Do you count your protein drink towards your daily fluids?

tee_lee
on 3/25/11 4:37 am - Columbia, SC
I am really having a hard time getting all my fluids in. I just can't even seem to get 64 ounces in. About 1/4 or more of my fluids comes from my protein drinks.

However, my surgeon told me last week that I can't count my protein drinks as fluids. grrr. That means I won't even come close to getting my fluids if I don't count them.

Do you count yours?

Lady Lithia
on 3/25/11 4:44 am
If I didn't count my protein drinks towards my fluids, there would be many days that I could honestly record ZERO ounces of liquid.. It's almost all I drink.

~Lady Lithia~ 200 lbs lost! 
March 9, 2011 - Coccygectomy!
I chased my dreams, and my dreams, they caught me!
giraffesmiley.gif picture by hardyharhar_bucket

Chilipepper
on 3/25/11 4:46 am, edited 3/25/11 4:46 am
No, that is completely seperate...there are 24 hours in a day...have you ever dehydrated...I did..its ugly...take water to bed with you...always have some kind of drink going.

I also wanted to add....liquid isn't just to keep up from dehydrating...its needed to wash out the fat and impurities our bodies are burning off....it is vital to keep your kidneys healthy.  This isn't and "I can't"...this is an "I must...drink my fluids"

"The first thing I do in the morning is brush my teeth and sharpen my tongue." --- Dorothy Parker  

"You may not like what I say or how I say it, but it may be just exactly what you need to hear." ---Kathryn White

tee_lee
on 3/25/11 5:05 am - Columbia, SC
Yes, actually I have been dehydrated several times.

I do understand the importance of drinking. I just have a very hard time doing so and am trying anyway I can. My question was in reference though to if you count your protein drink towards your fluids.

I mix mine with water so have always counted it.

Marny B.
on 3/25/11 4:51 am - Canada
My dietician at my clinic said I could count any fluid as long as it is decafinated towards my 2L of fluids, so yes, I count my protein shakes (I use the kind you mix with water), as well as tea, or a skim milk late if I have one, etc...

Referral Sent:  March 19, 2010
Surgery date with Dr. Denis Hong: December 9, 2010

poet_kelly
on 3/25/11 4:53 am - OH

Sure.

Why did he say you couldn't?

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

tee_lee
on 3/25/11 5:08 am - Columbia, SC
Kelly,

He said that protein drinks are considered meals, not fluids. That we don't absorb it as a fluid?

Just didn't make sense to me and I wondered how many others out there have been counting it? I'll admit however, I am not a surgeon.

Just wanted to see what others had to say on the subject of counting protein drinks as fluids.

poet_kelly
on 3/25/11 5:09 am - OH
Of course we absorb it as a fluid.  That makes no sense to me.  I can't tell you what to do and I'm not a surgeon either... but it makes no sense to me.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Chilipepper
on 3/25/11 5:04 am
Clear liquids are what is needed to flush out the kidneys...when I dehydrated...they reaffirmed to me that the 64oz was in addition to the shakes and any coffee I drank.  You guys can do what you want...but I don't want to go through what I went through again...I drink my clears in addition to my fluids.  Apparently..the OP was told something along the same lines....that is why she is questioning it..

"The first thing I do in the morning is brush my teeth and sharpen my tongue." --- Dorothy Parker  

"You may not like what I say or how I say it, but it may be just exactly what you need to hear." ---Kathryn White

tee_lee
on 3/25/11 5:12 am - Columbia, SC
No, actually he told me that I can drink Crystal Light or another SF drink mix, I can count SF popscicles towards my fluids - just can't count protein.

And I actually like my protein drink and will drink it! lol

Most Active