Dr. Guillermo Alvarez’s Posts

Dr. Guillermo Alvarez
on 5/5/16 2:56 pm
Topic: RE: Newest Episode of the #AskDrA show is live (Episode 44)

Hello everyone! Here's the link to the newest episode of the #AskDrA show. I hope you enjoy it and find it useful. 

https://youtu.be/FG99A0Z43vA

regards, 

Dr. Alvarez

Dr. Guillermo Alvarez
on 10/29/13 3:06 am
Topic: RE: Obesity Chat with Dr. Guillermo Alvarez
Obesity Chat with Dr. A New episode NOW available! There might be an answer to one of your questions!   obesitychat.com www.facebook.com/obesitychat www.twitter.com/obesitychat   http://guillermoalvarez.podomatic.com/entry/2013-10-29T09_50_58-07_00
Dr. Guillermo Alvarez
on 10/22/13 4:19 am
Topic: RE: Obesity Chat with Dr. Guillermo Alvarez
Here's yesterday's Obesity Chat Episode! I hope you enjoy this one as much as I did! :)   http://guillermoalvarez.podomatic.com/entry/2013-10-22T11_08_36-07_00
Dr. Guillermo Alvarez
on 10/16/13 12:32 am
Topic: RE: This week's ObesityChat with Dr. A podcast is now available!

Hello everyone! We just uploaded this week's episode of Obesity Chat with Dr. A. Here's the link. I hope you enjoy it. 

warm regards,

Dr. Alvarez

http://guillermoalvarez.podomatic.com/entry/2013-10-16T07_22_57-07_00

Dr. Guillermo Alvarez
on 10/2/13 6:10 am
Topic: RE: New ObesityChat episode now available!

Hello everyone! Just wanted to let you know that we just uploaded this weeks episode of ObesityChat. I hope you enjoy it!

http://podOmatic.com/r/0JkB

Warm regards, 

Dr. Alvarez

Dr. Guillermo Alvarez
on 9/25/13 6:25 am
Topic: RE: New ObesityChat episode now available!
Just wanted to let you know that the latest episode of ObesityChat is now available. It was a great show and you can listen to the podcast.    http://guillermoalvarez.podomatic.com/entry/2013-09-25T07_44_43-07_00   Regards,  Dr. Alvarez
Dr. Guillermo Alvarez
on 9/10/07 7:44 am
Topic: RE: The Alvarez patient with the leak, JMRTS? Questions
Good Afternoon to everybody: In response to Ms. PeloRojo's post: My leak rate is 0.32% in the VSG procedure. I hope this sets your mind at ease. Regarding the case of Jeannie where a "leak" was presented 2 weeks postop and was not treated with surgery, she developed pneumonia and was treated as such with success. My team and I were in continuous contact with Jeannie in and out of the hospital until she was safe and sound. As far as leaks... I'm still in Portugal were we had the IFSO world congress of WLS this week and here are a few facts FYI. - The majority of leaks are presented in the immediate postop (<1 week) - Leaks are treated surgically in first instance. - In second instance can be treated endoscopically with the use of a stent. - It can be of course related to the surgeons technique, staple line, suturing over the staple line, etc. but that is not everything... Even with all this done perfectly  a patient can still develop a leak. Why? Patients are different in all ways and also respond differently to the surgery. I hope this helps with your doubts about leaks. My team and I will always respond to your questions in an honest and truthful way. Leslie, Annie, Marcella, Cathy, Sherri and Lisa I want to thank you guys for being excellent patients and congratulate you for being so educated in the VSG. This will help you along your journey with excellent outcomes. with warm regards, Dr. Alvarez & Endobariatric.com staff.
Dr. Guillermo Alvarez
on 7/28/07 2:46 am
Topic: RE: E-wall tube--question for Dr. Alvarez maybe?
I'm sorry I've never heard that term before. :( I'll come back to see if someone knows, and this time I can learn from you guys! with warm regards, Dr. Alvarez
Dr. Guillermo Alvarez
on 7/26/07 10:05 am
Topic: RE: Qestion for Dr. Alvarez
Hi Anna! Sorry for the delay in answering your question. It's been pretty busy. Anyways here goes. There are several studies out there that have the comparison of the size of the bougie and the WL the patient has. It is very well know that the larger the Bougie, the less  WL.  The only big difference is that when the Sleeve started out a lot of surgeons used bigger bougies (42,46,48). Now most of the surgeons use 32,34 or 36. Why? Well with those sizes the patient will have more WL. You can go a bit further using a 28 Fr Bougie but now you will be looking for some trouble. Patient could develop strictures, etc... Problems that can be avoided if we stay with the 32, 34 or 36. I Prefer to use the 32 because the patient will have the most WL possible without looking for trouble. Now the sizes of the bougies are made in Fr (French). So you can have a slight idea 3 Fr equal 1 mm aprox. So if you use a 32, 34 or 36 you are looking at 1 or 2 mm difference.  Hope this helps. Let me know ok? If you have any other question feel free to ask, with warm regards, Dr. Alvarez
Dr. Guillermo Alvarez
on 7/11/07 3:51 pm
Topic: RE: Question for Dr Alvarez
Hello Samantha, The answer your your question in yes. It can be done. Please know that it's not an easy procedure. I have only done 2 patients that have had a previous VBG and did a revision to a VSG. The thing that I personally think is very important is the technique used in your previous VBG. Back in the 80's and 90's, some surgeons used a circular stapler which can cause a whole lot of adhesions specially from the posterior wall of the stomach (where the pancreas is). That makes the surgery very difficult but viable. Now there are other surgeons who didn't use this technique and that makes the revision a lot easier.  So what you could do is get your Surgical Report on your procedure and see if they used that circular stapler I'm telling you about.  Now the other question... Open or Laparoscopic approach?  My answer would be laparoscopic approach. But then again that you have to leave to your surgeon to decide. Which ever he feels more comfortable doing. The majority of bariatric surgeons nowadays are very good handling almost any situation with the laparoscope. Hope this answers your question. Let me know if I can help you with anything else. With warm regards, Dr. Alvarez
Dr. Guillermo Alvarez
on 7/4/07 11:43 am
Topic: RE: Question for Dr. Alvarez!!
Hi Betty, That's a great article Marcia found. Indeed Vagus nerve cutting has been used to treat gastric or duodenal ulcers many years ago. Today there are several studies including this one to see the effects on weight loss. Another interesting study is done with the gastric pacemaker which also involves the Vagus nerve. The pacemaker is implanted close the the Vagus nerve which stimulates it's branches to decrease hunger. Well at least that's the idea. But up to date, with this procedure alone, there hasn't been any excellent results as with regular WLS (Gastric Bypass, VSG, Lap-band, etc.). Some surgeons routinely cut or clipp the Vagus nerve, specially in the RNY. I personally cut certain branches when I do the VSG, but not the main trunks of the nerve. This gives an extra plus on diminishing the hunger. Studies are continuing and we'll have to wait on the results to see if it convenient for us to do this "extra step". Hope this helps! Happy 4th of July! with warm regards, Dr. Alvarez
Dr. Guillermo Alvarez
on 6/22/07 1:56 am
Topic: RE: Question for Dr Alvarez
Hi Frances. Congratulations on your way to becoming a healthier person! You'll love it. Regarding your question it is important to do antacids. I personally also give every VSG patient antacid. No matter if they don't have a history of reflux, etc. So, yes go ahead and take them. They'll help a whole lot to reduce the amount of acid production in your stomach. Hope this helps! with warm regards, Dr. Alvarez
Dr. Guillermo Alvarez
on 6/21/07 12:21 pm
Topic: RE: 60 year old princess REJECTED!!!!!!!
Hello, I'm Dr. Alvarez. I did a case like your a couple of weeks ago. She also had trouble finding someone to do a revision surgery. She got rejected many times because it is a difficult case. She also had a previous stomach stapling (not laparoscopic). Which I assume is what you had. Send me an email at [email protected]. I can probably help you.  (Great your in TX!) Do you have a barium swallow? How about your previous OR report? with warm regards, Dr. Alvarez
Dr. Guillermo Alvarez
on 6/21/07 12:04 pm
Topic: RE: Dr. Alvarez....
Hi Kashia. Sorry for the delay in answering your question. I've been kinda busy in the OR. Anyways, to answer your question. the pylorus is a very important natural "valve" that is conserved with the VSG surgery. That is the great thing about it. The surgery is more physiological and will not give you dumping syndrome with is very common in the RNY. With the VSG the pylorus will function normally as it is intended to function. Not with the RNY. Hope this helps and answers your question. If not let me know. My email is [email protected]. with warm regards, Dr. Alvarez
Dr. Guillermo Alvarez
on 6/14/07 2:14 am
Topic: RE: Dr. Alvarez-question??
Try Metamucil. It should be OTC in the states. Use as directed twice daily. Morning and evening. Don't be impressed if the loose stools continue for a few more days. Just give it time to work. Probably a week. Let me know how it goes. Sorry I couldn't post any sooner. I've been busy in the OR. :) your friend and doctor, Dr. Alvarez P.S. for the shingles, you can use other pain medications, but local treatment is better to prevent excess NSAID's in your new banana.
Dr. Guillermo Alvarez
on 6/13/07 3:32 am
Topic: RE: For Dr. Alvarez.
Hi Julia. I see you are more than 4 weeks post-op. Your diet should be balanced eating good carbs, protein and fat. There is no magic number. That's why you see a lot of variations out there.  Why?, becuase protein, carbs and fat all give you calories. Your total calorie count must not be over 1000 per day. That is the most important thing. So if you take enough protiens (70-75% of calories daily), carbs (10-20%) and fat (5-10%) and you don't go over 1,000 cal thats the way you should go. Hope this helps. Let me know. with warm regards, Dr. Alvarez
Dr. Guillermo Alvarez
on 6/11/07 11:22 pm
Topic: RE: Dr. Alvarez and back to basics
Wow Dorothy! 40 lbs! Congratulations! Keep up the good work! I sure will tell Rosie ok? Take care and great hearing from you! :) I'll see you around here then! Dr. Alvarez
Dr. Guillermo Alvarez
on 6/11/07 1:53 am
Hi Kashia, a real pleasure to meet you. I'm happy that my team has been there for you to clear everything up. If there is something else I can help you with, please feel free. My personal email is [email protected]. Have a great week and hope to see you soon!
Dr. Guillermo Alvarez
on 6/10/07 1:03 am
Thank you so much everybody for that warm and kind welcome!   Great to see a lot of my former patients and also patients from other colleges who are so intrested in the VSG and getting their weight off! Hope I can be of some help! Have a great day! Dr. A
Dr. Guillermo Alvarez
on 6/9/07 10:34 am
Thank you for inviting me to the forum Dirk. Hope we can help some people with questions. I'm really new at this and will try to be here as often as I can. Have a great weekend. Dr. A
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 77 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 284 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 336 views