Pre-Op Trouble with Splenda

NoraM13
on 8/9/17 8:31 am
VSG on 08/21/17

I'm new here. I started my pre-op diet on Monday, and my surgery is scheduled for 8/21. After eating some sugar free water ice last night, I had some pretty bad stomach trouble. I had trouble with Splenda years ago, but forgot about it because I rarely use artificial sweeteners. I checked the water ice, and sure enough it had Splenda. Any recommendations for sugar free water ice without Splenda? My dietician also recommended Splenda flavors - are there any good substitutes for that?

Donna L.
on 8/9/17 11:38 am - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

You might have to make your own.

They make a bunch of Stevia brands you can find in the store. One's called Sweetleaf. Here's another one that seems popular. You can use it to make popsicles or slushies... you can also get Kool-Aid and mix it

I am, however, cheap, so I put 1 tsp of Swerve in every 16oz of water, and add tea or a True Lemon/True Orange/True Grapefruit packet. I don't like very sweet things as much since surgery, though.

You can get a cheap popsicle mold and make sugar free anything, basically, depending on what you want :)

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

H.A.L.A B.
on 8/10/17 5:08 am

The Stir brand is very weak IMO. I tried it and was really disappointed. I had to use a lot to taste anything. I also use the "True xxx" brand. Or real lemon. Or real fruits. Fruits infused water. After a few infusions - I eat the fruit. Mostly berries, but I really like the kiwi... Hate peeling it.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

GeekMonster, Insolent Hag
on 8/9/17 3:51 pm - CA
VSG on 12/19/13

Try Stevia. Avoid Truvia.

"Oderint Dum Metuant"    Discover the joys of the Five Day Meat Test!

Height:  5'-7"  HW: 449  SW: 392  GW: 179  CW: 220

Donna L.
on 8/11/17 6:10 am - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

I wish I had known that the first week post-op. Erythritol was not my friend...

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

H.A.L.A B.
on 8/10/17 4:57 am, edited 8/9/17 9:59 pm

Herbal tea can be nice. Plus - there are a lot of more natural drink mixers available. Check health food store - I found electrolytes dry mixes that little goes a long way.

For ready to drink - vitamin zero water - I made my own ice pops and even jello. Some still have aspartame - NutraSweet. But that thing gives me headache. So be careful with it.

I use diet tonic (, brand name - has saccharine as sweetener) and use maybe 2-3 oz in 16-24 oz bottle, just to add a little of taste.

9 years post op and plain water is still is a no+go, way too often. I was plain water drinker before RNY.

Edited to add: I use liquid stevia as my main sweetener. Most dry artificial sweeteners - the pockets or the bulk packed have bulking agents - mostly dextrose. Dextrose is another sugar - and one pack has less that 1 free so they can call it "0 sugar -carbs" . But 2-3 or 1 cup for baking make have significant (significant for me) carbs my body turns into simple sugars. I may use the pack when I am out and about - but at home I used the liquid.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Donna L.
on 8/11/17 6:12 am - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

I always forget about herbal tea.

Lately I make "lazy" iced tea. I just use a blender bottle plus a tea bag and let it cold brew. I've been trying a lot of new flavors. Lemon and ginger is my favorite herbal one right now. I often won't even use sweetener for that one, just to enjoy the ginger.

I wish I could get more used to liquid stevia. I still haven't found a brand a like.

Mirandia
on 8/10/17 5:24 am
VSG on 03/14/17

I use powered drink mixes that I just add to a bottle of water. They are typically sweetened with aspartame. My favorite is jolly rancher green apple. Looks like this -> https://www.walmart.com/ip/Jolly-Rancher-Singles-To-Go-Low-C alorie-Drink-Mix-Sugar-Free-Green-Apple-6-PK-0-62-OZ/4333694 5

If you fall down you just have to get back up.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 131 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 389 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 421 views