Trouble digesting meats

vsarossy
on 4/20/20 9:56 pm - San Jose, CA

Hello. It has been 12 years since my VSG, and recently if I try eating any sort of meat or fi**** feels like rocks and heaviness in my stomach after just a few bites, an ounce or two. I have tried various forms of preparation and the result is the same. No problems with dairy, eggs, carbs, fruits and veggies or soy/plant based products. Chicken, salmon, white fish instantly hurts. Pork, steak and ham I can handle more of. Turkey bacon, no problem. So what gives with lean and healthier proteins? Anyone else have such an experience?

*Weight lost in 11 months

White Dove
on 4/21/20 5:58 am - Warren, OH

Very strange and I have never heard of this happening to anyone. When I use chicken, I cook it in a pressure cooker first so it is very moist and tender. But I have never had a problem with white fish or salmon. Are you just making those foods too dry and tough?

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

vsarossy
on 4/21/20 7:31 am - San Jose, CA

The meats cooked are not dry, and it doesn't matter if I add any salsa or other items to moisten it even more. Veggie patties and other vegetarian options or eggs feel normal. I can also eat some select forms of steak and pork with no problems. For chicken, I lean in more on thighs, no skin and fat trimmed, but lately having trouble with that too.

White Dove
on 4/21/20 7:36 am - Warren, OH

It is very strange. What did your doctor say?

vsarossy
on 4/21/20 8:55 am, edited 4/21/20 1:58 am - San Jose, CA

My blood tests don't indicate any particular problems with any bodily functions that may trigger issues with digestion. So, a shrug... most doctors don't seem to always know a lot about patients who have undergone the surgery and their side effects, so I thought I would reach out on this forum to see if anyone else has experienced this many years later. My doctor did say that long term VSG patients find the results did not hold as well as some other weight loss surgeries. I'm still below from when I had my surgery, but hormonal changes in the last couple of years have not made it easy to lose gained back weight or keep it down. I still can only eat small portions and remain with a healthy, balanced diet.

White Dove
on 4/21/20 9:03 am - Warren, OH

I have gotten my share of shrugs and "never heard of that before through the years". I got my knowledge mostly from this board.

TheWombat
on 4/30/20 12:40 am, edited 4/29/20 5:40 pm
VSG on 06/11/18

You've already consulted a doctor, but here's something they might not have thought about: You could have developed an allergy to meat. One possible cause of this is a tick bite (https://acaai.org/allergies/types/food-allergies/types-food- allergy/meat-allergy). You can get a tick bite without knowing it. Early on, the only reaction might be digestive discomfort, but be on the lookout for hives or respiratory symptoms.

vsarossy
on 4/30/20 9:31 am - San Jose, CA

Thank you for that thought. When things return to normal, I will likely do a follow up with my doctor. An allergy to meats will be sad for me.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 75 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 277 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 331 views