3 wks post-op. 9 pounds down?

marnew
on 3/22/11 6:20 am - Vancouver, Canada
Hi everybody:

This may seem like a silly question, but I am just over 3 weeks post-op and have only lost 9 pounds since surgery. From what I have been reading on the OH Website, most people seem to lose more than that in the early days.

Does this sound normal to you? Perhaps I need to be drinking more water? Exercising (haven't really done anything yet except a few very short walks)? More protein?

Any thoughts would be much appreciated,

Marina 
  HW 235?, SW 206, CW 125, GW 150      
liveagain1973
on 3/22/11 7:27 am - Austin, TX
VSG on 10/26/10 with
I can tell you that EVERYONE loses at different rates. I know from experience that this is the time that you look out around you to see if you're on par with what's considered "normal". As you progress, you'll see that this isn't always good. Right now, your body is healing and adjusting. It's just gone through a MAJOR change. Give yourself some time and try your best to focus on getting your water, your vitamins, and your protein in per the instructions you've been given. It's easier said than done, but focus on getting your rhythm with this and developing good habits. The weight will begin to come off, I promise.
Angel
Follow me on Twitter @willufight4life
Follow my story 
http://www.fight4yourlifeonline.org
Like Us on Facebook - http://www.facebook.com/pages/Fight-for-Your-Life/154352644613091

Hvhmom
on 3/22/11 7:32 am - raleigh, NC
I feel your pain!!!  I lost ZERO the first week.  By the second week, the weight starting falling off.  Today, I am 4 weeks out and down 24 pounds.   I had my fears as well and I STILL have my fingers crossed but I can't see not losing weight.  Hang in there and keep up your fluids & protein.  I just started exercising yesterday BUT I have been walking around the malls, target, etc. since day 3.
Good luck & wish you all the best!

HW 269/SW 263/CW 184/GW 135                        
Building A Cocoon
on 3/22/11 7:46 am - South Central PA, PA
From what I see you are starting out as a "light weight". You have less to lose than many so it would come off a bit slower. Don't worry! It will happen if you're doing the right things.
juliW
on 3/22/11 7:54 am - Spindale, NC
Everybody's body reacts differently.....

My best advice is don't worry about what other people lost in their first 3 weeks. Celebrate what YOU have lost in your first 3 weeks!!! 9 pounds! Awesome!

Your body is trying to recover from major major surgery -- you have a newly reworked gut, plus a lot of fluids were pumped into your body in the hospital. Losing 9 pounds in 3 weeks after that sort of internal shock is perfect. It's how your body is reacting to the process early on. 

Congratulations on starting your journey!!! :o)  

SpankyVybez
on 3/22/11 8:07 am - Brooklyn, NY
VSG on 03/01/11 with
 are you constipated?  I felt my weight was coming off kinda slow too, then I realized that I hadnt been going.   Once I took the Milk of Magnesia, my weight started moving.

I think the iron supplement keeps me constipated. even though I use Benefiber/  I still have to use it.  I used it 2x already and I am 3wks out too

Denial delays progress and resolution                
Elizabeth N.
on 3/22/11 12:29 pm - Burlington County, NJ
If your ticker is accurate, you have lost 15% of your excess weight in three weeks. For me, where I had 240 pounds to lose, that would have been 36 pounds. See how comparing numbers of pounds will mislead you? Go by percentages instead.
Most Active