and eat one (with a tiny spoon) every now and then.  

Rachel B.
on 2/21/17 5:37 pm - Tucson, AZ
VSG on 08/11/08 with

I gained most of my weight back as well.  I have no carbs in my house that I can easily access.  For sweet snacks, I have power crunch energy protein bars.  I would tend to have them close to bed time - that's my munchiest, sweet time.  They're 200/205 cals and have 13/14 grams protein.  They have great flavors.  You can get some at Trader Joes.  Vitacost has them all.

"...This one a long time have I watched. All his life has he looked away, to the future, to the horizon. Never his mind on where he was. What he was doing..."

Rachel, PMHNP-BC

HW-271 SW-260 LW(2009)-144 ~ Retread: HW-241 CW-190 GW-150

Liz WantsHealthForAll
on 2/22/17 3:00 am - Cape Cod, MA
VSG on 03/28/16

Quest protein bars: 170-190 calories with 20g of protein. 

Liz 5'3" HW: 219 SW: 185 GW: 125 LW: 113 Desired maintenance range: 120-123 CW: 120 (after losing 20 lb. regain)!

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 66 views