getting new insurance -best one for someone obese? (not seeking WLS at this time)

nia111
on 3/22/11 1:29 pm
Hey everyone,

I was wondering if anyone had any feedback on how I should go about searching for new insurance?
Anyone have any idea what insurance would be the best pick and least expensive in terms of extra preniums for someone who is obese?
I am in AZ, if that helps.

I have checked a bit online and even had some things sent to me but it seems like specific weight cut offs for being denied or what you have to pay for a BMI above 30, for instance, aren't that easy to find.

I'd appreciate any help or response on this, and I'm really hoping I can find new insurance... I can't imagine not having health insurance,

Thanks,

Nia
shantele7824
on 3/23/11 12:58 am - SAN PABLO, CA
Do you have insurance now or how long has it been since you have had insurance??
First Meeting with Surgeon:2/10/2011  weight was 460
Surgery Date:5/03/2011  Weight was 428
Revsion To RNY 06/26/2012 Weight 

nia111
on 3/28/11 1:39 am
Hello, yes, I do have insurance right now.
Blazade
on 3/23/11 1:08 am - Onalaska, WI
Call a local  Independent Insurance agency that specializes in Health Insurance. They will have contracts with all the major insurers in your area and will be able to talk to underwriters to find out their underwriting rules.  This is not the kind of thing you can or should do yourself online.

Robert

nia111
on 3/28/11 1:44 am
Yeah, I kind of already figured out I can't do it myself, online. I have been talking to an insurance guy and he has sent me some stuff, but so far it's not very helpful. And even on lot's of the applications I have been sent it doesn't say much about their restrictions or prices when it come to extra weight. He sent me one for Blue Cross Blue Shield and that is definitely not the best option for me. Thanks for your response, I guess I'll try with another agency.
JENNI-8yrsPostOP
on 3/23/11 2:30 am
Weight Loss surgery is covered by each employer's disgression. Each company picks their coverage - therefore, Blue Cross and Blue Shield may cover it if you work at the university but your BCBS policy may not cover it if you work at a school as a teacher. Each employer picks their exclusions and many have wls as an exclusion. YOu'll have to check policies for wls if that interests you in the future. For coverage while overweight, many insurance plans have copays for health clubs, quitting smoking plans, exercise plans and online help for overweight patients working on improving their health. Insurance carrier no longer determines what's covered. Employers now pick and choose their coverages. Talk to the HR person at your work or whoever does your insurance enrollment. they can help.

Jen 9 yrs post op
nia111
on 3/28/11 1:50 am
Thanks for your response. Unfortunately, it's not very helpful for me because I don't have a job and don't plan to have one for a while and I'm not getting WLS. I'm taking some time off after college before I go to graduate school and am still a dependent so my family is looking to change my health insurance and they are paying for it. Sorry, I probably should have made that clear in my original post.
Most Active