Who has had WISH C. PreOp appointment?

Annie O.
on 8/6/03 4:24 pm - Anacortes, WA
If you are a participant of the WISH Center and have had your pre-op appointment, I would like to know what it is they do. I know they will review your logs and checklist... how closely do they look at the logs? Why is it they want a support person there? Do they give you the 'yay' 'nay' for final approval for surgery ON that day? Please post your answer here, as I know there are a few others awaiting their pre-op visit too. Thanks! Annie
Sasha A.
on 8/7/03 8:02 am - Buckley, WA
Hi Annie! I am a post op through the Wish Center. At my pre op appt. they weighed me (I was up but the nurse told me that happens a lot since you are eating more often), took vitals and I met w/all of the same people that I met with on my initial consult. Robbi (the nutritionist) took my logs out of the room and went over them. She was mostly interested in making sure I had been eating protein w/all of my meals. They are also very interested in making sure you are doing your exercise. The support person has to be there so that they are aware of what changes you are going to be going through and be prepared to help you. My husband went with me and the nurse taught both of us how to give me the heparin shots that you will be on for 2 weeks after surgery. Finally you meet w/the doctor who goes over all of your labs and stuff. He answered all of our questions. They gave me the "Yay" on that day. I was really nervous/scared before that appt. but it went well. They are so awesome at the Wish Center! Best Wishes!
keva M.
on 8/8/03 8:32 am - Arlington, WA
I just had my 2nd visit yesterday. Everything went smoothly although they were VERY busy, so be prepared for a wait possibly. Be sure to keep up those logs, they definitely will go over them. Depending on what type of surgery you're having (Open or Lap) you'll view another computer training session that is specific to that type. It's great to have your support person there as they may catch or think of things you forget. I got a bit jittery when Dr. A was going over all the possible things that could happen, but they just want you to be well informed. Found out I have to have my gall bladder removed also, as they dectected gallstones during my ultrasound. Doc says it's better to do it now while they're in there, than later and another surgery. Got my list of scrips to fill and will probably hit Costco next week to stock up before surgery on the 20th. Everyone was very nice, including some of the Valley Medical staff who I met when I went to pay for my hospital and anesthesia (I'm self-pay, another Regence insured(? HA!) here).
Most Active