Edit

Dionysus
on 4/4/11 7:05 am, edited 5/6/11 1:01 pm
Edit
(deactivated member)
on 4/4/11 7:44 am - Charlotte, NC
I believe that if you need/want the surgery, you can get it...regardless of the "new" health-care. If they make you jump through hoops, then become an expert jumper. I was made to do the jumps and did them. I made a friend AT the insurance company (back in 1995) and she got fired for 'helping my paper work get to where it needed". She was overweight and wanted to have Gastric Bypass, too. I finally had to find the CEO of that Ins Co and made a call to HIM...and told him ALL that I'd done to get the surgery and HOW much it would save the same insurance company in my next 40yrs of not being fat. I asked him IF I needed to contact an attorney and he OK'd the surgery. It was a 2 year jumping through hoops, but I won! If you will get a notebook and keep every bit of paperwork, each person's name and date/time you spoke to them and what you spoke about, you'll have some ammo down the road.
I still believe that Bariatric Surgery changes lives and also keeps us out of the doctors offices with diabetes and hypertension AT LEAST.
Hope it helps~NEVER let someone tell you NO, who doesn't have the power to do so in the first place (as the workers in the insurance companies).
Dionysus
on 4/4/11 7:55 am
Winnie_the_Pooh
on 4/4/11 8:11 am
My insurance company approval took 2 days.  I am diabetic,  have sleep apnea, PCOS, arthritis in both knees. I take 4 meds a day. It is better for them to pay for WLS than pay for my long term effects of illness caused by or made worse by obesity.  I think SMART insurance companies are learning this. 

Winnie

Dionysus
on 4/4/11 8:25 am
Lorrainecma
on 4/4/11 8:34 am
BCBS of NC approves very quickly, but that is because they realize the long term benefits, and the money they could save in the long run.
Dionysus
on 4/4/11 8:40 am
cowgrl53
on 4/5/11 3:07 am - NM
I had Lovelace in NM and had no problems getting approved with being diabetic......

worth appeals if you need too..

Cowgrl
Get support in the Phentermine forums!

Dionysus
on 4/5/11 5:46 am
Winnie_the_Pooh
on 4/5/11 7:00 am, edited 4/5/11 7:01 am
I have SummaCare.  It is an Ohio based company but I do know they sell insurance in at least two other states:  Flordia and Vermont.   But like the others said.  It is not necessarily the insurance company.  Employers can add or subtract specific riders from their coverage.

Winnie

Most Active